Careful if you want RAM EV, it maybe more expensive than you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its all about batteries and insurance, currently insurance companies are still rating EV's, nothing is set yet, you will get insurance on that shinny new EV, but get ready for an insurance shocker in the future, many EV batteries cant be fixed after even a minor accident. This is a cut and paste, I will post link to article: Stellantis said it does not repair batteries after crashes where the airbags deploy, the same can be said for Tesla, and there are others.

Insurance bureau's have stated there have been many EV fires after minor to mid accidents weeks to months after the accident, so the insurance companies are saying the jury is still out on rates, Stellanis and Tesla will not provide insurance risk assessors of their battery manufacturing tech, the bottom line looks like your EV rates will be higher than you think eventually, and if you charge on your driveway or in garage, look for your house rates to go up, because when an EV catches fire, it goes out when it wants too and your house is already gone.

Seems like EV's are setup to be disposable like a Bic lighter.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen videos of Lithium dive light batteries the size of a bottle of beer, ignite and burn down service shops.

For years now, at least amongst those that know better, no Lithium dive light or dpv batteries should ever be charged indoors without constant supervision.

Once a Lithium battery ignites, the only method to successfully extinguish the fire would be to remove all of the air completely and not with water.

Water and Lithium batteries are a bad mix. I couldn't imagine charging an EV battery inside any enclosure without a highly sophisticated smoke and heat detection system.

If anyone is currently charging an EV battery inside without a very good monitoring system, do some research FAST or contact me or someone else who is familiar with the properties of Lithium batteries.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen videos of Lithium dive light batteries the size of a bottle of beer, ignite and burn down service shops.

For years now, at least amongst those that know better, no Lithium dive light or dpv batteries should ever be charged indoors without constant supervision.

Once a Lithium battery ignites, the only method to successfully extinguish the fire would be to remove all the air completely and not with water.

Water and Lithium batteries are a bad mix. I couldn't imagine charging an EV battery inside any enclosure without a highly sophisticated smoke and heat detection system.

If anyone is currently charging an EV battery inside without a very good monitoring system, do some research FAST or contact me or someone else who is familiar with the properties of Lithium batteries.

No EV for dis BOIRD, hopefully never, but U should not ever say never or forever, lmao.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figure I will be long dead before this stuff hits Mainstream use or acceptance.

Not if your state ever pulls a brainiac move like NY or Cali.

Mandate that ICEs are no longer in production before developing a realistic replacement.

Trudy should be jumping on that bandwagon any day now.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Mandate that ICEs are no longer in production before developing a realistic replacement.

Iowa will be the last State to mandate EV Cars.
We make Ethanol.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi

our son is heavily invested in Tesla and keeps buying us cars,so we are ahead of the curve.i have to admit they are a very good commuter car, so far and it's surprisingly good in the snow.about 6 months ago he says "i'm buying a cybertruck.want one?".so we're on the list.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think https://vinfastauto.us/ has the right idea, where you can basically lease the battery.

Not sure how it exactly works, don't want it, don't care much, really. But it might be the right way to go for people who can't wait to drive a BEV with a reasonable cost factor in mind.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
This is simple to rate...If it can't be repaired economically (which is appears it can't when certain components are damaged), replacement is priced. So, if a collision occurs and battery is damaged and that battery pack is $15K to replace plus body panels, the price of repair may cross the threshold into replacement. It's no different than existing ICE vehicles, just more compartmentalized. Replacement percentages may be higher(remains to be seen), but make no mistake...Once loss history is developed, pricing will be easy to calculate. That loss history is happening right now as we speak and has been for several years.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EV & Hybrids all suck.

Do you speak from actual firsthand experience? I think with BEV pickups the verdict is still out especially for those who tow a lot and over longer distances. The F150 and Rivian clearly show that towing performance leaves a lot to be desired and is not practical really. I've owned my 2018 RAM 1500 pickup since buying it new and love it for what it is - had 55k trouble free miles so far, knock on wood. We also own a 2017 Honda Accord - likely selling it soon - and a 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range CUV that will likely become my wife's daily driver. It is great for what it is - good range - plenty of storage space with the hatchback and trunk/frunk, and with the rear seats folded down - even more storage space. We've got a Tesla Wall Connector home charger installed in our garage so charging isn't something we need to worry about and we seldom use the Supercharger network unless we're planning to travel longer distances (which we haven't done just yet). The MY performance is simply in a different echelon than most other ICE vehicles. It is fun as hell to drive in all honesty. Fast is an understatement really. I used to drive sports sedans prior to moving to pickups many years ago - the MY CUV blows the doors off of anything I owned previously - I can see why there are EV converts with this in mind.

