Can I tow it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My step-father doesn't tow alot. He has had several 1500 Rams and has towed a 9400lb 5th wheel with them. It was bad enough for him that they only used the camper a few times then sold it. Had he bought a smaller camper they may still be campers but they gave it up. If you were more experienced at towing then maybe you could accept it but he wasn't. And yes, he was way overloaded and illegal but the salesman told him it was 1/2 ton towable and that he would be fine.
Yep, those wonderful salesmen will tell you anything to make a paycheck.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will be fine. Yes you can do the math as much as you want. I do agree with the air bags. And no bigger trucks alway aren’t the answer. It is your driving ability that is the most important it isn’t like a cop with stop you I see far worse on the road every day you hear more about accidents with 18 wheelers the people pulling tt
The sad thing is, the vast majority of Semi accidents are caused by passenger vehicles.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
You will almost for sure be over payload (GVWR) but I don't think you will be over GRAWR (rear axle maximums, also listed on your door jamb). My step-son bought a 9300lb (8600lb advertised dry) 37' overall TT this spring. I towed it home with my 2500 but he towed it to his camp with his 2020 Tundra. The fresh water tank was full so add another 400lbs or so towards the front of his TT. Other than that the TT was empty off the showroom floor. He had 4250ish on his rear axle. IIRC your generation 1500 has a GRAWR of about 3900lbs? His GRAWR on his Tundra was 4100lbs so he was over. He adjusted his WDH and with his tank empty he is probably under his GRAWR but his TT weighs 1000lbs more than yours. But the only way is to hook it up as you will be towing and head to a CAT scale

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Reading some camping sites
many of them don't fill their water tanks until they get close to their destinations

saves on weight
Good luck with that in quartzsite, az. The water there can kill a dog. It bleeds salt really bad. Even my R/O system struggled with it. Probably ok to shower and do the dishes, but forget drinking it.

Gtonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hotd
Getting the WDH set up correctly will be a must when towing on the heavy side, don't trust the RV dealer to set it up as it must be done with the truck and trailer fully loaded. It's best to use a CAT scale to make sure all the weight is returned to the front axle.
When someone complains that trailer will be a miserable experience towing, there was either something wrong with the trailer or the load distribution was not set up correctly.
Yes use a weight distribution hitch and sway bars they are a must

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you are going to one of the campgrounds in Quartzite

You have at least 2 choices, stop in a location closest to Quartzite to get a full tank of water.
Or if you are setting up in one of the larger camp grounds, i would almost bet that they have 500 to 1,000 gallon potable fresh water tanker that brings water to all of those camp grounds.

I always wondered why non rock people would ever camp out in Quartzite, unless they were trolling for a mate

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Google "trailer life tow guides" and look up the PDF for the year of your truck. You have the 3.92 gears which is a plus, but there are other considerations to help determine tow capacity. There's also how you drive and where you drive. What weight distribution kit you have.

I have a '13 quad cab, with 5.7 & 3.92 axle. My tow capacity is 10,050. Trailer is a '18 Keystone Springdale at 7,000 lbs. It's 33ft long. I have a Reese Dual Cam hitch. Once I got it dialed in, it tows excellent. Passing 18 wheelers don't really bother the rig. I don't have sway. I tow all over NY mostly sticking to 63-65 mph. Never above 70. I keep the tow haul mode on and watch my temperatures. Sometimes we go camping and the wife tows the boat with her minivan. I'll transfer weight there. Last season I put some Goodyear Endurance tires on and had them balanced. It makes the ride a smoother and betters handling. The 1500 does a great job and I'm confident enough in it to let my wife drive it.

I'd upgrade to a 2500 if I went out west in the mountains or take it all the way to Florida. I do neither. I personally feel you'll do fine speaking from experience in my truck. The weight distribution kit is key. Don't go cheap. If the trailer place installs it and it doesn't tow right, take it back for an adjustment. I had to.

About tree fiddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At that weight you'll be over payload if you have kids or family in the truck. With that being said, can def get away with towing it with the proper WDH setup. Will not be pleasant and will be white knuckling it until you get really experienced with the setup.

