Can't iD source of Noise coming from under front of 2010 Ram 1500 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyOOO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm have a clicking type noise(see attached video) coming from under front end of my truck. It goes away when I slip the vehicle into neutral, happens in 2WD and 4WD, probably at all speeds but easier to hear at lower speeds. I did have a check 4WD code a month back but no codes are presenting currently when run diagnostics.

My local wrench is trying to correctly diagnose put his noise isolating device on the transfer case and does not think it is a gear grinding issue, do not want to replace transfer case if that is not the problem. He said it sound more like and electric motor trying to shift but not executing. He thought it was a good idea to ask your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for you comments and knowledge.

Noise video

Dodge Ram 2010 Trasfer Case.jpg

Roller700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the same noise on my 2014. Lower speed and when I shift to neutral it stops.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put yur truck into manual mode or tow haul to disable MDS see if noise goes away it sounds like my truck did before I tuned it out.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyOOO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you jws123, your diagnosis and work around were spot on. I appreciate the sharing on this forum, my mechanic said he would never have caught this without the input from here. He was definitely getting frustrated not being able to diagnose this.

I am having my local shop look into how much to turn off MDS via the tuner route. He has a tuner that he can upgrade to turn off MDS for my truck just waiting to hear back from him on cost. He has had to do it on many GM vehicles but this is his first Dodge. His concern is for the MDS to go bad/rogue he feels it might have begun the process of damaging the cam, valves, or lifters. He said that is what happened to every GM that was already into their AFM(active fuel management) problem. Said I should be prepared for possible bigger problem in the not too distant future if the Ram acts like the GM vehicles.

Does anyone have any experiences with the MDS noise issue and what was your fix?

If I don’t turn off the MDS will this cause bigger problems or just the noise issue?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you jws123, your diagnosis and work around were spot on. I appreciate the sharing on this forum, my mechanic said he would never have caught this without the input from here. He was definitely getting frustrated not being able to diagnose this.

I am having my local shop look into how much to turn off MDS via the tuner route. He has a tuner that he can upgrade to turn off MDS for my truck just waiting to hear back from him on cost. He has had to do it on many GM vehicles but this is his first Dodge. His concern is for the MDS to go bad/rogue he feels it might have begun the process of damaging the cam, valves, or lifters. He said that is what happened to every GM that was already into their AFM(active fuel management) problem. Said I should be prepared for possible bigger problem in the not too distant future if the Ram acts like the GM vehicles.

Does anyone have any experiences with the MDS noise issue and what was your fix?

If I don’t turn off the MDS will this cause bigger problems or just the noise issue?
Glad it was something simple plenty have had noise from mds its a ****** system we all tune it out to prevent it from coming on thats the fix. Do your oil changes on time every 5k full sythetic maybe you will be one of the lucky ones whos camshaft/lifters never fail.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you jws123, your diagnosis and work around were spot on. I appreciate the sharing on this forum, my mechanic said he would never have caught this without the input from here.

Yes. Although the way the symptom is stated is unclear, I suspect you have a broken cam phaser.

This can be tested. In drive with Tow/Haul off, allow the vehicle to coast down from road speed and to a point where the ECO lamp switches off. If the noise goes away immediately when the ECO lamp goes off, or at around 1100-1200 RPM, the cam phaser is defective.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89818 miles.