IMHO one of the biggest advantages of BEVs is home charging - I'm not sure I would consider a BEV without home charging availability. It is really advantageous when you can home charge for 90%+ of your driving needs - and then have the availability of the Supercharger network that Tesla has built for the 10% of the time when driving distances comes into the picture. If we drove long distances a lot - I'm not sure I would really consider anything other than a Tesla at this time as their SC network is widely known to be a real differentiator and generally superior in durability and availability when compared to other charging network providers - and the Tesla software offers a much better user experience when using the SC network and routing you to available charging spots proactively. Hopefully this will change over time with the other charging networks and the legacy auto manufacturers - as this is a very important part of the BEV ownership experience that everyone needs to consider.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EVs are not the greatest thing. The misleading advertising will tell you that. Why do they rate distance on a full charge but recharge time 80%? Trailer towing distance is not mentioned but has been shown to be useless. Charging stations are mostly back in and not covered. Not good. Electric rates will be skyrocketing, California is proposing 13% per year for the next 3 years, soon will be road taxes. Zero emissions is a big lie. Ford advertised you can plug their truck in to feed your house but doesn’t mention the cost to do that is north of $10k. The whole thing is like politicians telling you what they want you to believe but no time for questions.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

As a New York subject...er, I mean resident, he's right!

As of today no fossil fuel vehicles can be sold in New York State after 2033.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Daye: 3 June 2018. Now at 86719 miles.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As of today no fossil fuel vehicles can be sold in New York State after 2033.
2035 is the date, I hope I'm dead and gone by then this is nothing more than a political move by the Demoncrats!!! Also, we are in the PRNY (people republic New York).

Last edited:

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
ALL trucks are more expensive than you think.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Just rear article where Ram EV Truck will be 0-60 slightly slower than others but have a 500 miles range and tow alot mroe than others.

Imagine gearing, which gives me hopes.

Know on locomotives, it;s all about the gearing.
Also red where they are considering adding a Fossil Fuel Motor to act as a charger, while driving, to increase range, while under load.
That could be very handy.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
EVs are not the greatest thing. The misleading advertising will tell you that. Why do they rate distance on a full charge but recharge time 80%? Trailer towing distance is not mentioned but has been shown to be useless. Charging stations are mostly back in and not covered. Not good. Electric rates will be skyrocketing, California is proposing 13% per year for the next 3 years, soon will be road taxes. Zero emissions is a big lie. Ford advertised you can plug their truck in to feed your house but doesn’t mention the cost to do that is north of $10k. The whole thing is like politicians telling you what they want you to believe but no time for questions.

Sorry, but I've not see any of EV ads that have been misleading. They are very straightforward with all of these statements providing details if asked. You should check to make sure you are not ignoring the responses on these questions.

Consider some of your statements are showable as misleading too.

- All recharge times are stated 80% which is also best for current batteries so that's what should and does matter. And, is stated in the vehicle sales info and owners manual. Most also state estimated 100% recharge time too.
- Towing is identical to all fuels on distances achievable. 50% of norm. This has been tested and shown many times in expert videos on the web and YouTube. Do gas/diesel vehicles show towing distance? I don't think so. Prove me wrong on that.
- Telsa charging is done by backing in. Why is this a problem? I personally always back into a parking spot with my Truck, but charging the REV will require going in forward. Big deal.
- Taxes are a fact of life. Complaining about them is useless. You know, death and taxes? Yeah. Not worth the argument. But I will anyway. Current tax on gas in California is just under $.70 per gallon. Consider a $4 per gallon price, that calculates to almost a 17% tax on gas. So a 13% road tax doesn't seem so bad.
- Zero emission is achievable. Do your research. I personally will likely charge 90% at home, and I only pay for wind power. Plus, many charge stations are solar powered or wind powered. Yes, it can be zero emssions today. If you pay attention.
- Ford charge at home? Since when was an option on any vehicle free of cost? If I didn't want to charge my home, I wouldn't want to pay for it and Ford allows that.
- There are plenty of sources of information, both on the OEM web sites and on plenty of other sites. Nothing is hidden here. You just have to look and read, which is easy to do if you want to.

You are basing your dislike on rhetorical fallacies. If you don't like EV, find good reasons with real data, not false reasons given by people with bad intentions.

Reasons that are real:
- Engine sounds are awesome! EV sounds are whiney. Easy to look past when you realize the power and speed in EVs. P.S. Towing is easier. Tested. Proved.
- Not all electric provided is good and easy to find. Hopefully Nuke power will make the comeback it should, there is room for improvement. And, clean power is available but at a price.
- There is a lot more time, engineering and technology in ICE engines. EV will take time to improve to the point ICE power is at today. The "new kid on the block" always has a learning disadvantage. Time is needed.
- Recharging in the wild is still hit and miss. Should improve with time. I give it 10 years before it's no longer an issue.
- Batteries are still at a distance disadvantage. P.S. REV just announce real 500 mile range, with an extender coming soon. So that argument will be void at some point in the future. But for now it is a reality. My current RAM 1500 has a 36 gal tank for 700+ mile range. So that's a valid argument.

I'm not worried about anything. ICE will never go away. EVs will be better at some point, if not already, (a situational and forward looking statement. Admit to your shortcomings, it helps.)

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Fugly as heck with those appallingly ******** RAM Lettering, front and rear.

Figured they'd learned their lesson the last time they tried that crap.

Small unobtrusive RAM, on teh front, decal n the rear byt keep the oletters easily read and forget about the ultra stylish futuristic type of lettering which will look dated in a darn fast short time.