Cam info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deddycotton13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
I am about to start a rebuild of my 2000 ram 2500 4x4. My main question is the cam. I do do a lot of hauling and towing. And I was wanting to upgrade the cam while I have the engine torn apart. I do plan on going with an aftermarket intake and fuel system. But was wondering if anyone had any input or suggestions for the proper cam for which I use the truck for. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
That’s still a loaded question. Custom grind rollers are best. If you’re still using the OEM FI, there are some cams that don’t require to reprogram the PCM. However, you truly must have a solid plan. If not, the 360@ Magnum gets pricey. Towing? this comes down to your budget. Trust me when I say, call John at Southeast Performance. The EFI in this system is pretty good. You need a cam that gets all the power down in the low RPM band. The 46re needs some attention too. 5 disk drum and 5 or 6 pin steel gears, shift kit, OD New Spring. I also installed al the billet items as well as the modified press reg.
Stay with a 114 LSA. If you’re towing, you need vacuum.
Stroker? 10:1 compression will be good for low end torque, power and efficiency. OR....get a supercharger.
If you go nuts, a simple rebuild with forged slugs balanced internally and supercharged. Torque and power low to 4000 rpms. Call John. Southeast RT.net.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You're better off sticking with the stock cam if you do a lot of towing and hauling. Do some longtube headers and a tune and you'll get more towing benefit out of those 2 things than anything else other than gears.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Comp cams # 20-602-9
Grind# GRS262HR-12
Great power from 1500 t0 5500 RPM good vacuum
Just add new valve springs SN#:042221-17
I put that in my 5.9 and my 5.2 couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk