Can't burnout...why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeEIB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I just bought a 2014 Black Express, 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed w/3.55's, open diff.

Let me start by saying I love this truck. Smooth riding, looks great, and has plenty of power. The power is noticeable which is why it's surprising that from a dead stop I can't get the rear tires to break loose.

I've tried turning traction control off and putting it manually into 1st gear. Still little to no wheel spin. I really don't care that much, but it does have me curious as to what prevents the tires from spinning. Please educate me.

Secondly, I've already been eyeballing' some mods. I installed a catch can, but that's it so far. Would the Hemifever tune enable me to burn out?

wedge775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
With my 2010 Sport, I can do all that and smoke my rear tires. All there is on mine is a Mopar CAI. But with 4 years between the model years they could have changed something.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RF and congrats on your new truck! This is a great place to help you figure out how to burn some rubber! :)

I am willing to bet that a Diablosport tuner w/Hemifever tune will allow you to smoke your tires. But consider letting your truck break-in a little before you drive it too hard.

Last edited:

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It'll do it, doughnuts are a little harder, the stability control kicks in as soon as you counter steer, it'd be so much fun if you could get rid of all the nannies.

OP
OP
M

MikeEIB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It'll do it, doughnuts are a little harder, the stability control kicks in as soon as you counter steer, it'd be so much fun if you could get rid of all the nannies.

Does a DS tuner allow the nannies to be turned off?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does a DS tuner allow the nannies to be turned off?

Yes sir.

After a couple mods and then adding the HF tune, I could smoke em (a tire) for half a block with 3.55 and open differential. I have since swapped to 4.10s and lsd, so the lsd helps reduce the burn outs.

Last edited:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diablosport or Bullydog will disable all the nannies in the system. Then it's smoke city

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think torque management is more prevalent during your break in period via your PCM. It's preventing you from burning out for a good reason, being extending the longevity to your drivetrain. Let it break in naturally

OP
OP
M

MikeEIB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think torque management is more prevalent during your break in period via your PCM. It's preventing you from burning out for a good reason, being extending the longevity to your drivetrain. Let it break in naturally

I never considered that. That's a darn good feature if true.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Diablo with White Lightning tune and he sent me a tune with traction control completely shut off. Also shuts off ABS. Easily spins the tires! :)

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I could light them up pretty easy when I was stock...

Maybe does have something to with the break in period. Didnt think these PCMs were that advanced. lol

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the tuners shut off the stability control though? I can power brake and lay rubber just fine with the T/C turned off, but doughnuts are lacking.

MR.REMBERT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Step 1: Disable traction control
Step 2: Left foot apply to brake and hold
Step 3: Right foot mash the gas

Tires will warm up and smoke after a few seconds.

Step 4: Slowly release the brake

Enjoy the eyebrows

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unplug your battery for 30 mins and then try it...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the tuners shut off the stability control though? I can power brake and lay rubber just fine with the T/C turned off, but doughnuts are lacking.

You can turn it off in the trinity t-1000. As far as donuts go though, I don't have any issues even with stability on. I turn t/c off, turn the wheel, floor it, and in circles I go.

Have done it with the 3.55 gears I had stock, and the 3.92 gears i put in.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How long does it take until it is past its break in? This may be the reason my 4.7 will not maintain 70 mph with a small load or go up a steep hill. Can it be checked to see maybe it's restricting too much? Good info!!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I got my 09 it took a couple times but all I do is stop, let truck get slight roll, jam brakes and throttle down! Spins 35x12.50s no problem, which are ungodly loud!!!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The traction control switch doesn't turn it all the way off....you need a tuner for that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf