Cam choice help!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James malone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone I have a question regarding the 5.7. I have a 2017 ram express and I'm stuck on what cam to use(for the repair of the lifter cam failure).I want something little more than stock but don't want it crazy. I commute for 2 hours every day, so I need it reliable. There are so many choices, and I'm not sure what to get. Could someone experienced with this please point me in the right direction.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Honestly, I would use the stock non-MDS 6.4 cam: Mopar part# 5037379BC. This will save you a lot of heaches.

Make sure you unlock your ECM and disable your MDS before you start your engine. Don't cut the MDS connectors off the harness, just tuck them away.

OP
OP
J

James malone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going with Texas speed mds delete kit and they have a stock grind but if I can get a little more I'd be happy. I think the next is stage 1 but that's uncharted territory for me. I don't want to bite off to much

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Contact Matt at Moes / Ryan at Flying Ryan Performance / Dave at MMX /Jay at Green Racing /TSP (Texas Speed) etc,give them your truck specs and what all you plan to do for future mods,and who you're using to tune it,and they'll be able to help you out better then the guys on here, they deal in cams every day.If you don't know what your truck weighes,find a scale and weigh it,as one of the first questions they'll ask you,is what does the truck weigh,and what gears does it have

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FRP has an awesome daily driver truck cam.

I pulled the mds harness and trimmed out all the useless wires. Last thing you want is a bunch of connectors flopping around.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No it wont. and its a horrible cam profile compared to what FRP and MOes offer.
I'm a frugal person and don't like to unnecesarely blow money on a custom tune and fancy parts. So I wouldn't advice someone else to do something I wouldn't do. I recommended the OP the lowest cost option that yields good results. I can understand that everyone wants to recommend their tuner friends so they can make some money, and that's fine by me. I just don't see myself spending that kind of money. It's even worse after you had the misfortune of lifter failure. To each his own I guess.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm a frugal person and don't like to unnecesarely blow money on a custom tune and fancy parts. So I wouldn't advice someone else to do something I wouldn't do. I recommended the OP the lowest cost option that yields good results. I can understand that everyone wants to recommend their tuner friends so they can make some money, and that's fine by me. I just don't see myself spending that kind of money. It's even worse after you had the misfortune of lifter failure. To each his own I guess.
You're not running the non-MDS 6.4 cam with-out a custom tune.The cam you're reconmending is the SRT 6.4 manual transmission Challenger cam, it's a pretty aggresive cam for a 5.7 and will need to be custom tuned to run properly in a basically stock 5.7,a canned Diablo tune won't do it.

Last edited:

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i run the mmx mds delete kit with their no tune required cam. Runs fine on a stock tune. I run it on a superchimps tune. Def pulls harder than stock - no doubt it could be better with a custom tune, but i don't want to deal with that on this truck (got tired of it on my previous cammed 2005 ram).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That "custom" tune is probably the same tune everyone else gets.
Better find yourself a better tuner then,lol.Some tuners do have generic tunes for the same engine combo's,but the better tuners should be looking at your logs and giving you a tune specific to your engine requirements.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Better find yourself a better tuner then,lol.Some tuners do have generic tunes for the same engine combo's,but the better tuners should be looking at your logs and giving you a tune specific to your engine requirements.
Oh man...