Can someone tell me how I can get more than 3 feet from my running 2022 Ram, with FOB in my pocket, and not have the horn start honking at me? Thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone tell me how I can get more than 3 feet from my running 2022 Ram, with FOB in my pocket, and not have the horn start honking at me? Thanks

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Turn off the truck. Use the remote start function if you want to leave it running. If you leave it in the normal running mode and someone hops into it, they can drive it away, even without the FOB. They can't start it again if they shut it off, but as long as it is running they can keep driving it. With remote start they can't drive away without a FOB.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You can’t.

Excellent suggestion above by @Dean2 . I will only add the remote start times out after 15 minutes and shuts down. Could be important in some circumstances.

When my dogs are inside I’ll leave it running if it’s hot. That horn chirp is an annoying feature that should have a choice to enable or disable in the option menu.

PS- I’ve seen some mentions of “Police” mode enabling in Alfa OBD. I bet law enforcement vehicles don’t honk when they’re left running.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn off the truck. Use the remote start function if you want to leave it running. If someone hops into it, they can drive it away, even without the FOB. They can't start it again if they shut it off, but as long as it is running they can keep driving it.

I've never tested this action, maybe you have.

If I remote start my truck, it forces me to press the start button before I can select drive or any other options.

Would the truck not first detect the FOB before I press the start button and not function without the FOB being present?

If this were the case, I could safely remote start and not be concerned about theft provided the FOB remains remote from the truck. This sounds logical even if it's not true. :cool:

BTW, mine never gets hornee with me other than after attempting to lock the FOB inside, while the truck is not running. If a passenger is in the truck, as soon as the FOB exits the vehicle, they get to listen to a constant nag chime.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I've never tested this action, maybe you have.

If I remote start my truck, it forces me to press the start button before I can select drive or any other options.

Would the truck not first detect the FOB before I press the start button and not function without the FOB being present?

If this were the case, I could safely remote start and not be concerned about theft provided the FOB remains remote from the truck. This sounds logical even if it's not true. :cool:

BTW, mine never gets ***** with me other than after attempting to lock the FOB inside. If a passenger is in the truck, as soon as the FOB exits the vehicle, they get to listen to a constant nag chime.

I wasn't quite clear enough. I edited it above but you are right. Remote start, no FOB, no go anywhere. I added the the improved wording below. Yes, I have tried the drive away without FOB and you can drive till you run out of gas. Other thing to worry about is, if you set your Fob down outside the truck after you start it, drive to your destination, shut down and get back in truck, you can't start it again.

Simple cure for ding bothering passengers, leave them the FOB. Unless it is your Mother in law and you want to annoy her.;)

Turn off the truck. Use the remote start function if you want to leave it running. If you leave it in the normal running mode and someone hops into it, they can drive it away, even without the FOB. They can't start it again if they shut it off, but as long as it is running they can keep driving it. With remote start they can't drive away without a FOB.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't quite clear enough. I edited it above but you are right. Remote start, no FOB, no go anywhere. I added the the improved wording below. Yes, I have tried the drive away without FOB and you can drive till you run out of gas. Other thing to worry about is, if you set your Fob down outside the truck after you start it, drive to your destination, shut down and get back in truck, you can't start it again.

Simple cure for ding bothering passengers, leave them the FOB. Unless it is your Mother in law and you want to annoy her.;)

Yes, I tested the 'driveaway without the FOB feature' after my first few days of ownership. :cool:

We require more input from the OP although, as you said, the obvious solution to leave the truck running is to shut off, hop out, and remote start.

Now he's protected from theft provided he is far enough away from the proximity sensing of the FOB.

OP
OP
H

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Truck does not have Remote Start - I just want to be able to get out and pick up a package, or go to the back of the truck to dump sacks of corn while the truck is still running - WITHOUT the horn beeping at me... surely there is a way to turn this off.
- Farmer Fran, can you elaborate on the 'proximity' info you alluded to and where I can take a look at those settings?

OP
OP
H

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
06 Dodge - well I guess they took care of that over sight, because it will honk with or without the drivers door open. One of several things making me dislike this thing... did not have all this crap with the 2012.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My Truck does not have Remote Start - I just want to be able to get out and pick up a package, or go to the back of the truck to dump sacks of corn while the truck is still running - WITHOUT the horn beeping at me... surely there is a way to turn this off.
- Farmer Fran, can you elaborate on the 'proximity' info you alluded to and where I can take a look at those settings?
Okay, so option 1, leave one fob in a handy spot in the truck, and have the other in your pocket but be aware a live fob inside the truck overnight means it doesn't go to sleep properly. As long as you are driving it every day that is not an issue. Option 2 pull the horn fuse.

OP
OP
H

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can understand both options - just finding it hard to understand why dodge would not give owners a chance to decide this kind of setting for themselves. Can someone tell me if this AlfaOBD I keep hearing about would allow me to change this honking issue?

OP
OP
H

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Travelin Ram - I understand your comment... But when I left the key in the ignition, I could get out of the truck with it running and check the mail or feed the livestock with out it honking at me. That is my complaint, not the safety of it. Also, the key was not the size of a woman's coin purse that you have to carry around in your pocket and drag out to leave in the vehicle to keep the horn quiet..Minor inconvienence maybe, but or more aggravating than anything. Just trying to get to enjoying the new truck instead of finding non-adjustable irritations...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Travelin Ram - I understand your comment... But when I left the key in the ignition, I could get out of the truck with it running and check the mail or feed the livestock with out it honking at me. That is my complaint, not the safety of it. Also, the key was not the size of a woman's coin purse that you have to carry around in your pocket and drag out to leave in the vehicle to keep the horn quiet..Minor inconvienence maybe, but or more aggravating than anything. Just trying to get to enjoying the new truck instead of finding non-adjustable irritations...
TR's point is precisely, if you leave the fob in the truck, just like your old ignition key, you don't get hooked at. It really couldn't be simpler.

OP
OP
H

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I will just leave the FOB in my purse instead of carrying it in my pocket... Thanks for the replies everyone... at least I found out no one else knows how to change the distance settings either... I feel better now.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Leave the FOB in the truck. I’ll do this early in the mornings so it doesn’t honk and wake up the neighbors. I roll the window down to insure against accidentally locking the FOB inside.

OP
OP
H

HughS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dean2 -Not yet, but I am thinking I will need one with this Truck just to work with the Gob of a Fob... Thanks for the info earlier... Now don't go pickin on the new guy. :)