Can't find wiring harness for OEM Trailer Break Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexmolina93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having trouble installing my OEM trailer brake controller. I've already installed the switch into the dashboard and the module underneath the steering wheel. The problem I'm having is that I can't found the wiring harness that goes from the switch to the module. There is only one connection under the steering wheel, which goes from the module to the trailer and no extras behind the dashboard. Has anyone else found the same issue or has an idea of where to get that harness? I haven't been able to find it in the MOPAR shop.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The switch on the dash doesn't plug directly into the brake module, that plug is behind where that witch mounts. If that's there then the other plug should be under the dash usually around the steering column possibly strapped to something to keep it from making noise.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine were wrapped in foam and not visible, look for foam wrapped wires near the module mounting area.

JohninTexas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys thought I would post here since I am having a problem with a brake controller install. I think someone has already installed some kind of brake controller as this is a new to me/ used 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Lonestar. My truck has the tow package and I purchased a brake controller and a wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness. That all worked out fine, and the controller does come on. It flashes NC for NO Connection the only problem is after hooking up my trailer it still flashes NC so its not recognizing that there is a trailer. Also the LCD information box in the dash on my truck where it tells you MPG ect goes completely to a gray screen with nothing on it. Something is cross wired someplace. Does anyone know what the wire colors are in the dash that I need to be looking for that connects into the harness for the break controller?

JohninTexas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thought.... do I have to get the computer flashed to recognize a brake controller? I have read that others see something in the display when a brake controller is installed.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Another thought.... do I have to get the computer flashed to recognize a brake controller? I have read that others see something in the display when a brake controller is installed.
Yes you need to either get it flashed at dealer or enable with alpha obd to have the computer recognize the brake controller.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you need to either get it flashed at dealer or enable with alpha obd to have the computer recognize the brake controller.
Stupid. The fords I deal with at work are the same way.
Why does the damn computer have to be involved in EVERYTHING? It's reasons like this I like my 70s and 80s Dodge's so much better, no computer for anything and the trucks did just fine without.

JohninTexas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to keep from having to get the computer flashed, I could just use the pig tail instead of plugging in to the factory harness and just wire it up myself?
I think that way the dash part would be out of the picture. Its an aftermarket controller so really no need to see the dash part, it has its own read out.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So to keep from having to get the computer flashed, I could just use the pig tail instead of plugging in to the factory harness and just wire it up myself?
I think that way the dash part would be out of the picture. Its an aftermarket controller so really no need to see the dash part, it has its own read out.
You don't flash the truck for the brake controller if your not using the OEM one.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and the wiring harness in my 2010 1500 and did not have my truck flashed, just plugged it in and off we went.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are so many Youtube videos on Brake controllers
i would guess that there is a video for every year Ram & every different brake controller ever made

WaRam2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not found anything for using Alfaobd to flash my 2012 Laramie

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i have a 2019 1500 Classic using a aftermarket controller for my trailer plugged it in to factory harness under dash and we were off the only concern i had was after i shut my truck off two dot's would stay on so i called the manufacture of the controller they said it was normal and would shut off with in 30 min of shutting truck off and it does just that ! No BCM Flash needed on aftermarket controller ! this winter going to add factory brake controller model and switch the Flash BCM !