Can our trucks be hot wired?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peter cain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 5.7 was just stolen the other day, right out of my driveway. I live right on a busy street, and car thefts are on the rise. The Sheriff deputy I’m working with says thrives are getting more and more bold, and I’m just the latest victim. Anyhow, on to my question. Can these trucks be hot wired and the door slim-jimmied? There was no sign of break in, and the guy was quiet and quick enough I didn’t even hear him. I thought that the smart keys and whatnot made it impossible to start without the key. How are these scumbags doing it these days? Can they spoof the key so it’ll start? I know I’m never going to see my truck again, it’s probably already a pile of parts. I’d just like to know how he did it so easily? Thanks!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thieves are getting bold because they know law enforcement has their hands tied and can't do much to them anymore. Even if they get caught they will more than likely get a slap on the wrist and sent home only to do it again. You can thank our politicians and judges for that. Good luck

Octane

Reaction score
A computer can use the cars computer to start the car, simply put. They fake the car computer out and make it think it is the correct carfob starting it.

OP
OP
P

peter cain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Granted, I didn’t hear the ********* make off with it, so there’s that, but I really don’t think a tow truck would have gone unnoticed. It would have had to have been a rollback, because the truck was backed in. Just putting a stinger under the front wheels would have caused the rears to drag, making a ton of noise and skid marks. Also, my wife said she heard an engine start early in the morning that day, and thought it was me going out for Starbucks. I’m thinking the guy just opened the door and drive off with it.

OP
OP
P

peter cain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A computer can use the cars computer to start the car, simply put. They fake the car computer out and make it think it is the correct carfob starting it.
So, with a slim Jim and a laptop these guys can just drive off? Nice. That’s what I wanted to know. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

peter cain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks RamDiver. There’s nothing I can do about where I park it. I can’t build another garage for it. So, before I get another one (I’ll get a junker from Copart and fix er up), I’m going to install motion sensing lighting and cameras. I do wonder if one could get a key fob like device that could communicate to a device installed on the truck that would enable / disable the starter or fuel pump or something like that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have not read up on this,

There are articles about the method of locking your Ram
One way is to close your door & locking it using a FOB

the other way is to close your door after pushing down on the locking button

I forget what the difference is
i should read up on it

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I would install a hidden kill switch. Maybe 45 minutes to install and just off and on.

Both my rams. Have these. You can onpen the door, have a fob, hook up t the computer etc, but you either need to know where the switch is to start it or bring a tow truck.

My switch install was about a $30 mod

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
GF's car was stolen earlier this year. No sign of break in, no alarms going off. Only time her keys were out of her possession were at our mechanics (and we do trust them) and when she had the car washed. According to the police, thieves clone your key, get the vin number and then program a key which opens the door and starts the vehicle. Best anti theft now is something like "The Club" which will lock the shifter from moving, or a stick shift (most thieves can't drive a manual tranny)

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not read up on this,

There are articles about the method of locking your Ram
One way is to close your door & locking it using a FOB

the other way is to close your door after pushing down on the locking button

I forget what the difference is
i should read up on it
I believe if you lock it with the fob, but open it any way other than with the fob it alarms? Or am I hallucinating again?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Granted, I didn’t hear the ********* make off with it, so there’s that, but I really don’t think a tow truck would have gone unnoticed. It would have had to have been a rollback, because the truck was backed in. Just putting a stinger under the front wheels would have caused the rears to drag, making a ton of noise and skid marks. Also, my wife said she heard an engine start early in the morning that day, and thought it was me going out for Starbucks. I’m thinking the guy just opened the door and drive off with it.
Well having been a repo man for a few years I will say that a tow truck can get in and out rather quickly with a vehicle but since it was backed in then more than likely that was not used becauseorher equipmentwould'vebeen needed to roll the truck out of the driveway. There are pretty sophisticated but very expensive computers that can clone the fobs but that would require your fobs in hand in order to clone them. We have a mobile key guy that makes keys and programs fobs for us at work that has the equipment. Is it possible that the keys are hung up somewhere in the house or garage that's within range of the truck to be able to start it?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
go buy yourself a Faraday Cage or wrap your FOB in Tin Foil when you are not using it
Signal Detectors that thieves use search for signals, signals will not pass tin foil

You can't stop a thief that has a an air bag & a wedge, they will get in, but it will be harder to drive away

Faraday Devices

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This should scare us

a 2nd video he made just after the first,

I ask, can a Ram owner do the FOB trick, i don't have the push button ignition

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
go buy yourself a Faraday Cage or wrap your FOB in Tin Foil when you are not using it
Signal Detectors that thieves use search for signals, signals will not pass tin foil

You can't stop a thief that has a an air bag & a wedge, they will get in, but it will be harder to drive away

Faraday Devices

If you dont know what you're doing i would highly recommend that you don't start jamming a coat hanger into the doors of any vehicle. Today's vehicle's have a lot of electronics inside the door and you run the risk of causing more damage. The second video with the big blue stick and mini air bags would be what I would suggest using. In fact being a mechanic and I used to work as a repo man I keep one of those big blue sticks and a couple airbags in my truck at all times. Not for me but to assist with others that have locked themselves out of their vehicle's. With that blue stick and airbags you can get into literally any vehicle you want without causing any damage to the paint or weather stripping

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
for years, i used just the spring steel strap, like they used to use on beds to hold the mattress up.
I have a full set of them

1669520367919.png

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Doesn't matter what you do , if they want bad enough they will steal it . It just sucks for us honest folks that work are butts off to be able to own things , while others have no respect for anything or anyone . Hey if you don't want another truck stolen get a Ford . Sorry just my twisted humor made me say that . Sorry about your truck, take care.