Can the dreaded hemi tick happen this fast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do not go to a higher viscosity oil! It will NOT fix the tick. The bearing clearances on the newer engines are much tighter. You need lower viscosity oil for faster flow. The best way to describe thicker oil and tick is like putting ear plugs in. It’s still happening but U can’t hear it. Additionally you are starving the mains of needed lubrication. Reader beware of some posts on here....

The 5.7's in the 2500's and up call for 5W-30,same exact engine as far as bearing clearances go,the only difference is the 2500 5.7's don't have MDS. The 6.4's are virtually identical in most respects,and they call for 0W-40,also in the big 700 page printed manuals FCA stated 5W-30 was acceptable for the 5.7's in the 1500's if 5w-20 meeting Mopars MS specs wasn't available,this was in the manuals prior to 2017,the 5.7 hasn't changed since then. Also in the big printed manual they state 5W-20 is best for milege,nowhere do they state it's best for engine longevity,you can bet if they thought it was best for engine lomgevity,they'd be mentioning it.Just food for thought for you.

Dobaramguy84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was actually running the mobile 1 yearly stuff when the truck started doing the cold start tick every once in awhile. i went back to Pennzoil and haven't heard the tick since.

thade

Reaction score
I have a garage kept 2017 model that I bought new and don't drive much. Didn't matter if the engine had been running a day ago, or a week, the lifters would rattle a few seconds on startup and it annoyed the hell out of me. I drained the factory oil out and put RP 5/20 in it. Been silent as death for 4k miles now.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Not very qualified to speak on this but in the mornings my 4.7 loves to tick like a mental patient in the psych ward until the manifold heats up (around 180F) and it goes to nothing. Around 180 before it completely goes away it ticks, stops for a few seconds, comes back, stops, and then eventually just stops completely. hope this helps anyone, lmao.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

4wdRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I found this note in the Servicing and Maintenance section of my 2020 user's manual.

Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found this note in the Servicing and Maintenance section of my 2020 user's manual.

Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.

I can't believe they describe the short drive cycle causing the issue so many of us notice and say it's normal. Maybe it is but a roller lifter slamming of a camshaft in an engine known for failing lifters isn't comforting. It doesn't matter what oil is used for this particular situation unfortunately.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe they describe the short drive cycle causing the issue so many of us notice and say it's normal. Maybe it is but a roller lifter slamming of a camshaft in an engine known for failing lifters isn't comforting. It doesn't matter what oil is used for this particular situation unfortunately.
My truck is a14 and sits for two or three weeks at a time and has done that twice since I've owned it. It definitely isn't a good sound. It has one lifter that sounds like someones hitting it with a hammer. There is no way having that lifter roller slam into the cam lobe isn't eventually going to cause a problem. Twice in six years isn't bad but I cringe everytime I start the truck after it sits for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck is a14 and sits for two or three weeks at a time and has done that twice since I've owned it. It definitely isn't a good sound. It has one lifter that sounds like someones hitting it with a hammer. There is no way having that lifter roller slam into the cam lobe isn't eventually going to cause a problem. Twice in six years isn't bad but I cringe everytime I start the truck after it sits for a long time.

Theres a good trick you can use to prime the lifters if your trucks been sitting a while... mine gets used every day so I just use this trick for short drive cycle. Depress the gas pedal and start the truck and it will just crank. Give it 3-5 seconds, turn it to off to stop cranking, then start normally.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run 5w20 pennzoil platinum with a 10oz bottle of Lubegard Biotech dumped in, starts up and runs buttery smooth, zero ticks whatsoever. Granted i have low miles, only 27k

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Theres a good trick you can use to prime the lifters if your trucks been sitting a while... mine gets used every day so I just use this trick for short drive cycle. Depress the gas pedal and start the truck and it will just crank. Give it 3-5 seconds, turn it to off to stop cranking, then start normally.
Thanks, It's only done it twice in 6 years but I will definitely start trying that when it's been sitting for a while. Other than those two times the truck has no tick at all and is extremely smooth and quiet.