Can Marvel Mystery Oil be use Instead of Motor Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savatreatabvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 02 RAM 4.7 with 139k miles that has cold start engine clatter. Only last for 60 seconds or so then runs great with plenty of oil pressure and power. My question is, all my life I've heard old timers talk about how good Marvel Mystery Oil is as an additive but after an oil change can I use 5 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil instead of 5 quarts of motor oil ? Just a crazy thought.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 RAM 4.7 with 139k miles that has cold start engine clatter. Only last for 60 seconds or so then runs great with plenty of oil pressure and power. My question is, all my life I've heard old timers talk about how good Marvel Mystery Oil is as an additive but after an oil change can I use 5 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil instead of 5 quarts of motor oil ? Just a crazy thought.
No absolutely not. It’s mostly composed of mineral oil and distillates and has a viscosity of like 3W. Your engine would burn up in no time!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah don't do that. There are some videos on youtube of guys doing it for fun but it results in catastrophic engine failure every time.

There are a lot of Redline oil product fans here including myself, I would suggest doing a search and reading about that instead of additives like marvel or lucas.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Add a tide pod to it and it will clean the engine at the same time. Oh yeah gorilla glue will make sure the oil sticks to the engine parts

Sorry I just had too

Maybe the tide pods, gorilla glue hair, et al, were all just to get a response... [emoji15]

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If people only knew what is in some of the additives
You would be making your own from ingredients from their garage

I went to a 6 week equipment school in the late 90s
At that school they had a book that you will never find anywhere.
It has the ingredients that go into making those additives & a whole lot more lubricating automotive products.

As far as i know, i am the only person that has a copy of that book :)
It is actually MSDS sheets that covers all of the products that are used in the drive trains, even the products like STP, that has a secret formula

Last edited:

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, yes you can, but only until the engine seizes. :D

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about adding a bottle of sea foam to the engine. Drive it 100 miles no more and then drain it and put fresh oil and filter in it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yes you can use Marvel Mystery Oil but your engine won't last too long. You can also use olive oil, vegetable oil or water. They would probably be as good for your engine as MMO.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all seriousness, don't run your engine on anything but motor oil and use the recommended viscosity for the best results. It sounds to me like the cam phasers are shot (part of the VVT system). You would need to replace your entire timing set to get the clatter to go away.

EDIT - Ford Triton engines have the same issue. It is typically caused by oil not being changed at regular intervals and sludging.

Last edited:

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a '58 Plymouth that smoked like a chimney. My Dad told me to drain the oil out and fill it with kerosene, start it and let it run till it was good and warm. Did this twice and it helped considerably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn