Can this tire be salvaged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really know where to post this so if it's not the right section, please move.

Well I took a trip down to Boston over the weekend and ended up bringing home a little souvenir. My wife drove half way home. As soon as I got in the truck I instantly noticed the tire pressure was about 10 psi lower than the rest. Got home and found this guy wedged in there.

I won't have time to bring it by a tire shop until Thursday so I figured I would see if anyone has any input.

Can this be plugged?

2wpiecp.jpg

I just need it to be used as the spare now. I am hoping it can be salvaged enough to hold air and be an emergency <50 miles trip type of tire.

SATCOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Really? Sure looks like it in treads to me. Please post what tire place said. Maybe ask 2 tires places to be sure.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't take that chance, you dont want to change a flat, put that on and it blow as soon as you drive off.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would have a good tire shop remove the screw and take a feel around the wound. If there's no separation/damage to the belts and it didn't separate the sidewall from the inner liner at all (and I'm guessing it probably wasn't long enough, you'd have a bubble on he sidewall if it did), then I'd have no issue patching and running it, especially as a spare. We can sit here an armchair this thing to death, but until someone actually roots around in the hole a bit, no one really knows.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A tech will have to check the inside of the tire where the tread panel meets the sidewall. Any puncture in the sidewall panel will render that tire unrepairable.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a sidewall panel in a radial tire. The object is in the shoulder of the tire, but the thing that is dangerous is the angle of it. It went in almost parallel to the radial plies of the casing, so there might be damage over a longer section along the cords, as opposed to something penetrating straight through. I would expect that it is likely not possible to declare it safe. If a repair is made, you'll never stop thinking about this tire and doubting its reliability. You'd have pretty good justification for doubting it, too.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's borderline. Depends if thst screw is bent in a favorable direction. Judging by the bulge on the side though I don't like your odds. Any chance that tire has a road hazard warranty? It looks pretty new.

OP
OP
RAMVT

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's borderline. Depends if thst screw is bent in a favorable direction. Judging by the bulge on the side though I don't like your odds. Any chance that tire has a road hazard warranty? It looks pretty new.

Not sure about road hazard warranty. These are the stock tires that came with the truck. That would be nice if there was a warranty but I am not going to get my hopes up on that one lol.

We will see what I find out Thursday.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I sold tires for 25 years. The tire should be dismounted and looked at. If the inner liner of the tire has not been damaged other than a simple puncture it should be able.to get fixed. Sidewalk on a racial tire.flex a lot making it hard to get a patch to stay but this looks like it is in the should area so I think the chance might be good to save this tire.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would first take the screw out to see what damage was done. If it's leaking air, it's absolutely done. If not, then you need to inspect more to see if there is any more damage to the tire. When in doubt, I would replace. No sense in risking a life or damage to your vehicle for a $200 tire.

OP
OP
RAMVT

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to two different tire shops last Friday.
First one was too busy to dismount the tire and see if they can fix it. They didn't seem to optimistic about it though.

Second place I was told by the manager that he wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, given the screws location but they would dismount to check and see what the damage was. The tech seemed to think it was easily fixable, the manager still wasn't having it. So I got the spare tire swapped on to my normal rim and now I am in the market for a new spare tire.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Went to two different tire shops last Friday.
First one was too busy to dismount the tire and see if they can fix it. They didn't seem to optimistic about it though.

Second place I was told by the manager that he wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, given the screws location but they would dismount to check and see what the damage was. The tech seemed to think it was easily fixable, the manager still wasn't having it. So I got the spare tire swapped on to my normal rim and now I am in the market for a new spare tire.

Classic wallet vs. liability argument