Can this truck with 3.92 rear tow 8k - 9k lbs safely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
what mileage did you get. I got the 33 gal tank and am glad I did as I am only getting 8 pulling 28' 6000# trailer at 68 on mostly flat roads. I use cruise and see mostly 2200 rpms
Luckily the wind was calm to none so I was getting close to 15 mpg. You just have to love the EcoDiesel for it's fuel economy.
The wind makes a huge difference. A while back was towing an empty 24' enclosed car hauler (about 3K lbs) in some high winds and barely was getting 13 mpg. The same trailer in no wind is about 17 mpg.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wife and I plan on buying a new TT next year and saw the one we like. Mallard M32 rear bunk, 30ft. 6700lbs dry. Loaded will put me under the 8240max tow weight. I have the 5.7 and 3.21 gears. I know that my gear ratio in not ideal to tow that amount, especially up hill. Roughly 300lbs of passenger weight. I have a WDH with sway control, that should help. But pretty much maxing out the truck. I wouldn’t go any heavier then that. Will need to get a set of tow mirrors and the 33 gallon gas tank as well.

Angelo44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
IF you plan on towing the 8,000# TT much, be careful of the towing capacity charts ... they lead you to believe that you can tow anything up to 12,700# with the tow package ... this turn out to NOT be fully true ... i have the trailer tow package, 392 rear, hemi 5.7 and am towing a 7000# gross travel trailer ... when you calculate the tongue weight (700#) and base payload (400# for 2 passengers and 300# of gear=total payload 700#) i only have 400# of excess towing capacity .... so the truck gvw is set to 7100# and trailer is gvw is 7000# to total 14,000# and gcvw is supposed to be 17,000# by the Ram online chart .. somewhere i lost 2,700# ... for a 8,000# trailer i would look at a 2500 Ram

I have a 8,000 lb trailer with 5.7 hemi and pulls very easy with no sway plenty of power and I travel thru the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Mine is a 2016 Ram 1500. I have 10 ply tires , heavy duty shocks, heavy duty breaks, came with the Dana rear end. I have a after market tranny cooler, air bags as well. It has plenty of torque and power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, you can do it safely. I suggest a really good load distribution hitch, but yes even without one it can be done safely with air bags like the Air Lift 1,000 unless you're getting one with the air bag system OEM. You just have to make sure your trailer brakes are always in perfect working order, and that they can do at least 51% of the braking. If you see heavy dust after each use you need to advance the trailer brake controller gain by 1 until you can stop the trailer from 10 mph within the combinations own length.

I used to pull my boat which is about 8,000lbs on its steel trailer that's about 4,000lbs, 12,000 combined with an '07 Durango with 3.92 gears with the hemi. Yes, I know how dumb this was now so no need to comment on that. Fact is it pulled the boat better (better power to weight) the 04 RAM 2500 4x4 with 3.73 gears and the hemi. And it pulled it out of the ramp better too, and, got considerably better fuel economy doing it. It just got pushed around occasionally.

I don't recommend going that far over numbers, and, I don't really recommend going across country with more then about what you have. But it can still he done safely if you keep your speed down, keep a distance between you and the vehicle in front of 1 second for every 10 feet of combination length, and above 40 add an extra second for each 10mph on top of the 1 sec per foot rule.

IMG_0867-3-1.jpg

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2019 Laramie 1500 with.3.92 and 4x4 off road package is rated for 11,200 towing.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
soapy Yep and it will do that fine as long as its a flatbed or speed boat in the flatlands. If its a long travel trailer / toy hauler over 8k you would be better served by an HD even with good weight distribution. 9k for a short infrequent with proper axles & tongue weight sure. Caveat maybe the 5th gen is dramatically more stable than the 4th Gen with heavy loads. We know its not more powerful. FWIW I have 490k towing TTs commercially with a 4th gen Ecodiesel.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The heavy towing I do is a pit cleaning mud trailer and usually only in town for a few miles. All my half tons have worked for this for 25 years. I have had a couple of 3/4 tons and they handled it a little better for sure. My half ton with the air suspension works great for my 10,000 lb mud trailer. If I were to pull a big travel trailer I would go deisel 3/4 ton+ for sure.

R

Rogues Gambit

I should be fine then, max I'll tow is 7k-ish and Rebels come w/3:92's

Siff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should be fine then, max I'll tow is 7k-ish and Rebels come w/3:92's
While you are probably fine, be sure to check the load capacity; Rebels have a lower haul capacity due to the added off-road equipment, so it doesn't take much to max out what you can have for tongue weight which them limits what you can tow.

R

Rogues Gambit

While you are probably fine, be sure to check the load capacity; Rebels have a lower haul capacity due to the added off-road equipment, so it doesn't take much to max out what you can have for tongue weight which them limits what you can tow.

So where do I check to see what the limit is, new to all this here.

Think I've seen on another forum people were towing close to 10k with no issues

R

Rogues Gambit

It is right on the sticker in the drivers side door jamb.

https://www.ramrebelforum.com/forum...owing-capacity-rebel.html#/topics/7505?page=2

"Real World Towing. Ram Rebel 1500 4x2 - towed travel trailer 6700Lbs dry weight, 9000GVWR with sway bar...etc. 500Lb golf cart in the bed (fabricated ramps for length), 2 persons in the truck. Extra items, weight in the Travel Trailer 300Lbs. A dozen trips to the mountains " steep grades ", beach, etc. No issues at all. Loved the setup. I've recently switched to a 5th Wheel 8400Lbs dry weight, no golf cart"
Post #14

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
which 5th wheel trailer did you get. just curious as I have been on the look out for one that I could pull with my laramie.
thanx

R

Rogues Gambit

which 5th wheel trailer did you get. just curious as I have been on the look out for one that I could pull with my laramie.
thanx

Oh no, I'm just sharing a quote, I'm curious as well though

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I'm not looking for anything bigger than what I have now just hear from folks that have em that they tow better.

Siff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So where do I check to see what the limit is, new to all this here.

Think I've seen on another forum people were towing close to 10k with no issues
It is in the driver’s door jamb on a sticker; it includes all factory options, but anything you add to the truck (like drivers, passengers, Bedliner, tonneau cover, luggage, etc) take away from it.

My door sticker for my Laramie lists 1572, but it has no off-road equipment and I have since added a Bedliner and bed cover which take away another 100 lb to bring it to ~1450. If I towed a 7-8k lb TT, I could only put about 3 people (or 2 adults and two young children) in the truck with all luggage/gear in the trailer. Four people would require me to get a 3/4 ton truck.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is in the driver’s door jamb on a sticker; it includes all factory options, but anything you add to the truck (like drivers, passengers, Bedliner, tonneau cover, luggage, etc) take away from it.

My door sticker for my Laramie lists 1572, but it has no off-road equipment and I have since added a Bedliner and bed cover which take away another 100 lb to bring it to ~1450. If I towed a 7-8k lb TT, I could only put about 3 people (or 2 adults and two young children) in the truck with all luggage/gear in the trailer. Four people would require me to get a 3/4 ton truck.

Wow the 19's have gone up in capacity a few hundred, my 16 Outdoorsman is either right over or right under 1200 lb. if I remember correctly without looking.

R

Rogues Gambit

Since I found out it's a bobcat I'd have to tow, I'm not too worried as it wouldn't be all the time