Can power fold mirrors be auto folded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Is there a user setting or dealer programming option that enables the power folding tow mirrors to fold un whenbthe truck is turned off, or locked?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be a great feature.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a user setting or dealer programming option that enables the power folding tow mirrors to fold un whenbthe truck is turned off, or locked?
Unfortunately, no. There is a setting for it in the BCM and we have enabled it with the Alfa tool but it doesn't work. There is a company that offers a device called a Tazer that can be programmed to to it but it needs to be plugged into the OBD port at all times to work. I believe he company name is Z automotive

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, no. There is a setting for it in the BCM and we have enabled it with the Alfa tool but it doesn't work. There is a company that offers a device called a Tazer that can be programmed to to it but it needs to be plugged into the OBD port at all times to work. I believe he company name is Z automotive

AEV tried to enable mine and while they could enable them to fold in when the vehicle was shut off they could not get them to fold back out when turned on. The inventor of the procal was the one who was actually doing it and he thought given enough time he could get it done but I don't think there is enough money to make it worth the time.

OP
OP
S

SBelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Well, bummer. Seems like an obviously valuable feature with mirrors that protrude that far out. I had to fold them in to get past them after backing into a spot next to another car yesterday. That's what got me asking... Oh well.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Our 2018 Grand Cherokee has auto power fold mirrors. There is a setting in the radio for it. But they only power fold when you use the remote control to lock the vehicle. Push lock button>mirrors fold in.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7

RicksRam, did you look in the settings to see if there was anything showing power fold mirrors? On the Jeep, you can check it on or off.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Interesting its not an option, other brands offer it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RicksRam, did you look in the settings to see if there was anything showing power fold mirrors? On the Jeep, you can check it on or off.
For some reason the 4th gen Rams are not available with the option from the factory. The setting is not present in the settings menu. The code is in the BCM but when others have enabled the code and then turned them on in the settings menu they still don't work for some reason. There are only 3 codes that I know of that we have not been able to get to work with the Alfa tool. The Auto Fold Mirrors, Navigation In Motion Lockout and the Global Windows Up feature.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m just simply curious but why would you want your mirrors to auto fold every time? I guess unless of you had lifetime warranty like I do on my truck, it wouldn’t matter but I would think that would be a lot of wear and tear on your side view mirrors leading to a costly replacement of the whole entire mirror unless you can number one, take those mirrors apart without damaging it and two, finding replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never understood the desire for the auto power folding mirrors either for the same reasons you mentioned. To me 90% of the time they would automatically fold would be unnecessary and it's just as easy to press the button to fold them on the occasion you may need them but that's just my opinion. It's kind of like the tilt mirrors in reverse feature. It's a neat feature until you need to see behind your truck on one side or the other while you are backing up. My truck is lifted so I thought I would use the tilt a lot but ended up just turning that feature off and just tilting one side or the other if I need to. I've also added memory to my truck so they go back to where they were as soon as I touch the door handle.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I agree pushing the door button to power fold is fine. I use the power fold many times every day. When going in and out of my garage, it’s pretty tight, so I just push the button. Lots of room then.
I also had the “tilt in reverse” activated for a few months. Could never really get use to it. It’s off now.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never understood the desire for the auto power folding mirrors either for the same reasons you mentioned. To me 90% of the time they would automatically fold would be unnecessary and it's just as easy to press the button to fold them on the occasion you may need them but that's just my opinion. It's kind of like the tilt mirrors in reverse feature. It's a neat feature until you need to see behind your truck on one side or the other while you are backing up. My truck is lifted so I thought I would use the tilt a lot but ended up just turning that feature off and just tilting one side or the other if I need to. I've also added memory to my truck so they go back to where they were as soon as I touch the door handle.

I think the ideal way would be to have them fold based on input from a keyfob. Like how we can double press then hold Unlock to roll down windows....do a double press then hold Lock to fold the mirrors. Then have them auto unfold once the truck is unlocked again.

I think the Tazer could be made to work that way with some additional programming on their end.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never understood the desire for the auto power folding mirrors either for the same reasons you mentioned. To me 90% of the time they would automatically fold would be unnecessary and it's just as easy to press the button to fold them on the occasion you may need them but that's just my opinion.

