Car lift in garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
another good point for the 4 post lifts, the concrete requirements are a lot less.
you can even get them in a portable configuration.

abrasv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 4 post lift in my 30x40 shop at the house. Shop was built to hold a 38' motorhome that we no longer have so put this portable lift in. It came with casters so that when empty it can be moved to another area or even outside if you would want to do some underbody powerwashing. Concrete is 6" and lifting height is 14'. Cost around $3k.pass side-1.jpgon lift.jpg

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My friend had one in the 70's installed in his garage, it was a single cylinder Air over Hydraulic in the ground, worked great !!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Rlaf75
Is your Ram in the 6,000 - 7,000 weight class
Or is it in the 7,000 - 8,000 weight class

The QuickJack BL-7000EXT is a 7,000-lb. capacity

Joseph
The trouble with a single post is that you may have trouble getting at the Transmission :(

70runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Installed an Atlas BP8000 (8K capacity) in a standard 2 car garage with 8.5ft height (open joists). Drew up some plans to create an 8ftx17ft at 10ft height tray opening in ceiling (not an engineered truss system). Ran the plans through a couple of construction forums and also my cousin, a 30yr professional framer. Removed 3 ceiling joists, added 3 rafter ties, boxed each end with a steel beam. Double sistered the perimeter joists (3 total). The steel beam bolts to the sisters. Welded joist hangers to the beam and nailed the joist stubs to the hangers. Design:

a1_GarRoof3D_V7.jpg

10ft height works great for cars, but the Rebel is a handfull. Can get the Rebel about 3 1/2ft into the air, tight squeeze on my rolling stool but workable. As others have opined, concrete is the key. My case, std 3 1/2" slab (plus/minus), not nearly suitable. Cut two 4ftx4ft sections centered on post positions. Excavated to 15", undercut existing slab, installed rebar cage, and poured 4000psi concrete mix.

b1_rebar.jpg

Cured 30 days, then drilled 1" holes using post baseplate as template. Lift came with standard wedge anchors, but I opted for Wej-it Power Sert epoxy anchors. One other thing...recommend a quick disconnect close to and ahead of the power unit. These type push button electrical contacts have been known to fail closed, that is, welded together to create runaway condition.

fullwrr.jpg

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Installed an Atlas BP8000 (8K capacity) in a standard 2 car garage with 8.5ft height (open joists). Drew up some plans to create an 8ftx17ft at 10ft height tray opening in ceiling (not an engineered truss system). Ran the plans through a couple of construction forums and also my cousin, a 30yr professional framer. Removed 3 ceiling joists, added 3 rafter ties, boxed each end with a steel beam. Double sistered the perimeter joists (3 total). The steel beam bolts to the sisters. Welded joist hangers to the beam and nailed the joist stubs to the hangers. Design:

View attachment 468811

10ft height works great for cars, but the Rebel is a handfull. Can get the Rebel about 3 1/2ft into the air, tight squeeze on my rolling stool but workable. As others have opined, concrete is the key. My case, std 3 1/2" slab (plus/minus), not nearly suitable. Cut two 4ftx4ft sections centered on post positions. Excavated to 15", undercut existing slab, installed rebar cage, and poured 4000psi concrete mix.

View attachment 468817

Cured 30 days, then drilled 1" holes using post baseplate as template. Lift came with standard wedge anchors, but I opted for Wej-it Power Sert epoxy anchors. One other thing...recommend a quick disconnect close to and ahead of the power unit. These type push button electrical contacts have been known to fail closed, that is, welded together to create runaway condition.

View attachment 468820
Hey @70runner, is your car original and matching? Very rare, and a stunner, too. Something like only 30 or so convertibles made in '70

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
No I don’t have one. Check out Vice Grip Garage on YouTube. He has an in-depth video regarding the lift and shows it’s setup & operation. He’s lifted everything from full sized work trucks to a 1970 Caddilac. It’s a well sorted and safe unit. The video aired about a year ago. Very cool and on my list.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m building a 30x46 shop right now and planning for a two post lift. 7” floor where the posts will be, and vaulted ceiling for height. Planning on a 9000lb lift and right now, I’ll be going with a symmetrical. Although I’m still working through the pros and cons of asymmetrical vs symmetrical. I’m at the insulation stage right now.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have had a 10,000 Lb 4 post Lift King for about 20 years. Big advantage is it works off 110 volt, 15 amp, power so no need for extra wiring. For storing cars over winter and working on them they can't be beat. This one just sits on the Garage floor, not bolts. Comes with a set of castors so you can move it around. I did put a high lift garage door, with roof height tracks and a side mounted motor, on the stall the lift sits in so I can get the vehicle up another 3+ feet for storage, means I can drive under the stored car.

The lift is completely solid and stable even with a heavy vehicle on it at max height.

20210402_112628[1].jpg

Last edited:

70runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Hey @70runner, is your car original and matching? Very rare, and a stunner, too. Something like only 30 or so convertibles made in '70
IIRC about 824 total 70RR convertibles, 34 with 440-6. Matching and restored.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I knew that the '70 440-6 convertible is a very rare beast.

With only 34 to start with, there can't be very many of those left today.

An absolute stunner IMO. Thanks for sharing.

phil88m6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Mohawk commercial twin post swing arm lift for my new garage. Had it installed in my old shop building. Bought it used, but is the best investment I ever made for the shop. I lucked out and found mine through a service shop that did my company vehicle maintenance. I would recommend looking for used commercial versus new hobby equipment. The new garage had 6" slab with rebar and 4000 PSI concrete. The lift is 230v single phase so power even for a home garage shouldn't be a problem if you have electrical panel space.

williscreg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a Mohawk commercial twin post swing arm lift for my new garage. Had it installed in my old shop building. Bought it used, but is the best investment I ever made for the shop. I lucked out and found mine through a service shop that did my company vehicle maintenance. I would recommend looking for used commercial versus new hobby equipment. The new garage had 6" slab with rebar and 4000 PSI concrete. The lift is 230v single phase so power even for a home garage shouldn't be a problem if you have electrical panel space.
How much did you pay for it? (Hope you don't mind me asking) Just checking some prices now, wondering what is the fair one.