Camshaft upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollywood3rdgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2006 ram 1500 with the 5.7 and I'm looking at camming it to get a nice chop sound. As I'm looking at the kits for it and I'm seeing mostly MDS kits. Now I know my truck doesn't have MDS but will the MDS kit still work with my truck or do I have to find one that's non MDS?

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2006 ram 1500 with the 5.7 and I'm looking at camming it to get a nice chop sound. As I'm looking at the kits for it and I'm seeing mostly MDS kits. Now I know my truck doesn't have MDS but will the MDS kit still work with my truck or do I have to find one that's non MDS?
1. Yes, your truck DOES have MDS unless you or others removed it (all 1500's 2006+ have it).
2. Are you actually trying to make power or do you just want poser noise? Has anything else been done to the truck (gears, full exhaust, etc, not CAI & a muffler)?

OP
OP
Hollywood3rdgen

Hollywood3rdgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Yes, your truck DOES have MDS unless you or others removed it (all 1500's 2006+ have it).
2. Are you actually trying to make power or do you just want poser noise? Has anything else been done to the truck (gears, full exhaust, etc, not CAI & a muffler)?
I would like to get a good sound while also getting some better performance from it. Basically just wanna know what exactly I actually need to get

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Certain cams will work with MDS but it really depends on the tuner. Inertia seems to be the only place that outright says some of their non-VVT cams will work with MDS; every other vendor I've seen says absolutely not. For example: http://inertiamotorsports.com/camshafts.html
Having experienced it all around, MDS is awesome in the cars, especially on long trips whereas MDS in trucks just sucks. I'm glad mine doesn't have it and I would probably get rid of it if it did.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45