can anyone answer a couple of questions for me please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
first question.i have some noise that i suspect is coming from something serp. belt driven.my question is, c an i take the belt off and start my truck for a couple of sec. without doing any damage or throwing codes? second question.when i shut my truck off and remove the key my steering wheel does not lock.is this normal or does something need to be repaired/replaced? any help would be greatly appreciated,thanx.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wheel does not immediately lock, no. In fact I dunno if I've ever actually locked my wheel in my 03 come to think of it lol. Yes, you can run it real quick without the belt, but the truck won't like it; be cognizant of the fact that your alternator, PS pump, A/C compressor and water pump will not be turning. You will get a light for the alternator and you don't really want to run it without circulating coolant. The HVAC will attempt to run the compressor if the switch is on for A/C or defrost; make sure HVAC is completely off. The noise you're worried about is very likely from the tensioner or one of the idler pullies. I would remove the belt and check those before you even try to crank it up without the belt. Usually they're pretty painfully obvious.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
i just replaced belt,tensioner and both idlers.by the time i can get a scope on it the noise is gone and a/c,alt.,w/p and p/s is quiet

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
and also,thank you for answering,appreciate it...

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
i only need to run it for a couple sec..the noise will either be there right away or not

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
good to know about the steering wheel lock,i have been wondering about that for a long time .some people are saying you have to turn the wheel 180 deg. so its upside down to lock it.that sounds pretty f***** up to me.anyhow i am not too worried about theft,its usually parked in sight and i have a great security system,smith and wesson......