Can't find wheel lock key, best way to replace them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayc71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel & 6.2L Supercharged Hemi
2019 Rebel, for the life of me I can't figure out where the hell the key is. We just moved so it may have gotten lost or it's in a box where I won't find it for years.

My *******-ness aside, what are the best options for removing them and replacing them with new ones? I'm worried I'll get a flat and have to get the thing towed since I can't get the wheel lock off. Can the dealer remove them or should I take it to a local shop.

Thanks.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Assuming it's a McGard wheel lock, email or call them. They can match you up with a key once they figure out the style of lug and see a pic of the pattern.

Great company. I worked for them in the early 1990s.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
As PMR said above, contact McGard. You may also want to go through your papers that came with the truck to see if the dealer left the key code in with them. Your dealer, if you bought it new, might also be of some help, I'd call JIC.

When I bought a used 14 Sport with no key, I found the dealers don't have master keys and the tire stores didn't want to deal with them without a key.

I finally cut the hardened ring off with a die grinder and then drove a socket onto the softer metal underneath and turned them off. The hardened ring on them kept the socket from getting enough purchase to turn them off.

OP
OP
Jayc71

Jayc71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel & 6.2L Supercharged Hemi
Assuming it's a McGard wheel lock, email or call them. They can match you up with a key once they figure out the style of lug and see a pic of the pattern.

Great company. I worked for them in the early 1990s.
Thanks gonna try this.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Option #2... buy four new wheel studs, to replace the wheel studs you broke when popping the locks off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Try stopping at a tire store. They usually stock just about every type of key imaginable.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A big set of Vice Grips and a brass/plastic mallet should get them off and then replace with regular lug nuts.
problem is most of the newer lock sets have a ring that spins so you can’t get vice grips on them or bang a socket onto them.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Try stopping at a tire store. They usually stock just about every type of key imaginable.

Hope it works but around here they just send them to a welding shop to weld a nut on them or cut them apart like I did. Couldn't find a shop or dealer in the area that had keys.

BlackOps6

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you have stock wheel locks go to a dealer and they will remove it. I had the same problem and they removed it for me

SixPoints_Kev

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.7 CTD
Jayc71, if you haven’t looked there already, pull the plastic panel at the base of the front passenger seat off. The panel is on the right side of the seat near the door sill. See if it’s zip tied to the seat mounting bracket. My dealer hid mine there, and it had flipped over and tucked itself under the seat bracket. Took me a long time and stressed me out looking for it. Hope that helps!

jbowen52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks for the tip guys. I had tires installed a couple months back and went to do some brake work and no key! Wasn't sure how to proceed, but McGard came to the rescue. The directed me to a lock ID card I didn't know I had and ordered a replacement. Cheaper and easier than any other option for removing the locks. Very pleased with their customer service. Made my day!