Can I swap my 5.7 hemi for a 4th gen ram 1500 Eco diesel in my 2003 ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to put a new Eco diesel in my 2003 Ram 1500 but i'm not quite sure if it is even possible. If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything is possible, the real questions would be -
  1. How much time are you will to spend doing it?
  2. How much money are you willing to spend doing it?
  3. How long are you willing to be without your truck while this is being done and made to work?
You are talking about swapping the entire drivetrain, everything under the hood, the transmission, and differential. That's just the short list. Then there's the PCM, TCM, fuel cell, etc...

Just listing everything out like, it sounds like it would just be cheaper to buy the RAM with the Ecodiesel already in it. Unless your '03 has some significant sentimental value to you, I wouldn't bother.

A used Ecodiesel base model (ie Tradesman, no options) in my area is around $21,385 - $24,364 in good condition from a dealer.

OP
OP
MusicMan14

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything is possible, the real questions would be -
  1. How much time are you will to spend doing it?
  2. How much money are you willing to spend doing it?
  3. How long are you willing to be without your truck while this is being done and made to work?
You are talking about swapping the entire drivetrain, everything under the hood, the transmission, and differential. That's just the short list. Then there's the PCM, TCM, fuel cell, etc...

Just listing everything out like, it sounds like it would just be cheaper to buy the RAM with the Ecodiesel already in it. Unless your '03 has some significant sentimental value to you, I wouldn't bother.

A used Ecodiesel base model (ie Tradesman, no options) in my area is around $21,385 - $24,364 in good condition from a dealer.
I am willing to go through a lot to do this and the only reason is bc it has a ton of significant sentimental value to me bc it was my uncles truck and when he passed away it was given to me. I have completely redone the trucks body work but I would love to have a diesel so I thought why not have the diesel in a truck that I value a lot

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
A cummins swap would probably be a lot easier and has been done a lot

I Bleed Ram Trucks

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
That's surprising, I would have thought the cummins would be too much weight for a 1500. So its been done? Was suspension work required to handle the weight? Anybody have any Pics?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That's surprising, I would have thought the cummins would be too much weight for a 1500. So its been done? Was suspension work required to handle the weight? Anybody have any Pics?

That topic has been beat to death for years. Doing a simple google search of cummins swap, ram 1500 should bring up material to read through for a few days. DerekP on this forum has done it, he went to an extreme on his truck

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
MusicMan14

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A cummins swap would probably be a lot easier and has been done a lot

I Bleed Ram Trucks
I would like to have a Cummins more than the eco diesel I just figured it would be easier for the eco diesel bc with the Cummins having a lot more power and torque I figured I would need to change a lot more components but I think I may be wrong? What would I have to change for the Cummins?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I would like to have a Cummins more than the eco diesel I just figured it would be easier for the eco diesel bc with the Cummins having a lot more power and torque I figured I would need to change a lot more components but I think I may be wrong? What would I have to change for the Cummins?

I’ve never done it or really looked into it. Just passing glances at other people’s builds. My tuner buddy is right in the middle of putting a 6.7 cummins in a 05 single cab. I’ll link his build thread and if you are on Facebook look up the group Dodge Ram 3rd Gen Only, he’s posting progress on there as well. Essentially you’ll need a pcm, wire harness, new or custom motor mounts, and a different trans as your Hemi trans has a different bolt pattern then the cummins. I would venture to guess the eco diesel might be more difficult because it’s a pretty new motor that you might have trouble finding a motor or parts to swap. I don’t know what transmission they use for it.

https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/f62/the-new-project-25746.html

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
MusicMan14

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never done it or really looked into it. Just passing glances at other people’s builds. My tuner buddy is right in the middle of putting a 6.7 cummins in a 05 single cab. I’ll link his build thread and if you are on Facebook look up the group Dodge Ram 3rd Gen Only, he’s posting progress on there as well. Essentially you’ll need a pcm, wire harness, new or custom motor mounts, and a different trans as your Hemi trans has a different bolt pattern then the cummins. I would venture to guess the eco diesel might be more difficult because it’s a pretty new motor that you might have trouble finding a motor or parts to swap. I don’t know what transmission they use for it.

https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/f62/the-new-project-25746.html

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Thank you I’ll look into everything!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Alright thank you. I requested the Facebook group just waiting on the accept

He just posted about it today. Search RebeccaKeith Raymond when you get in. He’s really good about helping people out

I Bleed Ram Trucks

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d look into doing a Cummins swap, **** that junk fiat diesel