Can Marvel Mystery Oil be use Instead of Motor Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
I had a '58 Plymouth that smoked like a chimney. My Dad told me to drain the oil out and fill it with kerosene, start it and let it run till it was good and warm. Did this twice and it helped considerably.
I know a man that used diesel fuel in his crankcase and he did the same thing only his engine locked up. But he never had to worry about a dirty engine anymore

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too have done the kerosene trick. It works great. We did it in a old ford truck. Its old school for sure, but It works.

Octane

Reaction score
I've known many that didnt value oil changes

Last edited:

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think the Brits used to have a process for flushing with Kero....it was because of their insistence on none detergent oil for the Land Rovers.....they sludged up like crazy. particularly if they were not run at temp for awhile. I have a Land Rover and Range Rover service book around somewhere.....hmmm.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The kerosene treatment does work if the issue is poor oil drain down from the cylinder head. As i remember it, it was two quarts of 10W motor oil and three quarts of kerosene and a 30 minute idle at full temperature. Then change the oil and filter, run for another 30 minutes, drain and change again.

Never witnessed or heard of an engine seizing with that process.

However, a 4.7 PowerTech motor has huge oil drains and I doubt that's the problem unless badly maintained. I'd first suspect timing chain followers are worn or an oil leak at the chain tensioners.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047777 miles.

OP
OP
S

Savatreatabvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was a stupid question, no I did not run MMO in my engine instead of motor oil. I actually used Royal Purple synthetic HPS 5w 30 motor oil with a WIX XP Heavy Duty filter. I've never heard of Redline motor oil so I bought the Royal Purple. What do you guys suggest?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can substitute a quart of Rislone for a quart of oil and run that if you want a gentle cleaning of the motor to free up sticking lifters - no need to do a quick oil change, just change it 3000-5000 miles like normal.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In all seriousness, don't run your engine on anything but motor oil and use the recommended viscosity for the best results. It sounds to me like the cam phasers are shot (part of the VVT system). You would need to replace your entire timing set to get the clatter to go away.

EDIT - Ford Triton engines have the same issue. It is typically caused by oil not being changed at regular intervals and sludging.

No VVT or cam phasers on a 4.7, but there are timing chain guides that do like to break from time to time.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was a stupid question, no I did not run MMO in my engine instead of motor oil. I actually used Royal Purple synthetic HPS 5w 30 motor oil with a WIX XP Heavy Duty filter. I've never heard of Redline motor oil so I bought the Royal Purple. What do you guys suggest?

Good filter, decent oil - not the best oil but not the worst either.
The 4.7 isn't as picky on the oil as the 5.7 is so no harm with the RP.

How often do you change the oil and filter?

OP
OP
S

Savatreatabvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If people only knew what is in some of the additives
You would be making your own from ingredients from their garage

I went to a 6 week equipment school in the late 90s
At that school they had a book that you will never find anywhere.
It has the ingredients that go into making those additives & a whole lot more lubricating automotive products.

As far as i know, i am the only person that has a copy of that book :)
It is actually MSDS sheets that covers all of the products that are used in the drive trains, even the products like STP, that has a secret formula

That book sounds interesting. How about scanning some good parts and share them?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would have to go through my stuff
I retired in 2003 after being there for 33+ years
If i come across it, i will post a page or 2
It is fairly thick
I was surprised that the head instructor copied the manual & gave it to me
That school was up in San Luis Obispo

Bizjettech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replace ONE QUART of oil with ONE Quart of Marvel Mystery at every oil change and your good to go - done this for years, after 200K miles, engine looked like new inside