Capless Gas Tank Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ground Swell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Loving the new truck, but been having problems at certain gas stations when trying to fill up. For some reason the pump keeps popping off (similar to when your tank is full). During one fill up I have to repeatedly pull the handle to keep the gas flowing. Any ideas on what's causing this or how to fix it?

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has to be the gas swirl/air coming back hard enough to kick off the pump. I know on the first year Titans when they came out, this was a big issue, and I had it on mine at certain stations all the way to the end. If the gas pumped super fast, I usually had to put it down a notch or else pull the nozzle a little further out of the tank. I haven't put any gas in this thing yet, so I don't know if the nozzle pierces both flappers or just the first one. If it only pierces the first flapper, you could try pulling the nozzle out a little bit.

Hey, at least if it overflows it'll come out on the ground (according to the sales guy). On my Titan, when it spit back it ran down the side of the truck. Anyway, the cure on the Titan where it happened with that pump was just to pump the gas a little slower.

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is the one thing I absolutely hate about my truck. I have to stand there and push the nozzle into my truck the entire time. Second flapper will close off every time when the nozzle stops making enough contact to keep it open. There is no way around it other than keeping pressure on the nozzle so it's opening that second flap. I don't dare try and leave it pumping because it kicked one time so hard that it fell out and almost scratched the whole side of my truck coming down.

I had no idea there was a second flap until I started pouring in a container of Lucas - and it all just spilled out and none of it made it into the truck. I've never seen a second flap that deep down where I need a funnel to put injector cleaner in my fuel tank.

Last edited:

millrat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
there is an included funnel in the truck for pouring in gas from cans and using other small bottles... the owners manual will tell you where it is, mine is beside my jack in the truck.. I have not had any issue with pump nozzles not staying in the filler port. I put it in, set the handle and wait for it to click off when its full.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of gas nozzles, does the 2019 still recommend 89 octane? I was wondering if that changed

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of gas nozzles, does the 2019 still recommend 89 octane? I was wondering if that changed
pretty sure it does recommend 89...I run 87 all the time and runs smooth as silk. I'd be curious to know the reason they recommend but not require. Emissions or carbon build up in the motor or do they just give you a few more ponies on the high end? My 6speed challenger requires the primo and I've never tested the waters with anything but...the challenger guys say you'll get engine knock if you use lower octane.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll run 87 for sure. I saw that in the manual, and if I go on vacation into the lowlands I'll use 89 but up here in the mountains 87 isn't going to have any trouble at all.

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was running 87 for a while til I saw the 89 recommended ,, running 89 and have been seeing no difference in gas mileage or performance,, gonna go back to 87...
as far as gas filling issues only once did i have to stand there and hold til it filled

91nrohgib

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very first fill up and had no idea there was no cap. Seems like that would make it easier for someone to mess with the tank...

Do they have after market caps, or is the cap less feature ground breaking awesome and I’ll simply get used to it?

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you'll get used to it...but... I am getting an intermittant check engine light pointing to the fuel vapor recovery system... the same code you would get if you didn't put your cap on properly. I haven't gone to the dealer with it yet, but soon.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
pretty sure it does recommend 89...I run 87 all the time and runs smooth as silk. I'd be curious to know the reason they recommend but not require. Emissions or carbon build up in the motor or do they just give you a few more ponies on the high end? My 6speed challenger requires the primo and I've never tested the waters with anything but...the challenger guys say you'll get engine knock if you use lower octane.

Just as in your Challenger, the higher octane fuel will resist fuel pre-ignition(knocking) when hauling/towing. For normal driving there is probably little benefit for running a higher octane fuel.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've owned capless gas tanks in cars and trucks since 2008. Nothing new.... Millions of vehicles out there with capless tanks.

Personally, I don't like the capless option. Probably because I'm old fashioned. I don't like the way the neck flexes when you put the nozzle in, and having to make sure you're clearing two flappers. Nor do I like the push in to release the fuel filler cover - I'd rather have just a regular flip cover.

But, as you say, there's nothing inherently wrong with the setup. I think it makes things a little more complicated than they need to be, but it is the future :)

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ran 87 Octane on my new 2019 Laramie 5.7L since new. Just got back from a 2800 mile round trip to Florida and used 87 Octane the entire trip with no issues. Averaged 22 mpg on my trip down and 19.5 mpg on the return trip back to Connecticut.

jimh4662

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn C.C. Delmonico Red PearlCoat
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some years back I inquired as to why the suggested octane rating on my 2014 . A Mopar engeener wrote me a response .He said computer is Factory Tuned to run 89. Other octane can be used because of possible limited availability. The Computer actively changes settings to run them to prevent spark knock, oxygen sensors, other adjustments, etc. I figured there must be a reason it was factory set to run 89 I would stay with the suggested rating.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're having problems because of the goofy gas nozzles you guys in Cali have due to all the state regulations.
Yes was just in Cali April 12 and got fuel in Needles and that gas noozle was a PITA for sure