Can’t get sport bumper insert out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having trouble taking out insert on sport front bumper. Tried looking it up but peoples instructions were very unclear. Any help would be appreciated!

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remeber when I pulled mine out to cut holes in it for tow hooks that reaching the corner tabs was sort of a pain, but you should be able to just pop all the plastic tabs out with a screwdriver from the back side, flex and turn it a little and pull it out from the front. The entire sport bumper flexes so that helps too.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I remeber when I pulled mine out to cut holes in it for tow hooks that reaching the corner tabs was sort of a pain, but you should be able to just pop all the plastic tabs out with a screwdriver from the back side, flex and turn it a little and pull it out from the front. The entire sport bumper flexes so that helps too.
I used a hack saw blade and cut my tow hook holes thin and easy to cut the mesh so it went around the tow hooks not leaving any open space around them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Helps if you have an extra set of hands to push on the insert from the back,as you release the tabs. They like to re-latch themselves once you move over to the next tab

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Helps if you have an extra set of hands to push on the insert from the back,as you release the tabs. They like to re-latch themselves once you move over to the next tab
The problem is I can’t figure out how to release the tabs. Everyone says use a screwdriver but it feels like the damn thing is stuck.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sorry but I don’t understand what U mean by flex. Step by step would be amazing if u could tell me, cause I don’t even know if I’m doing it right.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The problem is I can’t figure out how to release the tabs. Everyone says use a screwdriver but it feels like the damn thing is stuck.
It's been a 1/2 dozen years since i had mine out,and if i remember right i had to use a long shanked thin flat blade screwdriver,and slowly work each tab loose,while pushing on the insert from the front,till the tab released,and then pushing on it from the back to keep the tab released,while moving over to the next tab. That's where the extra set of hands came in handy.Good news is the insert isn't all that expensive if you do break it.I bought an extra (still have it) insert in case i did break it,and at that time it was under 30 bucks Canuck from the local dealer,i haven't priced one out lately,but it shouldn't be all that expensive even now.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
" 30 bucks Canuck "
:hail:
As a Canadian I think this description is the best I've ever heard, I'm going to be using it from time to time now when I'm talking to someone from down south. :favorites13:

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been a 1/2 dozen years since i had mine out,and if i remember right i had to use a long shanked thin flat blade screwdriver,and slowly work each tab loose,while pushing on the insert from the front,till the tab released,and then pushing on it from the back to keep the tab released,while moving over to the next tab. That's where the extra set of hands came in handy.Good news is the insert isn't all that expensive if you do break it.I bought an extra (still have it) insert in case i did break it,and at that time it was under 30 bucks Canuck from the local dealer,i haven't priced one out lately,but it shouldn't be all that expensive even now.
I’m putting in a brush guard which needs that piece removed. So if I can’t get it out I will probably just cut the tabs off. Was not worried in the first place about breaking it, just wanted to see if there was any other way to get those tabs out. Thanks for your help!

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
By any chance are you guys talking about these or the longer version?

bumpy.jpg

I was also trying to get mine out so I can mount some Fogs

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can try the panel removal tool. Look like a mini-prybar with a v in it. Also you have to pull the center of the plastic rivets out first.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try the panel removal tool. Look like a mini-prybar with a v in it. Also you have to pull the center of the plastic rivets out first.
Yeah I figured it out, I was trying to pull it out from the front like an idiot