Can this 2020 ram 1500 express crew cab install hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seanxun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
Hi,everyone,I am planing to buy a 2020 ram 1500 express crew cab to tow a 6000 to 8000lbs travel trailer. Window sticker is as below. this one does not have tow hitch, per sticker, it shows “delete class Iv tow hitch”. I am not sure what does that mean? Can I buy this truck and go u-haul to install a hitch by myself, or it just cannot be stall a hitch?
the sales guy said it is a hitch group, not just a hitch, so better buy a more expensive car. so I was confused.
please help!

8C2753AD-34AD-42CD-9AFC-6052CD06C368.png

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can install an aftermarket hitch no problem you just won’t have the oil cooler and you’ll need to add the wiring harness for the trailer lights.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At 8000 lbs. you will be at the max towing weight, it doesn't have the better 3.92 gears in it to tow higher.
Honestly, if towing 6-8000 lbs far or often, you might want to reconsider and even then maybe go with a 2500.
If towing seldom or only short distances, you may get by with this truck but you are at it's limits.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as the hitch, I personally would go to a wrecking yard and get the OEM hitch or use car-part.com

OP
OP
S

Seanxun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
You can install an aftermarket hitch no problem you just won’t have the oil cooler and you’ll need to add the wiring harness for the trailer lights.
Thanks. not sure if it has oil cooler, but per window sticker, no tow hitch group, no trailer broke controller, just has 4 and 7 pin connecter harness. Very wired window sticker.

OP
OP
S

Seanxun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
At 8000 lbs. you will be at the max towing weight, it doesn't have the better 3.92 gears in it to tow higher.
Honestly, if towing 6-8000 lbs far or often, you might want to reconsider and even then maybe go with a 2500.
If towing seldom or only short distances, you may get by with this truck but you are at it's limits.
Sorry, my bad. The trailer dry weight should be around 5000lbs, full load weight will be around 6000 to 7000 lbs. I cannot tow over 10000lbs, that is so scary!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like someone mentioned above, yes you can add a hitch yourself but you will also need to but a trailer brake switch and a harness. You will also lose the added features that are included with the tow package.

Someone also mentioned that you will be pretty much at the limits of the trucks capabilities so you may want to consider a 2500.

They both are correct.

I just bought a new 21 and it only has the 3.21 gear ratio which isnt the best for towing. I have a 7x11 enclosed trailer I tow from time to time with 2 large harley Davidson in it and I would've preferred the 3.92 gears. Fortunately I dont tow anything too offten

OP
OP
S

Seanxun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
Like someone mentioned above, yes you can add a hitch yourself but you will also need to but a trailer brake switch and a harness. You will also lose the added features that are included with the tow package.

Someone also mentioned that you will be pretty much at the limits of the trucks capabilities so you may want to consider a 2500.

They both are correct.

I just bought a new 21 and it only has the 3.21 gear ratio which isnt the best for towing. I have a 7x11 enclosed trailer I tow from time to time with 2 large harley Davidson in it and I would've preferred the 3.92 gears. Fortunately I dont tow anything too offten
I did not realize that. Yes, this one just have3.21 gear ratio, do you think 3.21 is good for a 5000lbs dry weight trailer?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will be ok with the gears, the 3.21 is good for up to 8000 lbs. Just run a premium rear gear oil and change it at least every 2 years. Luckily, it is easier to change the rear gear oil than it is to change the engine oil. Use tow/haul and possibly the +/- buttons to limit your gear range if it shifts too often.

If you have the 7/4 pin wiring in place, you should just need to add the factory hitch ( I prefer OEM over uhaul ).
To add a brake controller, you should be able to just add the factory one or one of several aftermarket units.

Before going to far watch this video - at the 7 minute mark they show the location and the plugs for the wiring for the oem controller. The wiring is there on most of the gen4 trucks, but being a 2020 it would be good to check. If the wiring is there do a search for ITBM installation on here or just have your dealer install it and activate it or use aftermarket.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not realize that. Yes, this one just have3.21 gear ratio, do you think 3.21 is good for a 5000lbs dry weight trailer?
It should definitely pull it but If you're towing a lot then I would opt for the 3.92. My 7x11 enclosed trailer with 2 big harleys in it still weighs less than than. My previous ram had 3.55 gears which was a better gear than the 3.21 for towing. My new 21 ram was already on the lot with the 3.21s but I liked everything else on the truck. Fortunately I don't tow too often with it. Had I ordered the truck it wouldn't been the the 3.92 gear ratio

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless there is something different with the rear bumper, you shouldn't lose anything by adding the hitch and controller.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8 speed really compensates for the rear gears performance wise. Generally the 3.21's will run one transmission gear lower than the 3.92's. For ex. 8th gear (3.92) is equal to 7th gear (3.21).
So while I may be able to tow my boat in 8th gear (3.92's), if I had 3.21's I would most likely need to be in 7th gear - not a problem.

The first couple of gears are so steep that 3.21's w/8 speed is far superior to 3.92's w/6 speed trans models from a dead stop.

OP
OP
S

Seanxun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
You will be ok with the gears, the 3.21 is good for up to 8000 lbs. Just run a premium rear gear oil and change it at least every 2 years. Luckily, it is easier to change the rear gear oil than it is to change the engine oil. Use tow/haul and possibly the +/- buttons to limit your gear range if it shifts too often.

If you have the 7/4 pin wiring in place, you should just need to add the factory hitch ( I prefer OEM over uhaul ).
To add a brake controller, you should be able to just add the factory one or one of several aftermarket units.

Before going to far watch this video - at the 7 minute mark they show the location and the plugs for the wiring for the oem controller. The wiring is there on most of the gen4 trucks, but being a 2020 it would be good to check. If the wiring is there do a search for ITBM installation on here or just have your dealer install it and activate it or use aftermarket.

Thanks, that helps me a lot!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought you were buying used - this one has a few features that I would prefer over the other one. Namely the anti spin and 32 gallon fuel tank.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see your other option is a DS (Classic), and includes tow package, so I have some comments.

My two cents on the wiring harness for the brake controller - be sure the wiring is there, adding the harness is doable, but you'll have to source it, you'll have to install it, and you'll have to be sure it enables properly (dealer or AlfaOBD).

The OE ITBM is well integrated on the DS (Gen 4) trucks like mine - but it was not part of the "Tow Package", and needed to be ordered or dealer installed. As other have pointed out, there are posts on how to install and enable the control module.

Not sure how much difference the oil cooler makes - frequent towing might require adding one.

If the wiring harness is not there, ask the dealer to throw in the OE harness. Else ask about having them throw in the ITBM. My experience is that DS trucks with tow packeage really only need the switch and the ITBM itself; the ITBM bracket is hard to install, and my dealer shop says they don't stock them (big zip ties with foam padding tied to dash frame). Discounts asked for as parts are always an easier "Yes" than cash.