With the current knowledge I have now (I tow a 6k 28ft camper at least 5 times a year), I would not tow such a large camper with a 1500.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Google "trailer life tow guides" and look up the PDF for the year of your truck. You have the 3.92 gears which is a plus, but there are other considerations to help determine tow capacity. There's also how you drive and where you drive. What weight distribution kit you have.

I have a '13 quad cab, with 5.7 & 3.92 axle. My tow capacity is 10,050. Trailer is a '18 Keystone Springdale at 7,000 lbs. It's 33ft long. I have a Reese Dual Cam hitch. Once I got it dialed in, it tows excellent. Passing 18 wheelers don't really bother the rig. I don't have sway. I tow all over NY mostly sticking to 63-65 mph. Never above 70. I keep the tow haul mode on and watch my temperatures. Sometimes we go camping and the wife tows the boat with her minivan. I'll transfer weight there. Last season I put some Goodyear Endurance tires on and had them balanced. It makes the ride a smoother and betters handling. The 1500 does a great job and I'm confident enough in it to let my wife drive it.

I'd upgrade to a 2500 if I went out west in the mountains or take it all the way to Florida. I do neither. I personally feel you'll do fine speaking from experience in my truck. The weight distribution kit is key. Don't go cheap. If the trailer place installs it and it doesn't tow right, take it back for an adjustment. I had to.

I have the same set up with a 2019 Ram 1500......I have a tow package and tow capacity is 11,500. We tow a 17ft. Casita......no WD unit is needed......no sag......no problems at all. I also tow a 17 ft. car trailer with a 4500 lb tractor on it......truck tows well. I have towed the Casita over mountains...hills....etc.......it has no issues handling the terrain. If I towed your rig.....I agree.....a WD is a good thing.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At that weight you'll be over payload if you have kids or family in the truck. With that being said, can def get away with towing it with the proper WDH setup. Will not be pleasant and will be white knuckling it until you get really experienced with the setup.

With the current knowledge I have now (I tow a 6k 28ft camper at least 5 times a year), I would not tow such a large camper with a 1500.

Just curious. How does your truck do with the 6k camper? I mean that's only 1000 lbs less than what op is suggesting. He has a Big Horn with 3.92 gears. Not trying to troll, so please don't take it as such.

I'm far from white knuckling at 7,000 lbs. More like my left hand is on the steering wheel while an 18-wheeler passes. lol. We try to conserve weight, but my wife still over packs. I still bring along my smoker and a little bit of firewood.

I get why some people could think that of a 1500. There's a lot of trucks out there that can't pull my trailer. I had to do tons of research on trucks for sale in my area. I passed on many 1500's that were missing key features needed for the highest tow capacity. The dealers don't know. Many are clueless as to why the axle ratio mattered or if it has a heavy duty tow package. I rejected so many trucks until I found the perfect one. As mentioned before check out those trailer life tow guides on trailerlife.com. There are hundreds of configurations of our trucks that throw the tow capacity one way or another. The PDF breaks them down.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have to disagree most are driving errors Well at least on the hyways I watch over
I understand in your area.
"According to the American Trucking Association, cars are responsible for 80% of all truck accidents. The University of Michigan Transportation Institute also found that 81% of truck accidents were caused by cars" Sep 29, 2020

About tree fiddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious. How does your truck do with the 6k camper? I mean that's only 1000 lbs less than what op is suggesting. He has a Big Horn with 3.92 gears. Not trying to troll, so please don't take it as such.

I'm far from white knuckling at 7,000 lbs. More like my left hand is on the steering wheel while an 18-wheeler passes. lol. We try to conserve weight, but my wife still over packs. I still bring along my smoker and a little bit of firewood.

