Can Accelerating My Ram 3500 Like A Funny Car Damage It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I notice the red line on my 6.7 is 3,200 rpm. Can aggressively accelerating my 3500 damage the engine?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
won't damage the engine but the transmission won't like it.
Engine wise you can stand on the accelerator and let it run at it's rpm limit, any failures would most like be from a defective part not from anything you do it in stock form in a Ram truck.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
won't damage the engine but the transmission won't like it.
Engine wise you can stand on the accelerator and let it run at it's rpm limit, any failures would most like be from a defective part not from anything you do it in stock form in a Ram truck.
How about the Aisin Trans, which is what I have?

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Dragging with your Big Truck? lol...
Without a load, going up hill, the 6.7 dually will break traction and chirp, setting one back into their seat. When I was young, I had a worked 426 hemi Roadrunner, and I did not feel anything like what this Cummins will do.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without a load, going up hill, the 6.7 dually will break traction and chirp, setting one back into their seat. When I was young, I had a worked 426 hemi Roadrunner, and I did not feel anything like what this Cummins will do.
BOIRD neva been in a big dually Cummins, just gas powered and lil 3.0 ED. Bet U wish U still had that RoadRunner in your garage. I know there were a few I wish I still had too. I will not get into the should you or should you not, your ride, yer wallet.

Now have been in Military M35A2's and 5 tons, but that is different.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How about the Aisin Trans, which is what I have?
Both the transmissions behind the Cummins rely on torque management programming, it's only a matter of time before something will wear and the transmission programming can no longer compensate.
As a Cummins engineer pointed out what was holding back the torque output of their engines is a transmission that can handle the power

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Both the transmissions behind the Cummins rely on torque management programming, it's only a matter of time before something will wear and the transmission programming can no longer compensate.
As a Cummins engineer pointed out what was holding back the torque output of their engines is a transmission that can handle the power
So, the very stout Aisin can handle the power.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I notice the red line on my 6.7 is 3,200 rpm. Can aggressively accelerating my 3500 damage the engine?

Why would you want to run the engine at that high of an RPM? Just because that is where its red lined at does not mean you should run it there for a long length of time. I was taught by old school mechanics once you go past 2800/2900 your asking for problems but maybe these newer 6.7 can easily take all 3200 but I'm not going to find out because don't have the coin if the engine goes south....

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Have you ever uttered the words, "Hold my Beer!"

Genuinely curious, over here.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Why would you want to run the engine at that high of an RPM? Just because that is where its red lined at does not mean you should run it there for a long length of time. I was taught by old school mechanics once you go past 2800/2900 your asking for problems but maybe these newer 6.7 can easily take all 3200 but I'm not going to find out because don't have the coin if the engine goes south....
I was asking about this because I had just taken a pickup truck enthusiast for a short ride along in my 3500 dually, in our little SW AZ desert town and wanted him to see what this inline 6 cylinder can do (he was in disbelief when I had mentioned it was a 6 cylinder). On a straight slight uphill grade, I punched it a little. Not to the floor, but I did get into the accelerator quite a bit, for a couple seconds. And, as almost always do around twon, in the posted 25 mph zones, I gear limit to 3rd. So, I think it impressed us both due to 3rd gear acceleration. This wasn't something I regularly do, and I am aware of that poorly designed CP4.2 pump. Afterwards, I realized that I had not looked at the tachometer, and wondered just how much beyond the 3200 rpm I had gone. :oops: So, I got slightly worried and wanted to run it by you guys.

As for the Aisin trans in this rig, soon after I bought the truck, new in Jan '20 I was talking with the Service Director at Larry H Miller and he told me that of all the thousands--or tens of thousands of Aisin trans that had by that time been running in the 5th Gen Rams--there had been only one failure, and it was suspected it had failed due to abuse. So, you guys can rest assured, it's not everyday that I do what I had done yesterday.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The dealer told you so it must be true . Ha ha ha ha .

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And, as almost always do around twon, in the posted 25 mph zones, I gear limit to 3rd. So, I think it impressed us both due to 3rd gear acceleration.
No need to gear limit with a Cummins (or just about any diesel) as they make they're torque down low. The Cummins produces more torque just above idle than any of the Hemi engines do at their peak(4K rpms).

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
The dealer told you so it must be true . Ha ha ha ha .
A Service Director would know a whole heck of a lot more about that Aisin Transmission than I. He's not in the Sales Dept, and I had already purchased the truck. What would be the point of him fabricating those statistics?
There’s always a weak point, keep it up and you will find it.

Is it still under warranty?
Yes, but the power train warranty, what is it, 36 months? Expires on Jan 31 of next year. Only have 15,000 miles on it.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Service Director would know a whole heck of a lot more about that Aisin Transmission than I. He's not in the Sales Dept, and I had already purchased the truck. What would be the point of him fabricating those statistics?

Yes, but the power train warranty, what is it, 36 months? Expires on Jan 31 of next year. Only have 15,000 miles on it.
Powertrain warranty on cummins is 5 years, 100,000 miles. Also, I would say it is a cummins...beat the **** out of it and it won't mind at all. Unless the CP4 blows, but that could happen idling the damn thing. I have had several cummins engines, all but 1 had tuners and injector and turbo upgrades. Never had 1 single problem with any of them. The cummins is a beast. Don't worry about putting the pedal to the floor!!

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Powertrain warranty on cummins is 5 years, 100,000 miles. Also, I would say it is a cummins...beat the **** out of it and it won't mind at all. Unless the CP4 blows, but that could happen idling the damn thing. I have had several cummins engines, all but 1 had tuners and injector and turbo upgrades. Never had 1 single problem with any of them. The cummins is a beast. Don't worry about putting the pedal to the floor!!
Great post. You made me feel proud. Thank you!

This is a product I've been using at a high ratio ever since new. Because I was aware of the CP4 pump issue......

1668372268850.png

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great post. You made me feel proud. Thank you!

This is a product I've been using at a high ratio ever since new. Because I was aware of the CP4 pump issue......

View attachment 506823
I used Diesel Kleen when I had my ED, and they have Summer and Winter Blends.