Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can power fold mirrors be auto folded?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by SBelt, Jan 11, 2021.

1. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Ain’t that the truth???....lol. The only time really now when she drives it is when I’m too tired to drive or when she has to go somewhere like on a weekend and I’m parked in the driveway behind her car in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You can enable the global down feature in all the 4th gen trucks with the Alfa tool. It does seem to work better on the 13 to.17 than the 18 and up trucks. You have to hit the unlock button once and then press it again and hold it and it will roll your windows down as long as you hold the button down. I live in a pretty hot area and I have remote start as well so I usually just let the A/C cool it down before I get in but I have used it a few times to let the heat out. It would be much more effective in no remote start trucks. It's one of those things I enabled because it didn't cost anything so why not?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

3. corneileous

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    But just to confirm, this is a feature that doesn’t no longer come factory?
    If it’s a feature you like that you get use out of then there is no “why not”, I was just more/less asking that on my own account because even still, I still don’t see a need for it. Lol. Besides, I’m too much of a stickler on the unnecessary rolling down of my windows just for the sole purpose of keeping the scratches down on the glass.

4. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Its no longer enabled from the factory. Its still "in there" in regards to s/w. Im guessing somewhere along the way people complained about windows that opened accidentally (i.e. someone pressed the button while their keyfob was in pocket, etc).

The global UP is completely gone. If it ever existed, Im guessing it was perma-removed because, technically, it could be a safety issue.

corneileous likes this.
  5. b-real

b-real Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    For me the autofold mirrors when locked is nice for 2 reasons:

• I can just glance back at the truck while walking away and know it is locked because the mirrors are folded in (they fold in when the car is locked, not when put in park)
    • Even if I park away from people to begin with, someone always comes and parks close to me at some point. Having the mirrors folded in make it easier for people walking by. Ski resort parking is almost essential to have the mirrors in other wise they always seem to get hit with someone's skis. Yes I can manually hit that button every time I park, but if I am going to do that literally every time I park it sure is a nice feature to do automatically. My wife's Kia does it and her mirrors don't stick out nearly like a truck.

VA-RAM likes this.
  6. corneileous

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I know you said; for you but realistically, having an automatically folded inside mirror as a visual indicator that you locked your vehicle is still redundant. Unless you have it turned off, your horn will sound briefly and your lights will flash telling you your truck is locked.

And for the second part, not everybody- and probably even including you too.... needs to have the side view mirrors fold in each and every time the car is parked so all that unnecessary extra wear and tear on the little electric motors on the inside of the mirrors it’s just a waste.

7. LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4l
    Dont know if its been mentioned. But the Tazer can be programmed for auto fold mirrors. I enabled it and works great on my 2020 power wagon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. b-real

b-real Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I guess we all view what is a waste differently. Are autofolding mirrors a need? No, but neither are power windows, locks, cruise control, AC... they are all nice things to have which I can choose to use or not, just like autofold mirrors could be. Would be nice to give customers the option as to whether they want to enable and use the feature or not. Having had some of those features I wouldn't personally purchase a vehicle without certain things now, like adaptive cruise. Autofold mirrors wont make or break a decision on a vehicle purchase for me, but for me it goes in the plus category. But hey, thanks for your insight.

Rod Powell and retired like this.
  9. corneileous

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I wasn’t trying to be negative and if you disagree with me then that’s fine. I was just pointing out that not every time we park is a reason to fold our side view mirrors in. Maybe if they used a lot better trouble free electronics it probably wouldn’t matter but even then, it still doesn’t take away the redundancy on why anybody would need their side mirrors folded in and each and every time we park.

Yeah, they could make this an option but then again, having a setting like that means that every time you park, your mirrors are going to fold in whether you truly need them to or not and since it’s probably virtually impossible to have the truck “know”when to fold mirrors in and when not to, just this pushbutton is what we’re stuck with.

I know I’m probably not gonna change your mind, and that’s OK, all I’m just trying to do is get you to see the reason why the trucks were probably designed this way so that you really only fold your mirrors in when you actually need them folded in as opposed to just having them pulled in every time which puts extra wear and tear on the side view mirrors which also probably saves Ram countless amount of dollars in warranty repairs from somebody that would have that enabled and then turn around and wonder why their side view mirrors won’t move anymore because they wore them out. You just have to see it as a whole, not just from your perspective.

But comparing an auto folding side mirror to AC, radio or electric windows and door locks is not really the same thing… LOL.

But hey, just despite all that I have said, if it’s really that important, there are ways to add this feature to your vehicle if it’s that much of a must. That’s one of the many good things about the aftermarket.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  10. retired

retired Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    it is funny some of us want it and think it would be an awesome feature and others think it is a waste of time. Seems like if a person thinks it is a waste of time they would just not read the thread as it really does not affect them in anyway if someone who wants it is able get it..

Quint and LeesEvoX like this.