Can I use redline 75w140 for limited slip if I don’t have LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

APPsBeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t see any other choice. Thanks I’m advance for the advise

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, no problem.

The LSD diffs have all the same bearings and gears as the non-LSD ones so if it was going to cause a problem in the open ones it would cause the same problem in limited slip ones.

OP
OP
APPsBeast

APPsBeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, no problem.

The LSD diffs have all the same bearings and gears as the non-LSD ones so if it was going to cause a problem in the open ones it would cause the same problem in limited slip ones.
Thanks! Do you know what mileage is recommended when changed rear diff? Also should I do front diff and transfer case as well at the same time? I never tow I do 250-500 payload sometimes more in rare instances frequently

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So there are two redline standard 75w140's, you cannot use them both. There may be other redlines as well, probably dont want them either. You want 75w140 yellow label only, the rest is for race applications.

75w140

75w140ns

You CANNOT use the one with the NS in the product. Use the first one, as you see it carries most modern oem specs. Do you want to explain why you first post says you have no choice? Brand or weight is the issue? You do want 75w140 in the rear.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla, the NS doesn't have FM in it. Why he CANNOT use that if he doesn't have a limited slip ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla, the NS doesn't have FM in it. Why he CANNOT use that if he doesn't have a limited slip ?

You are right, that is what I get for not reading the last three words of title :)

Actually title is confusing either way, but info would be the same.

However, even if you don't have lsd which I assume means you have open diff, still all gear oils spec general use oil for open diffs as well. Technically, you can probably use a non FM oil for an open diff, but I'm not 100% on what clutches may be in there and since literally every single gear oil specs their oil for diffs despite having FM in there, I just roll with that. I'd email Dave from redline and ask him why redline doesn't spec their NS formula for open diifs if I really wanted to use it. As you see it is spec;d for a very few old vehicles.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are right, that is what I get for not reading the last three words of title :)

Actually title is confusing either way, but info would be the same.

However, even if you don't have lsd which I assume means you have open diff, still all gear oils spec general use oil for open diffs as well. Technically, you can probably use a non FM oil for an open diff, but I'm not 100% on what clutches may be in there and since literally every single gear oil specs their oil for diffs despite having FM in there, I just roll with that. I'd email Dave from redline and ask him why redline doesn't spec their NS formula for open diifs if I really wanted to use it. As you see it is spec;d for a very few old vehicles.
I'd think NS Should be fine for any open diffs. I'd think you'll want this NS stuff on specific applications where FM will produce issues , ex Eaton Trutrac, Eaton e-locker etc. You don't want any FM in such applications so the NS comes handy. Torco RGO also makes a fluid that is FM free https://torcousa.com/products/rgo-racing-gear-oil

Also any of the cheap diff fluids should not have FM in it. (Always verify with the manufacturer just in case) I used to have a list somewhere back when i had my Jeep Wrangler with Eaton elocker rear and truetrac front with all the stuff you can find at Autozone,Oreallys etc that doesn't have FM. I'll see if i can dig it up.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
You might wanna post your VIN over at All Mopar Parts forum... I was gonna buy the same fluid but my truck called for 90, not 140

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452