Can the main computer be programmed with Linux?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karl Pearson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Liter
My son has programmed my truck and it's good. Recently I needed recalls updated. They flashed the computer, of course. They need to know what they are working on, after all...
In any case, he bought a Ford and I'd like to take the programming over. The problem is, I don't own any Windows anything. I've used Linux as my primary OS for over 25 years and have no plans to give any $$ to M$ any time soon.
Does anyone know if I'm going to find a solution?
Thank you!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am not sure of anything
I seem to recall that the radios programming was Linux based back then

Being as the radio communicates with the main computer, it would seem to me that it would be Linux based too

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
In the past its been Mostly C++
but python is integrated into a lot of aftermarket devices now

You didn’t mention anything about AlfaOBD you are aware of it though?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
AlfaOBD runs on Android, you can make just about any body configuration change with that.
Not sure if there's any Linux programs for tuning the ECM.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
AlfaOBD runs on Android, you can make just about any body configuration change with that.
Not sure if there's any Linux programs for tuning the ECM.
You can run a virtual Linux program on anything
I can run AlfaOBD on my windows based laptop so its not just (android) is Windows based
Apple is Linux based
Python is another program that can be run virtually on anything

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
As has been mentioned, AlphaOBD can run on Android. The Windows version should run using Wine on Linux. Alpha is not really graphics intensive and the USB / serial part of Wine is solid.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I can run AlfaOBD on my windows based laptop so its not just (android) is Windows based
Apple is Linux based
I know you can run Linux on just about anything, I built a triple boot laptop (Ubuntu, Windows and iOS).
The OP is looking for programs for that are not reliant on Windows. The OP is looking for tuning software that will run on a Linux based computer, not the programming language the software is written in.
AlfaOBD offers both Android and Windows versions but nothing for Apple.
Probably the path of least resistance will be for the OP to buy a cheap Windows laptop and use that just for his truck configuration and tuning. Probably find something for a couple hundred $$$ that will do everything he needs.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just buy a used windows laptop for $100 or $200 and be done with it. Wine is pretty solid, but I'd never trust something like that when it comes to programming my truck, it just isn't worth it.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apple is Linux based
Apple and Linux share the UNIX kernal core. They are not based on each other.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My son has programmed my truck and it's good. Recently I needed recalls updated. They flashed the computer, of course. They need to know what they are working on, after all...
In any case, he bought a Ford and I'd like to take the programming over. The problem is, I don't own any Windows anything. I've used Linux as my primary OS for over 25 years and have no plans to give any $$ to M$ any time soon.
Does anyone know if I'm going to find a solution?
Thank you!
OP, Might want to try running AlfaOBD on your Linux Box in Wine? Not sure if it would work great, but you could at least test if it can read back. If it can read, and read reliably (IE maybe have your son run the laptop while you drive the truck around a little while monitoring some kind of feedback from the ECU), then it probably can write fine. I know Alfa lets you "test" the app on android for free. Not sure if they have the same deal for winblows/PC.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Apple and Linux share the UNIX kernal core. They are not based on each other.

Not correct. Linux is just a kernel, it's not Unix. It is Unix based.
Apple (Mac OS X and iOS) were/are based on Darwin, which was/is based on BSD and NeXT (and whatever opensource Apple used)

As for the OP. Google anbox. You should be able to run Android version of AlfaODB on your computers, and it's better than Wine.
Or simple thing, get Android phone.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not correct. Linux is just a kernel, it's not Unix. It is Unix based.

Well if we're going to get pedantic, that's still not correct. :) linux is "unix like", which means it looks and feels similar to unix and implements posix standards. It's not based on unix.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well if we're going to get pedantic, that's still not correct. :) linux is "unix like", which means it looks and feels similar to unix and implements posix standards. It's not based on unix.

Umm It was and is correct. Linus based his kernel on Unix. Distro's would be Unix like.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Umm It was and is correct. Linus based his kernel on Unix. Distro's would be Unix like.

The linux kernel is "Unix like". A distro is just the collection of packages and software and kernel required to make a usable operating system.

pippakenzie

Reaction score
I stumbled upon your post from a year ago, and I couldn't resist chiming in to help a fellow Linux user. When it comes to programming your truck, there are open-source tools available that work well with Linux. Tools like FORScan and FORPDC have gained popularity and have active communities supporting Ford vehicles. You can check their compatibility with your specific truck model and year, and they might just be the perfect fit for your needs.
But hey, I understand if you're hesitant to go the Windows route. If you ever find yourself needing Windows for certain tasks, you can consider looking into cheap Windows 10 keys. On Reddit, you can find helpful info on reputable sellers offering discounted keys.