Can my 2016 ( 1500 5.7 Hemi ) 4x4 Extended cab Cary a 2200 lb Truck Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
They come with a paper in the console that says this truck it not design to handle a slide in camper . So based on that NO.

Last edited:

Dflorea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going to look at it from a different POV . The camper top should have listed the trucks and models that would fit the camper. At least that the way I would’ve approached it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Only thing I will say is that, if this camper and sales man is at a dealership, He should be hauled into court as this is against the law. It will be unsafe.
I some one is trying to sell his own camper, don't believe a word he said.

Crazyjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Having owned a slide-on, Lance (heavier than yours). You have to be nuts. It is not the weight necessarily (weight distribution, it's top heavy due to geometry, leverage). It is about handling, on the highway (crosswinds, trucks, braking, emergency control). Did it with a 2500 and added airbags, sucked. The owner before me was ok with it (so he said). The only truck for a slide-on is a dually. Period. Pull behind trailers are even ify(for a 1500). Get some advantage with a fifth wheel. Good-luck.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are way over. I had a beautiful 17 Laramie I had to trade in for this very reason. I went up to a 2500 gasser with close to 3700 payload. Now I can easily handle my new Cirrus 720 with that same exact weight of 2200. There are a few campers out there made for a 1500 but not many.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This camper is made specifically for 3/4 ton short bed trucks and you can see how well it sits on it.

20190920_174709.jpg

Motorman001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I own a slide-in camper that weighs 2,200 lbs. (dry weight). By the time I add 25 gallons of fresh water, food, cooking utensils, clothing, a few tools, miscellaneous, the weight is probably pushing 3,000 lbs. The camper lives on a 3/4 ton, long bed, regular cab with Cummins diesel. I have also added Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs and a rear Hellwig sway bar. I have TorkLift frame-mounted tie-downs and TorkLift FastGun turnbuckles. I would consider a 3/4 ton as the minimum truck that would be safe for a camper weighing 2,200 lbs. (dry weight). In addition to payload, you have to consider handling and braking. Crosswinds and sudden stops are a fact of life and a 3/4 ton, with more heavy-duty components than a 1/2 ton, will be much safer for this application. Tires are also a big safety issue. 10-ply rated tires will handle the load and still provide a margin of safety. Happy camping.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No, 3.21 axle ratio is 1760lbs and the 3.55 and 3.92 are at 1800lbs get your money back and run!!!!
There is no difference in payload between gear ratios. There is a difference in combined weight with a trailer.

His truck had 1402 lbs of payload.

He didn't buy it. He asked questions first and quickly decided against it when I showed him he wasn't just above payload...but over both GAWR.

Just glad everyone noted it wasn't gonna happen and didn't try to convince him he could.

Jordo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want that camper, buy a trailer, put the camper on that then you have room for a patio or to haul toys.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If the "salesman" isn't the owner or manager I would tell them your story. It might save someone else's life even if it costs that guy his job. That would be 100% dangerous and anyone selling campers for a living knows it.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Bad news. Right now I have travelled 2000 miles from home to the Midwest Rockies with a 1700 pound dry weight camper on my 08 hemi 2500 with helper springs installed when I get forestry equipment loads on it of three grand. Power wise there are some passes in the Colorado Rockies that require me to shift down to four and even three to power up them especially in switchback turns.

The truck is capable and payload total is around 2500 max. Would not care to carry more. Campers impose a high center of gravity as well.

Guy trying to sell you a camper is a liar, he does not care about anything relative to your best interests except a sale.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the "salesman" isn't the owner or manager I would tell them your story. It might save someone else's life even if it costs that guy his job. That would be 100% dangerous and anyone selling campers for a living knows it.

Totally agree.....this salesman should be fired.....he is going to get someone killed. Personally.....I would let him know he is full of crap. Good decision on your part.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huge liability. You can put it in if you want, burn up your brakes, tranny. If you get pulled over you could get tickets for overloading. If you get in a wreck you could lose your insurance coverage because you willing exceeded the capacity of the vehicle.