Can power fold mirrors be auto folded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can if you dont take your foot off the brake ;D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not to derail the thread even further but yes, that works too or if it’s not feasible to keep your foot on the brake at all times, you can either buckle your seatbelt, buckle it behind you, or get one of those short seatbelt extenders to keep in the center console and only use it whenever the need comes up to back up with the door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I’m just simply curious but why would you want your mirrors to auto fold every time? I guess unless of you had lifetime warranty like I do on my truck, it wouldn’t matter but I would think that would be a lot of wear and tear on your side view mirrors leading to a costly replacement of the whole entire mirror unless you can number one, take those mirrors apart without damaging it and two, finding replacement parts.

I had a 2017 RAM before my 2020 and it is garage kept, I fold and unfold the mirrors every time I enter and exit my garage. I bet they had 1000s of fold/unfolds on them and never had a problem

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2017 RAM before my 2020 and it is garage kept, I fold and unfold the mirrors every time I enter and exit my garage. I bet they had 1000s of fold/unfolds on them and never had a problem

I doubt you folded them “1000s...”ssssss... of times if primarily all you folded them in was just for squeezing in and out of your garage because if you folded them in every single day for three years, that’s only about 1100 times.... I guess maybe....I could see you possibly getting close to remotely doubling that number if you folded them back out once you pulled into your garage and then having to pull them back in as you backed out, and if you actually folded your mirrors in each and every time you parked somewhere, all three years you had the truck. Lol.

But then again if you never had any problems with your side view mirrors at all when you say you folded them in that many times then I guess it’s not really an issue of wearing the electric motors out so, I don’t know why this auto fold **** wasn’t added to our trucks then. My guess is, is well, they literally cannot have each and every single thing that everyone of their customers wishes their truck came with because that’s just impossible. Not only that, if they decided to add each and every little thing that 500,000 people want then we would have people complaining about how much the trucks cost because all this **** is just going to add numbers to that price tag and make it higher. People already as it is complain about how much half ton trucks cost these days… LOL.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if I drive my truck every day (it is a rare day it does not get driven) make 3 or 4 stops which would be on the low end probably closer to 5 or 6 stops that adds up. If Fran is really a farmer then I bet he is making more stops than that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if I drive my truck every day (it is a rare day it does not get driven) make 3 or 4 stops which would be on the low end probably closer to 5 or 6 stops that adds up. If Fran is really a farmer then I bet he is making more stops than that.

Ya lost me...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya lost me...

Saying that it is entirely possible for farmer fran to have his mirrors fold in and out several 1000x in 3 years. For some reason you doubted he did.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@retired- what you’re saying would only be supported if he was actually doing that, folding in his mirrors each and every single time he stopped somewhere and if he actually did fold em in, pull in the garage, fold em out....then fold em back in and back out- then I could see that but whatever, now that a mod has entered the discussion I’m done. Obviously you didn’t read my post or you wouldn’t have been questioning my doubt about ole Farmer’s claim of being in the 1000’s of folding his mirrors in.

Rule, I don’t really see any “bashing” taking place, just some people
discussing and a few people who don’t like a certain person’s opinion but hey, that’s fine. The topic has drifted far enough off track, no need to push it even further.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gotta say, I'm a HUGE fan of the "Lincoln-Fold" function of my F150 with tow mirrors. When you're parked and it's tight, it allows me to walk to the front of the truck without ducking around the tow mirrors. It also keeps the guy parked next to me from pushing the mirror out of HIS way, and reduces the chance of someone walking into it. Plus, when they're folded in during the winter, it helps keep the roadspray and slush off the mirror glass. The cool thing about the "Lincoln-Fold" function is that it allows any of the other doors of the truck to be opened/closed without unfolding the mirrors (they open when the driver door is opened then shut).

I'm looking at returning to a Ram 2500 possibly (more towing headroom would be appreciated, thought its not utterly necessary), so I was hoping AlfaOBD could enable this function on Rams. Bummer that it can't be done without tying up the OBD port (the Tazer system).

I always park in front of my house (on the street) with my mirrors folded in (and I did use the pushbutton feature on my Ram 1500 with tow mirrors, or now with the auto fold on the Ford), especially during the winter. Snowbanks push the vehicle a bit farther into the street, and tow mirrors become vulnerable to a whack from idiots flying down the block. The only times I have been concerned with the mirror fold function is when there was snow and ice that fell overnight; sometimes the mirrors got a bit jammed up thanks to the ice.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
J
Gotta say, I'm a HUGE fan of the "Lincoln-Fold" function of my F150 with tow mirrors. When you're parked and it's tight, it allows me to walk to the front of the truck without ducking around the tow mirrors. It also keeps the guy parked next to me from pushing the mirror out of HIS way, and reduces the chance of someone walking into it. Plus, when they're folded in during the winter, it helps keep the roadspray and slush off the mirror glass. The cool thing about the "Lincoln-Fold" function is that it allows any of the other doors of the truck to be opened/closed without unfolding the mirrors (they open when the driver door is opened then shut).

I'm looking at returning to a Ram 2500 possibly (more towing headroom would be appreciated, thought its not utterly necessary), so I was hoping AlfaOBD could enable this function on Rams. Bummer that it can't be done without tying up the OBD port (the Tazer system).

I always park in front of my house (on the street) with my mirrors folded in (and I did use the pushbutton feature on my Ram 1500 with tow mirrors, or now with the auto fold on the Ford), especially during the winter. Snowbanks push the vehicle a bit farther into the street, and tow mirrors become vulnerable to a whack from idiots flying down the block. The only times I have been concerned with the mirror fold function is when there was snow and ice that fell overnight; sometimes the mirrors got a bit jammed up thanks to the ice.
So how come you don’t like the idea of having something plugged into your OBD II port all the time? Unless you buy a new truck that’s what, 21 and up, the only way you’re going to get that auto fold feature on your side view mirrors is to buy that Tazer device for ram trucks and it’ll have to stay plugged in all the time.

Hell, if there was more features that thing did that my alpha OBD didn’t already do, I wouldn’t mind having that Tazer device but I just can’t justify spending 200 bucks plus for it if all I would use it for in my case would be to have my truck so that I can enter stuff in the navigation while I’m moving down the road. Since tires ain’t cheap, the line lock feature wouldn’t do me no good for burnouts and as I’ve already stated, I have no reason to have my sideview mirrors fold in every time I park. If I need my mirrors to fold in sometimes when I park then I just press the button.

Last edited:

Average J0e

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Lone Star SLT 1500 Rambox
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
There’s actually quite a bit of things that they can do for your truck and actually one of the main reasons why I was looking into it it’s because it’ll easily allow you to reprogram your truck so that your fog lights stay on with your highbeams but as far as whether or not that feature would require the Tazer to be constantly plugged in or what features require that, I’d have to go look back into it again but even though it is kind of expensive, it does quite a bit if things. Now that I have my new MacBook and my new tonneau cover paid off, I might still look into one some day because since I do drive a lot of roads that have quite a few animals on them on occasion, I would love to be able to keep my fog lights on when I turn my highbeams on.
You can enable the fogs to stay on with high beams on AlfaOBD. Works just fine on my 2017 ram

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can enable the fogs to stay on with high beams on AlfaOBD. Works just fine on my 2017 ram
Oh, I know. I wasn’t insinuating I didn’t know when I wrote that, I was just saying I’d love to be able to do it someday which, I have.

Last edited: