Cargo Light Gasket Experiences/Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 Laramie 1500 is telling me my passenger side LED tail light is out. It's working perfectly though. I have a canopy on the truck and didn't notice at first that the cargo light brake light is out. Seems like a simple fix, except that I'm afraid of inflicting that infamous leak, or I might find a small leak already present.

I've found various gaskets available and am not sure which way to go. Are the OEM replacements improved? Would you suggest a certain aftermarket one? Should I replace all the bulbs before using a gasket with adhesive? Having never been in there, I'm just not sure what the best options are.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Saleen405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure this is what's recommended. It is what I used anyway. Good luck.
Any leaks using this product? I have to change the third brake light myself.

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure this is what's recommended. It is what I used anyway. Good luck.
Thanks for the response! I found this one that claims to be a cure for the vaunted leak. It's much thinner than the product you recommended. I'm assuming it must compress way down with no problem?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is the same material I used on mine. Mine did not leak, but I wanted to be pro active and prevent any possible leaks. The material compresses nicely. I did read somewhere that Mopar did come out with a better gasket, but I have no experience with that.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Change ALL the bulbs to LEDs, after installing the light back into the cab, fill the gap between the cab and light with RTV silicone.
I have done this 2 yrs ago and have had no issues.

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I replaced the bulb, but didn't replace the gasket. The OEM gasket is thicker than the one I posted about earlier, and it seems to be in good shape. I will seriously consider LED bulbs all the way across and some kind of caulk across the top.

In the meantime, how do I clear the "brake light out" message?