Can I do my break in period in one go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this sounds insane, but my truck took forever to get here, so here's the situation I'm stuck with:

I am moving to Las Vegas from SF a week from Thursday, and I'm picking up my truck this Friday. This weekend I was thinking of driving to Tahoe and back to get the ~500 mile break-in period done in one go before I have to tow a 4400lb trailer to Vegas.

Does that sound reasonable and safe?

OP
OP
Blotterhead

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyway it's in the manual?

I saw this on TFL Truck: (https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/07/asktfltruck-truck-engine-break-in-procedure-guide-video/)

I realize this is 2018 but figured it would be similar

From the 2018 Ram 1500/2500/3500 owner’s manual:

• A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
  • Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
  • While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
  • Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
  • The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.
  • Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
  • Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup, you can do that. Just follow the break in instructions.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the info is in your owners manual. The OP will be towing a good distance, so IMO better to play it safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01