Careful if you want RAM EV, it maybe more expensive than you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figure I will be long dead before this stuff hits Mainstream use or acceptance.
EVs will never hit mainstream or acceptance. Expensive. Unreliable. Dangerous. Not, "Green". For those who fret over the latter, google the details of EV battery material sourcing, manufacture, charging and disposal...

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
EVs will never hit mainstream or acceptance. Expensive. Unreliable. Dangerous. Not, "Green". For those who fret over the latter, google the details of EV battery material sourcing, manufacture, charging and disposal...

EVs already are mainstream. 10.6 million units sold last year alone. Already near that number this year, and growing. And, it's not about green to everyone. EVs are just cool and fun.

Your excuses are all wrong.
Acceptance. 10% of sales already, and growing.
Expensive. First ones yes, as the OEMs targeted the luxury and top end version. GM already sells an EV that sells for under $20,000 with rebates. That pretty cheap for any car.
Unreliable. Again, old news. Newer models are far more reliable than any ICE.
Dangerous. How so? Fires per number of EV cars are the road are far less than fires with ICE vehicles per number of ICE cars on the road. Google it.
Green. Much more green than ICE, but still has room to grow and will grow as new power methods are developed and created. Still few buy on "green", but more on cool and easy.

And, as I've said before. Stop worrying if you hate EV. ICE is NOT going away. So getting offensive about EV just makes you look bad.

Last edited:

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And, as I've said before. Stop worrying if you hate EV. ICE is NOT going away. So getting offensive about EV just makes you look bad.
SMH.

Stop worrying? <<< NOT me.
...you look bad? <<< That's goofy. Nor am I worried about that, either.

Believe what ya wish. As I will. <<< Beauty of Free Speech.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all this stuff about whether EVs are better or worse for the environment… let’s have a debate about which brand cigarette will kill you the slowest. Cars are all bad for the environment, ICE or EV. What I really want to know is, will it have fake exhaust sounds like the challenger EV concept and will there be a software feature to lock the front axle for burnouts?

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
all this stuff about whether EVs are better or worse for the environment… let’s have a debate about which brand cigarette will kill you the slowest. Cars are all bad for the environment, ICE or EV. What I really want to know is, will it have fake exhaust sounds like the challenger EV concept and will there be a software feature to lock the front axle for burnouts?

I care only a little about how clean a truck is. Humans are dirty no matter how you go about it. I love how much easier it is to own an EV, and how much easier it is to drive and tow. I know a few folks that own different types of EVs, from Telsas to Lightnings. They tow and use their EVs a lot for many things. NO complaints at all from them. And EV is just plain enjoyable to drive. That's what matters to me. But, yeah, I'll miss the V8 sound for sure.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
SMH.

Stop worrying? <<< NOT me.
...you look bad? <<< That's goofy. Nor am I worried about that, either.

Believe what ya wish. As I will. <<< Beauty of Free Speech.

You obviously are worried, why else would you post concerns?

Another statistic for you. Amazon delivered over 75 million packages to doors in the last half of last year. Seems pretty accepted mode for that work. <<< more free speech :)

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
If an EV is an option and not forced on the consumer, then the idea of buying and owning one will be better accepted.

In other words, choices and having options on the types of automobiles we want will make it an easier and accepted entry for the EV into the dominate ICE vehicles market. Forced change gets a negative reaction every time.

Also, to each their own. I do not like EV's and won't be purchasing one and I don't have negative feelings for those who do.

I have negative feelings when someone wants to force there reasons and opinions about how the greatness is of EV's. ... let me decide that and I might consider owning one, lol.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You obviously are worried, why else would you post concerns?

Another statistic for you. Amazon delivered over 75 million packages to doors in the last half of last year. Seems pretty accepted mode for that work. <<< more free speech :)
Did not post concerns. I have none, WRT EVs. My post addressed, when EVs would go mainstream. (They won't).

Nice you are pleased with them. As for me, hard no to EVs. Sure hope the coal plants don't shut down. Wind mills and solar panels deliver, under ALL weather conditions. It's all a recipe for disaster.

Your last word. I'm done with this nonsense.

:big_banana_Dance:

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but I've not see any of EV ads that have been misleading. They are very straightforward with all of these statements providing details if asked. You should check to make sure you are not ignoring the responses on these questions.

Consider some of your statements are showable as misleading too.

- All recharge times are stated 80% which is also best for current batteries so that's what should and does matter. And, is stated in the vehicle sales info and owners manual. Most also state estimated 100% recharge time too.
- Towing is identical to all fuels on distances achievable. 50% of norm. This has been tested and shown many times in expert videos on the web and YouTube. Do gas/diesel vehicles show towing distance? I don't think so. Prove me wrong on that.
- Telsa charging is done by backing in. Why is this a problem? I personally always back into a parking spot with my Truck, but charging the REV will require going in forward. Big deal.
- Taxes are a fact of life. Complaining about them is useless. You know, death and taxes? Yeah. Not worth the argument. But I will anyway. Current tax on gas in California is just under $.70 per gallon. Consider a $4 per gallon price, that calculates to almost a 17% tax on gas. So a 13% road tax doesn't seem so bad.
- Zero emission is achievable. Do your research. I personally will likely charge 90% at home, and I only pay for wind power. Plus, many charge stations are solar powered or wind powered. Yes, it can be zero emssions today. If you pay attention.
- Ford charge at home? Since when was an option on any vehicle free of cost? If I didn't want to charge my home, I wouldn't want to pay for it and Ford allows that.
- There are plenty of sources of information, both on the OEM web sites and on plenty of other sites. Nothing is hidden here. You just have to look and read, which is easy to do if you want to.

You are basing your dislike on rhetorical fallacies. If you don't like EV, find good reasons with real data, not false reasons given by people with bad intentions.

Reasons that are real:
- Engine sounds are awesome! EV sounds are whiney. Easy to look past when you realize the power and speed in EVs. P.S. Towing is easier. Tested. Proved.
- Not all electric provided is good and easy to find. Hopefully Nuke power will make the comeback it should, there is room for improvement. And, clean power is available but at a price.
- There is a lot more time, engineering and technology in ICE engines. EV will take time to improve to the point ICE power is at today. The "new kid on the block" always has a learning disadvantage. Time is needed.
- Recharging in the wild is still hit and miss. Should improve with time. I give it 10 years before it's no longer an issue.
- Batteries are still at a distance disadvantage. P.S. REV just announce real 500 mile range, with an extender coming soon. So that argument will be void at some point in the future. But for now it is a reality. My current RAM 1500 has a 36 gal tank for 700+ mile range. So that's a valid argument.

I'm not worried about anything. ICE will never go away. EVs will be better at some point, if not already, (a situational and forward looking statement. Admit to your shortcomings, it helps.)
Just because 80% is best to save the battery it also is used to avertise reduced charging times. Yes one can research further but marketing knows that most don’t. Why not just market the same as rated distance? Backing in is a problem with a trailer not to mention the public and driving skills even without one.
Wind and solar are not zero Emissions. How do you build that equipment in the first place? How do you maintain it? Wait for the maintenance fee to show up. Besides the charging options aren’t so abundant that one can choose. EV tires take more rubber to make and wear out faster. Insurance rates are higher. Those so called solar and wind charging stations are backed up by the grid.
As for supplying the home with a truck and the needed equipment should be at least be marketed that optional equipment is needed for the truck and the home.
What makes you think that 13% will be the road tax?
Some state’s electricity is sold in tiers, more you use the higher the rate.
Why do you think Nukes should make a comeback? We have one remaining here and no new ones even planned. That’s 20 years away if they started tomorrow. They should have a new one ready each time one was decommissioned.
No one is fooling me I worked for an electric utility as a supervisor in their automotive department, I watched all things going on and still do.
They don’t have a truck even close to do what I do with mine. If you are home everyday to charge your vehicle then my heart goes out to you!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
EVs already are mainstream. 10.6 million units sold last year alone. Already near that number this year, and growing. And, it's not about green to everyone. EVs are just cool and fun.

Your excuses are all wrong.
Acceptance. 10% of sales already, and growing.
Expensive. First ones yes, as the OEMs targeted the luxury and top end version. GM already sells an EV that sells for under $20,000 with rebates. That pretty cheap for any car.
Unreliable. Again, old news. Newer models are far more reliable than any ICE.
Dangerous. How so? Fires per number of EV cars are the road are far less than fires with ICE vehicles per number of ICE cars on the road. Google it
Green. Much more green than ICE, but still has room to grow and will grow as new power methods are developed and created. Still few buy on "green", but more on cool and easy.