I get why some people could think that of a 1500. There's a lot of trucks out there that can't pull my trailer. I had to do tons of research on trucks for sale in my area. I passed on many 1500's that were missing key features needed for the highest tow capacity. The dealers don't know. Many are clueless as to why the axle ratio mattered or if it has a heavy duty tow package. I rejected so many trucks until I found the perfect one. As mentioned before check out those trailer life tow guides on trailerlife.com. There are hundreds of configurations of our trucks that throw the tow capacity one way or another. The PDF breaks them down.
Sorry missed your post.

My old truck was a 2020 1500 classic, also with the 3.92 gears. New one is a 2500 hemi with 4.10 gears.

New truck tows it like a dream.

Old truck towed it fine, but was white nuckling often, that could have been because I was new at towing a TT. I'm sure I would have gotten more comfortable with it with more time behind the wheel.

At 1000lbs more, I imagine it would be more difficult and margin for error been less. But then again looks like the OP has the 5th gen Ram ehich has better numbers than my Classic did.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry missed your post.

My old truck was a 2020 1500 classic, also with the 3.92 gears. New one is a 2500 hemi with 4.10 gears.

New truck tows it like a dream.

Old truck towed it fine, but was white nuckling often, that could have been because I was new at towing a TT. I'm sure I would have gotten more comfortable with it with more time behind the wheel.

At 1000lbs more, I imagine it would be more difficult and margin for error been less. But then again looks like the OP has the 5th gen Ram ehich has better numbers than my Classic did.

I had problems at first with my truck too. When I bought the trailer, they installed my WD and took it for a test drive. They must not have tested it on the expressway because it certainly was white knuckle. It towed fine at or below 55 though. I ended up taking it back after a couple of months. They had to make adjustments. It's been fine ever since. I'd recommend if it doesn't feel right, take it back. I only wish I hadn't waited a couple months because they couldn't get me in before my trip.

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I know there has been alot written and asked about towing capacities. I'm asking to the people that have done it know more than I do.
I have a 2019 1500 5.7 Hemi(non-e-torque) with 3.92 gears.
I'm looking to purchase a Travel Trailer that has a dry weight of 7300#. It will have the normal "stuff", battery, 2 20# propane tanks, and then adding the average camping stuff. I know it will add 500# if the water tank is full.

Is it too much?

Thanks
What your trying to do should be ease. You have great gears, do you have dual exhaust ? I have 2015 that I tow larger loads that I should have. I asked the dealer how to open the exhaust system up and have a true dual. most won't consider the mod because it will take the a little time. The system has two cats hat come together that has taken 2-3 1/2 inch pipe down that only let less than 1/4 of the exhaust. Have that reduction pipe completely out, then install 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch through two mufflers of make it quieter you can put one muffler with two in sand two out...
This was recommended the mod to me because of the amounts I was towing or hauling. I increased fuel empty 5 mpg, loaded if driving normal mad a little difference, when you squeeze down the throttle next to another truck similar to your its awesome. Good Luck

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
What your trying to do should be ease.
How can you say this when OP doesn't say in that post how long or how tall the trailer is? If it's 28' long he's probably ok. If it's 34' he's not at least not without a $3k hitch. Trailer length and height are huge factors you may not have considered.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
What your trying to do should be ease. You have great gears, do you have dual exhaust ? I have 2015 that I tow larger loads that I should have. I asked the dealer how to open the exhaust system up and have a true dual. most won't consider the mod because it will take the a little time. The system has two cats hat come together that has taken 2-3 1/2 inch pipe down that only let less than 1/4 of the exhaust. Have that reduction pipe completely out, then install 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch through two mufflers of make it quieter you can put one muffler with two in sand two out...
This was recommended the mod to me because of the amounts I was towing or hauling. I increased fuel empty 5 mpg, loaded if driving normal mad a little difference, when you squeeze down the throttle next to another truck similar to your its awesome. Good Luck
His limits will be more with suspension than it will power. I can vouch for that being a lot of weight for a 1500, even with 3.92's. What he would need to do is set it all up as he would normally be towing and go to a CAT scale to be sure his GRAWR isn't over and also make sure he has enough weight on the front axle. I'm pretty sure that if his water tank is near the front and it indeed holds 500lbs of water then if full he is likely over on his GRAWR