Car wash drying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
56 years of driving I have owned the following.

I probably missed a car or truck in this list somewhere:)

66 Buick Special bought used. Kept 4 years.
69 Mercury Cougar bought new kept 6 years.
71 Mercury Cougar convertible bought used. Kept 4 years.
75 International Scout bought new. Kept 7 years.
75 Chevrolet K10 pickup bought used. Kept 4 years.
82 Mercury Capri RS bought new. Kept 18 years.
84 FORD pickup 4X4 bought used. Kept 4 years.
95 Dodge Dakota 4X4 bought new. Kept 15 years.
2000 Camaro SS bought new. Kept 15 years.
2008 Chevrolet Avalanche bought used. Kept 9 years.
2019 Ram 1500 4x4 bought new. Still here. Washed 3 times by hand in 7 months. Never waxed.

In fact I have only waxed one vehicle one time, the SS.

Note: Never had a ricer. Never had front wheel drive. Never had anything but a V8.

I would run all these vehicles thru car washes. Maybe 3 x a year
Even if they did not need it haha.

Ok I lied. When I went boondocking in the 4x4s or hit the beach. They got some kind of wash.

All were garage kept.

All survived lack of "intensive care".
I know it's blasphemy. I'm a car guy. But do not need a show room clean car.

The Dakota did have bad paint from the factory. It started to look bad after 10 years. Ughh.

Your mileage may vary. To each their own.

Have fun

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest I don't worry about the car wash damaging the paint. I only worry when the roof flex under dry air pressure.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to agree. I have only ever hand-washed my truck. In the fall I put a heavy layer of meguiars liquid wax and all I need is to go to the wash bay and spray it down in the winter to remove salt etc. With the wax, it comes out pretty clean. I dont trust the auto ones with their huge brushes etc.(what just came off of the vehicles ahead of me) So, many people go for the "touchless" wash. However, for those to work they spray on very harsh chemicals to loosen the dirt etc. They are very strong and have been proven to permanently damage the clear-coat and eventually even the paint underneath. I know its nice to have a clean truck in the winter too--but if you do a heavy ,quality wax job before winter it will protect your baby with just a spray down. My Ram is 8yrs old and there are no swirl marks anywhere. A nice thorough hand-wash in the spring and she is back to showroom shine.View attachment 214369
You ever notice how much water they use in the rinse...and how fast those brushed spin??? Nothing left on them. Far as the touch free you may as well just rinse it with the garden hose, unless in the winter up north..

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best way to dry a vehicle is with one of these types of contractions, lol,........

download.png

But, if you do have to use a towel, use the Griot's Garage PFM microfiber drying towel. The BEST drying towel out there!!

GlennB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Silver Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the choices you make about how to wash your vehicle is a direct function of a combination of life experience and knowledge of automotive paint systems. The more life experience and knowledge you accumulate, the more complicated you are apt to make the process. The same is probably true in many areas of life - I'm sure.

Add to the above - other variables like environmental (snow, road salt, salt water, desert sun, etc.), how much pride you take in your vehicle, who owns it (the bank/employer/you), how much spare time you have to spend washing your vehicle, your own physical limitations and if you even have the physical place to wash (if you live in an apt., townhouse, or similar) - and the decision gets even more complicated.

I think that there is arguably a "better" way to wash on the "technical" side but there's also the real world side. In the real word - any wash method that fits into your lifestyle is probably better than doing nothing at all.

Corey Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an unlimited plan at my car wash, and I drive through it every single day that it is not raining or snowing since new for the past 3 1/2 years. Yes, the hood bounces going through the driers. No, it doesn’t do any damage, and is no big deal. I don’t have a single scratch or swirl mark on my clear coat.
Every paint is different. You likely have hard paint and yes it does put microscopic scratches. If you don’t see them you are not looking in the right light or angle.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine