Can the dreaded hemi tick happen this fast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukklehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bought a 2018 DR 5.7 last week with 600 miles on it from dealership. After putting a 100 miles or so on it I got my first hemi tick on cold startup a few days ago. I am new to the forum and just started the research on cause. It seems like the most popular culprits are warped exhaust/intake manifolds from factory, loose manifold bolts, faulty lifters, lubrication/oil choice. Still researching this site and love the info. you guys provide. My question: Has anyone ever heard of the tick happening with less then 1000 miles on the motor? I still have remaining 3/36 factory warranty but time is ticking (pun) . I will take it to the dealership for the 1st oil change at 3000 miles. I will continue to educate myself on this and other sites and continue to monitor Black Bettys sounds cold and hot. Any suggestions on what to tell the dealership when I take in for oil change?

Thanks for all responses

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'd be taking it back to the dealer. Seeing as it's new to you I'd think they'd have skme Honor and back their sale.

OP
OP
N

nukklehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd be taking it back to the dealer. Seeing as it's new to you I'd think they'd have skme Honor and back their sale.

Thanks Brandon you would think-- we will see. Have never dealt with there service before. Any suggestions on what I should say/learned. Beings I was a back yard mechanic at a younger age (70-80's) Im not totally ignorant around a motor but far from knowing much nowadays. Or, should I just play dumb ( as it is under warranty) tell them whats up and let them do the diagnosing. As the temps have warmed I haven't had it happen again and Im afraid they will give me the "couldn't replicate" excuse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mine started with 3500 miles on truck, thankfully redline 5w30 killed the tick, read the link in my sig. Take it to dealer, maybe you will be lucky and it's exhaust related.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Old oil maybe? Probably the same oil from factory thats been there for a year or 2

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The startup tick is just standard hydraulic lifter tick - as long as it goes away within 5-10 seconds I wouldn't worry about it.

This ^^^^^

My 2017 has done this 3 times in the 2.5 years & 32000 miles I've had it. It only happens when I would start it from cold and shut it off after a short ride as in moving it form the far reaches of the work parking lot to a spot closer to the door when working late and expecting it to rain. When I started it cold to move it, no issues, perfectly quiet. Then I parked it and went back into work for a few hours. When I finally left I started it and got the few second lifter tick until it pumped back up which took a couple of seconds. Each of the 3 times this happened it was under the same circumstances, moving it closer while at work. Ultimately I decided to stop doing that and walked in the rain rather than chancing causing an eventual cam failure.

If it's a tick from a lifter / cam going south they tend to tick non stop from what I've read. If it's the exhaust manifold broken bolt tick, they sometimes tick for a few minutes until the manifold warms up enough to expand and seal the leak or it may continue based on how bad the manifold is warped or how many bolts are broken.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As others have said that’s not the hemi tick. It’s a bleed down lifter and there’s nothing you can really do about it. Happens to all of them.

If it starts happening all the time and takes longer to go away then you have an issue, but if once in awhile it ticks for a second then goes away, nothing to really worry about.

The hemi tick is a slight ticking noise that comes from the engine intermittently and usually only at operating temp. Some do it worse then others, while some seem to never do it. Changing to a better oil seems to be the most common cure, but not guaranteed.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This ^^^^^

My 2017 has done this 3 times in the 2.5 years & 32000 miles I've had it. It only happens when I would start it from cold and shut it off after a short ride as in moving it form the far reaches of the work parking lot to a spot closer to the door when working late and expecting it to rain. When I started it cold to move it, no issues, perfectly quiet. Then I parked it and went back into work for a few hours. When I finally left I started it and got the few second lifter tick until it pumped back up which took a couple of seconds. Each of the 3 times this happened it was under the same circumstances, moving it closer while at work. Ultimately I decided to stop doing that and walked in the rain rather than chancing causing an eventual cam failure.

mine does the same. i really try to not do short trips or start it and shut it off. but sometimes no choice and i get a tick the next time i start it. i dont think they should do it but they do.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not so sure there is nothing you can do about, I have stopped my tick with oil, and so does a majority of the ram forum members who try it. The thread in my sig has a poll that reveals a high success rate. It isn't magic or hype, but science. Molybdenum is the thing oil manu's use for "dry starts", some oils have more then others, and some oils have much more then just moly to also address this.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mine had a 1-2 second start up tick every once in a while, I switched from the standard Mopar filter to a Fram Ultra and maybe once every 2 months I get a start up tick.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 15 SLT only had the tick on a very cold start and maybe 3-4 times at most in 4 years.The 19 Classic Express I bought back in the fall seems to have the tick a lot more frequently.It quiets down fairly quick but you can still hear it for a while.
As to having the tick at 600 miles,I'm not at all surprised.Although there's a slight difference the Chargers do it right from day one.I build police vehicles and we probably have 200 Chargers kicking around at any given time and the vast majority of them have it bad with next to zero miles.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a great time to verify a few things. I would change the oil and not the filter. If the ticking noise goes away, then you know it was simply the oil. After you verify it was the oil, you can always change that later for piece of mind if you like.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO it's the oil bleeding down when it sits.If the oil filter has a good check valve in it this shouldn't happen especially when the filter sits strait up and down like these.I believe this is why the Chargers are so bad.Filter location and position.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't disagree that it is the oil bleeding down when it sits. But the ticking sound you hear is a result of metal on metal until a film is placed in between. Thats why I left the old oil filter on and only changed the oil. This eliminated the ticking, therefore forming the conclusion that it was only the oil and not the filter. The new oil provided enough stiction so that it didn't bleed down from the lifters since it was last shut off. I think these hemis are shearing the oil faster than everyone thinks.
When you change the oil and the engine starts up quietly for 2 or 3 thousand miles and then develops a tick, then it makes no sense to me to listen to this tick until my oil change monitor lights up in another 3 or 4 thousand more miles. Listening to this tick is doing nothing good for the lifters or engine. Simply changing the oil at the first sound of the ticking has cured my ticking.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do not go to a higher viscosity oil! It will NOT fix the tick. The bearing clearances on the newer engines are much tighter. You need lower viscosity oil for faster flow. The best way to describe thicker oil and tick is like putting ear plugs in. It’s still happening but U can’t hear it. Additionally you are starving the mains of needed lubrication. Reader beware of some posts on here....

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
30W oil was an acceptable oil for the 5.7 hemi when it was designed. I think that where I am leaning to here, is the lower OCI. That is where OCI used to be. When the variable cam came into play, 20W synthetic oil was recommended not to exceed 10,000 miles or 1 year in time (or your computer calculated mileage). Leaving the synthetic part out of the equation for now, going to a lighter oil and extending the OCI to nearly double seems too much at one time. This is when the 5.7 started to have lifter and cam problems.
5W20 PUP and 0W40 PUP mixture can't get me to a 5K mile OCI. 5W20 and 5W30 PUP mixture get me close.