I agree pushing the door button to power fold is fine. I use the power fold many times every day. When going in and out of my garage, it’s pretty tight, so I just push the button. Lots of room then.
Just like with the auto tilt, it could be a great feature if it would only fold the mirrors in when you need them folded in because just like Bob said, if they ever were to incorporate this feature in at the factory, it would more than likely only activate whenever you push the lock button on your remote when you park and probably fold the mirrors back out as soon as you either grab the door handle or push the unlock button on the remote so for people that would want them to automatically fold in for backing out of a tight garage, how would that auto fold feature help those people out? Probably not very much....lol. Until they actually figure out how to make an auto power fold mirror actually useful I think the pushbutton is the better bet.

...and just tilting one side or the other if I need to. I’ve also added memory to my truck so they go back to where they were as soon as I touch the door handle.
How did you do that? That would actually make that system a whole lot more useful and instead of having an automatic tilt feature as soon as you put it in reverse, having a left and a right tilt button would be perfect so that just like how whenever you need your mirrors to fold in, you would have two separate buttons for the times when you actually need one or both of your side view mirrors to tilt downwards.

It’s kind of like the tilt mirrors in reverse feature. It’s a neat feature until you need to see behind your truck on one side or the other while you are backing up. My truck is lifted so I thought I would use the tilt a lot but ended up just turning that feature off...

I also had the “tilt in reverse” activated for a few months. Could never really get use to it. It’s off now.

Same here. I ran mine for a while with the feature turned on but since every act of backing up doesn’t require needing to see the back tires when backing up so I turned it off as well. It’s only useful when you need to see that far down because if you don’t, you can’t really see anything else behind you except the ground so I figure if I actually need one or both of the mirrors to do something different I just hit the control pad and readjust whichever or both mirrors to where I need.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In order to add the memory feature you need to install Laramie memory capable seats and ad some wiring. If you already have heated seats it's just a matter of adding 4 wires and enabling the codes with the Alfa tool. Of course you also need memory capable mirrors. As some know I've kinda gone crazy with the mod thing on my truck as far as adding options. The memory is one of my favorites. I can tilt my mirrors on occasion when I need to and then just leave it. As soon as I unlock the truck or touch the handle the truck senses my fob and puts everything back to my settings. If my wife uses her fob the seats,mirrors,pedals,radio and climate automatically adjust to her settings. Not worth buying Laramie seats just to add memory but definitely worth enabling the memory if you are installing Laramie seats anyway.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the ideal way would be to have them fold based on input from a keyfob.

But, why though? The only time were that would actually come in handy is if you park in a parking lot that has tight spaces and you forget to hit the fold button where you would want your mirrors folded in, before you get out your vehicle, you wouldn’t have to walk back to it and unlock your door, push the button then re-lock your truck.

Like how we can double press then hold Unlock to roll down windows....
Wait, we can do that? Oh, wait a minute, I think I just now remembered hearing about that somewhere but I think I had also heard that that was a feature that was only available on like what, pre-‘15 or ‘16 year model trucks so then again, why is that a feature that we would need? Maybe there’s a reason why ram discontinued that for the newer trucks? I myself can’t think of a reason of that would ever come in handy. Even down here in southern Oklahoma where the Summer heat does get pretty brutal with the humidity and all, with remote start, auto air conditioning and air conditioned seats, that’s plenty to cool my truck off before I get in it so even after that thought, I still can’t ever see the need of why I would want all of my windows to roll down with a special inputted sequence on my fob…

I think the Tazer could be made to work that way with some additional programming on their end.

I looked into a Tazer several months ago and I did read that as long as the device was constantly plugged into your OBD 2 port, your mirrors would automatically fold in either as soon as you put it in park, or maybe once you got out and you locked your truck…

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But, why though? The only time were that would actually come in handy is if you park in a parking lot that has tight spaces and you forget to hit the fold button where you would want your mirrors folded in, before you get out your vehicle, you wouldn’t have to walk back to it and unlock your door, push the button then re-lock your truck.

Wait, we can do that? Oh, wait a minute, I think I just now remembered hearing about that somewhere but I think I had also heard that that was a feature that was only available on like what, pre-‘15 or ‘16 year model trucks so then again, why is that a feature that we would need? Maybe there’s a reason why ram discontinued that for the newer trucks? I myself can’t think of a reason of that would ever come in handy. Even down here in southern Oklahoma where the Summer heat does get pretty brutal with the humidity and all, with remote start, auto air conditioning and air conditioned seats, that’s plenty to cool my truck off before I get in it so even after that thought, I still can’t ever see the need of why I would want all of my windows to roll down with a special inputted sequence on my fob…

I looked into a Tazer several months ago and I did read that as long as the device was constantly plugged into your OBD 2 port, your mirrors would automatically fold in either as soon as you put it in park, or maybe once you got out and you locked your truck…

The vehicles that autofold mirrors, I think, do it when the doors are locked, no? Or is it every time the engine is shut down?

