can bus with no gauges in an 04 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94ram15004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 crew cab 4x4
Engine
cummins 12 valve
Ive been searching and cant seem to find an answer. I have found a 04 3500 crew cab dually with no drivetrain. when they pulled the engine they cut the harness and took the fuse box, abs and computers. I have a 12 valve that I am going to put in to it with a nv5600. so the only reason I need the electronics to work is for the gauges. The plan was to pull the wires for the gauges i need and leave the check engine light on for the others. The only thing I can see loosing is the wait to start and wif, With that being said. I found a 04 gas 5.7 harness and pcm for cheap and was going to modify that. I can get all my lights to operates, the dash now works and everything interior works. I went to start on figuring out the gauges and im running in to issues. my scan tool will not connect, also tried a friends. just gives a generic connection error.

When I run the dash diagnostics I get multiple codes AA, AC, AD and AE. ok, looks like the can bus system is down. instantly go to checking power and grounds for the data link- plugs #4 and 5 have good ground. pin 16 has good 12 volts. I back probe pin 2 and only get .3volts but it cycles between that and .00 I have no resistance between pins 7 and 12. When the battery is disconnected and only my meter is hooked up im getting 12 volts on pin 2. Pins 7 and 12 have no short to power or ground and are good to the pcm

I have disconnected the abs, radio, pcm, tcm, fbc/ fuse box, hvac, compass.

Im wondering what routes others would go on. I know its a mix match of parts, Ive swapped different computers before and they will at least talk. Im trying to figure out if i have a bad part, or my idea wont work. The reason Im trying to make it work is because I have yet to find a diesel ecm and wiring harness for the truck.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do my own vehicle electrical, but this is way beyond anything I've attempted to do. Just looking at what you are saying above, you are using a gas wiring harness (and gas PCM?) from a 5.7 Hemi in a diesel. I don't think that's going to work - but someone with more experience, please correct me if I am wrong.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do my own vehicle electrical, but this is way beyond anything I've attempted to do. Just looking at what you are saying above, you are using a gas wiring harness (and gas PCM?) from a 5.7 Hemi in a diesel. I don't think that's going to work - but someone with more experience, please correct me if I am wrong.
There are ways to fool the canbus but that is something above my knowledge.
Ive been searching and cant seem to find an answer. I have found a 04 3500 crew cab dually with no drivetrain. when they pulled the engine they cut the harness and took the fuse box, abs and computers. I have a 12 valve that I am going to put in to it with a nv5600. so the only reason I need the electronics to work is for the gauges. The plan was to pull the wires for the gauges i need and leave the check engine light on for the others. The only thing I can see loosing is the wait to start and wif, With that being said. I found a 04 gas 5.7 harness and pcm for cheap and was going to modify that. I can get all my lights to operates, the dash now works and everything interior works. I went to start on figuring out the gauges and im running in to issues. my scan tool will not connect, also tried a friends. just gives a generic connection error.

When I run the dash diagnostics I get multiple codes AA, AC, AD and AE. ok, looks like the can bus system is down. instantly go to checking power and grounds for the data link- plugs #4 and 5 have good ground. pin 16 has good 12 volts. I back probe pin 2 and only get .3volts but it cycles between that and .00 I have no resistance between pins 7 and 12. When the battery is disconnected and only my meter is hooked up im getting 12 volts on pin 2. Pins 7 and 12 have no short to power or ground and are good to the pcm

I have disconnected the abs, radio, pcm, tcm, fbc/ fuse box, hvac, compass.

Im wondering what routes others would go on. I know its a mix match of parts, Ive swapped different computers before and they will at least talk. Im trying to figure out if i have a bad part, or my idea wont work. The reason Im trying to make it work is because I have yet to find a diesel ecm and wiring harness for the truck.
All the wiring looks correct? I’d be double checking the wiring and all the canbus modules in the wiring to make sure nothing has failed or is missing.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There are ways to fool the canbus but that is something above my knowledge.

All the wiring looks correct? I’d be double checking the wiring and all the canbus modules in the wiring to make sure nothing has failed or is missing.
Except none of this is CAN :roflsquared: :roflsquared:
3rd gen through 2005 is PCI bus. CAN started in 2006 in the Rams.