Statistics are funny things. 10 million units of EVs sold last year, another number is the 1.1 million increase (just increase, not total sold) in the number of trucks sold just in March 2023 versus 2022 in the US. And my truck has had one repair, warranty for abs module, in 4 years. My cousin's 2023 EV was stuck in multiple items repair hell before he could get it from the dealer and it has had 3 returns for repairs (not recalls) since. Kind of think my 4-year old ICE is much more reliable.

I toyed with the idea of the new Ram EV as a second truck, but after my first experience with a EV, I just don't like the feeling. Let off the throttle and it immediately slows down (yes, I know how they are supposed to work). Mashing the "gas" is fun at first, but gets old and just kills range. I don't like it telling me I am looking somewhere other than the road and since I probably could never buy a base EV truck without all of the sensor crap, I won't ever be in one.

skates15

Reaction score
Our 2022 Hyundai Santa fe hybrid goes from 40 mpg in the summer down to 28 mpg in the winter when I drive home at night after work and its zero out. Its a 1.3 litre turbo which runs like ass in the winter and takes a.long time to heat up inside when running on battery. When I start the vehicle I have to pump the gas hard to get the engine to kick in, then ill get heat.

Last winter one morning during my commute it smelled like an electric fire in the cabin. I turned off all heat, including the heated seats and the smell went away. There is a reason why it was recommended to Park the vehicles outside. Some apartments with underground parking wont allow EVs.

Don't get me started with the humanitarian disaster of child labor used to mine cobol for $2 per day. Those mines in africa are owned by Chinese corps who don't have to follow any rules. Young children literally sit in a hole in the ground hitting rocks with their hammers. The Cobol is sent to China for refining and manufacturing of the battery packs. The .gov gives credits to car makers as long as certain criteria is meant, one of those being the batteries are installed by US workers. If .Guv was series about EVs, the criteria would be that the battery packs are manufactured in the US using US materials mined here in the US and not africa.

You can be for the environment or you can be for humanity, but in the case of EVs, you can't support both.

I leased our hybrid before I learned about what goes into making it. We plan to get rid of it and ill never own another one.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Not if your state ever pulls a brainiac move like NY or Cali.

Mandate that ICEs are no longer in production before developing a realistic replacement.

Trudy should be jumping on that bandwagon any day now.

thank goodness I dont and wont ever live in a state like that.

skates15

Reaction score
I read an article last week that Hertz is dumping 20k used Tesla's for sale. Most have high mileage. I believe the article stated that they were going back to ICE.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The insurance and ability/cost to insure is going to become an issue - the question will be How will it be handled?
Gov. subsidy to the insurance carriers?? That will by my bet, and it will be paid for by taxes/fees/surcharges put on all other vehicles. That's my prediction.

I'm not opposed to EV's, I appreciate that they will run cleaner in cities just as I much prefer to follow a car with cat converters vs. an old car without cats.

I am opposed to the CO2 hoax that is being used to force all of these changes.
Greenhouse gases only affect the temperature of the tropic zone, they don't appreciatively affect the areas outside of the tropic zone.
That being said, cleaner air isn't a bad thing.
CO2 was chosen for a reason and not because of it's true climate influence.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't even want an electric lawnmower, let alone a vehicle, let alone a truck

Actually my Milwaukee Lawn mower and Milwaukee trimmer are pretty **** ;) I can cut my entire yard on 1 charge :cool: and the dual rapid chargers get me up to 80% in 40 minutes.... lol...

Now if they could just release the Milwaukee snow blower it would be great !

milwaukee-electric-push-mower-0010-1657726264.jpg

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually my Milwaukee Lawn mower and Milwaukee trimmer are pretty **** ;) I can cut my entire yard on 1 charge :cool: and the dual rapid chargers get me up to 80% in 40 minutes.... lol...

Now if they could just release the Milwaukee snow blower it would be great !

View attachment 538144
And for the 20 million dollar question..
How big is your yard ?

I think I got about 1.5 acres to mow

And snow removal ?

Yeah, I do that too...not gonna EV that iether

Attachments

• 20240110_163204.jpg
    20240110_163204.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1