Using the keyfob to trigger the fold would work almost the same, except give you the option of not having them fold every time the vehicle is shut off. Saving wear and tear for something that probably doesnt need to happen 100% of the time anyway.

Yeah we can enable "Global Down" for the hold unlock to roll down windows. Have I used it much? No...but its a quick, free "mod".

Tazer - not sure about exactly how it works. Dont really want to keep it connected to my OBD port all the time, plus its fairly expensive.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In order to add the memory feature you need to install Laramie memory capable seats and ad some wiring. If you already have heated seats it's just a matter of adding 4 wires and enabling the codes with the Alfa tool. Of course you also need memory capable mirrors. As some know I've kinda gone crazy with the mod thing on my truck as far as adding options. The memory is one of my favorites. I can tilt my mirrors on occasion when I need to and then just leave it. As soon as I unlock the truck or touch the handle the truck senses my fob and puts everything back to my settings. If my wife uses her fob the seats,mirrors,pedals,radio and climate automatically adjust to her settings. Not worth buying Laramie seats just to add memory but definitely worth enabling the memory if you are installing Laramie seats anyway.

Oh ok. I wonder if my truck does that… I know that this discussion is posted in the fifth GEN section but being that my 18 Limited does have a memory feature on it to where if I gave my girlfriend the other key fob, I know I can actually set my truck up to where whenever she would go to drive it using her fob, I know the seat will actually go back to where she’s got it set to and whenever I go to drive it with my fob, I can program the seat to go back to where I want it but I don’t even really know if the memory feature in my truck would also affect the movable pedals and the side view mirror settings…

I may have to remember to look into that whenever that day comes around when I decide to make my girlfriend my wife… LOL.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok. I wonder if my truck does that… I know that this discussion is posted in the fifth GEN section but being that my 18 Limited does have a memory feature on it to where if I gave my girlfriend the other key fob, I know I can actually set my truck up to where whenever she would go to drive it using her fob, I know the seat will actually go back to where she’s got it set to and whenever I go to drive it with my fob, I can program the seat to go back to where I want it but I don’t even really know if the memory feature in my truck would also affect the movable pedals and the side view mirror settings…

I may have to remember to look into that whenever that day comes around when I decide to make my girlfriend my wife… LOL.

haha thats when you know its permanent...when you give her her very own memory slot for your vehicle lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The vehicles that autofold mirrors, I think, do it when the doors are locked, no? Or is it every time the engine is shut down?
I don’t really know. I’m trying to remember but I think I’ve heard whenever people say that other makes of vehicles that have this feature, I think they said that as soon as you put it in park and you shut the ignition off but don’t quote me on that…

Using the keyfob to trigger the fold would work almost the same, except give you the option of not having them fold every time the vehicle is shut off. Saving wear and tear for something that probably doesnt need to happen 100% of the time anyway.
Well yeah, that’s true. I know one thing, if my warranty was up and because I had my mirrors set to fold every time I got out of the truck, I wouldn’t want to have to face the repair bill to buy a new or both Sideview mirrors once that little motor in there burns up from being used all the time and I also highly doubt that ram would appreciate spending thousands and thousands of dollars in warranty repairs if anybody needed a new set, or just one side view mirror that burn up the motor while the truck was still under warranty.

Yeah we can enable “Global Down” for the hold unlock to roll down windows. Have I used it much? No...but its a quick, free “mod”.
So then this is something that I would have to custom add to my truck?

Tazer - not sure about exactly how it works. Dont really want to keep it connected to my OBD port all the time, plus its fairly expensive.
There’s actually quite a bit of things that they can do for your truck and actually one of the main reasons why I was looking into it it’s because it’ll easily allow you to reprogram your truck so that your fog lights stay on with your highbeams but as far as whether or not that feature would require the Tazer to be constantly plugged in or what features require that, I’d have to go look back into it again but even though it is kind of expensive, it does quite a bit if things. Now that I have my new MacBook and my new tonneau cover paid off, I might still look into one some day because since I do drive a lot of roads that have quite a few animals on them on occasion, I would love to be able to keep my fog lights on when I turn my highbeams on.