CarPlay Nav coming out Left Speakers Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a new (to me) 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 8.4 Uconnect 4C screen. Everything worked fine when I picked it up, but a couple of days ago, my phone nav (Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps) as well as my text notifications started coming out only my left speaker. The right speaker would keep playing music and the same volume and wouldn't quiet down at all. Turning up the head unit volume only turns up the music so unless the volume of the stereo is down pretty low, I can't hear any NAV or notifications.

I've tried 3 different cables (2 apple brand lightning cables and 1 off brand cable) and no change.

Everything works great if I'm connected via bluetooth - both speakers will fade down in volume, the nav/notifications are clearly heard and then the music fades back up - but not when connected to the cable using CarPlay. I've looked through all the settings, but can't figure this one out. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Your radio likely did an OTA update from FCA to the latest application version v22.6
(Can't roll it back either)

Hold: Temp Up + Temp Down (driver) + front defrost for 6-10 send to get into dealer mode and check the radio info section if it's not listed in standard settings menus

M² Mods.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just bought a new (to me) 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 8.4 Uconnect 4C screen. Everything worked fine when I picked it up, but a couple of days ago, my phone nav (Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps) as well as my text notifications started coming out only my left speaker. The right speaker would keep playing music and the same volume and wouldn't quiet down at all. Turning up the head unit volume only turns up the music so unless the volume of the stereo is down pretty low, I can't hear any NAV or notifications.

I've tried 3 different cables (2 apple brand lightning cables and 1 off brand cable) and no change.

Everything works great if I'm connected via bluetooth - both speakers will fade down in volume, the nav/notifications are clearly heard and then the music fades back up - but not when connected to the cable using CarPlay. I've looked through all the settings, but can't figure this one out. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
Sam Baker

Sam Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

Thanks. I ordered a brand new Apple Lightning Cable. I'm going to try that. If it doesn't work, then I'll be taking it into a dealership since it's under warranty.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks. I ordered a brand new Apple Lightning Cable. I'm going to try that. If it doesn't work, then I'll be taking it into a dealership since it's under warranty.
I believe what you are referring to is by design. Tell me, when you press the uConnect button on your steering wheel, where does her voice come from? It should be left front.

You may be able to make it play the way you want by following these directions which essentially make all prompts from your phone play over the car stereo like a Bluetooth phone call.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/...ur-car-speakers-when-listening-radio-0160397/

In addition, to change the volume of the prompts you have to manipulate the volume from the radio while the prompt is playing.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sam Baker

Sam Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it's not SIRI, it's the notifications (text "dings", etc.) and NAV (Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps). This can't be by design because unless the music is turned WAY down, you can't hear the nav instructions. I bought the truck 10 days ago. For 6 days, it worked properly (and how it works with Bluetooth today)....when the nav app gives the instruction "in 1/4 mile, turn left on Smith Street", the music turns down from all speakers and you can clearly hear the instructions. The way it is now, the music only turns down a little on the left and if you don't have it turned way down, you can't hear them. It's a change from 10 days ago. Bluetooth works perfectly fine, but with USB/Lightning cable connected using CarPlay....that's where the volume issue arises. Thanks.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah, it's not SIRI, it's the notifications (text "dings", etc.) and NAV (Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps). This can't be by design because unless the music is turned WAY down, you can't hear the nav instructions. I bought the truck 10 days ago. For 6 days, it worked properly (and how it works with Bluetooth today)....when the nav app gives the instruction "in 1/4 mile, turn left on Smith Street", the music turns down from all speakers and you can clearly hear the instructions. The way it is now, the music only turns down a little on the left and if you don't have it turned way down, you can't hear them. It's a change from 10 days ago. Bluetooth works perfectly fine, but with USB/Lightning cable connected using CarPlay....that's where the volume issue arises. Thanks.
It is by design but you can fix it with the instructions I posted. There is no update to change this. You must set the prompts volume while they play.

OP
OP
Sam Baker

Sam Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn't work. It's not a volume issue, it's a speaker channel issue. When you're plugged into the USB cable, adjusting the volume buttons has no impact on the volume. Bluetooth is a different story. There, the volume buttons do have an impact, but the system is working appropriately when connected via Bluetooth. The link you posted above only applies to Bluetooth as well. This isn't Bluetooth.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That doesn't work. It's not a volume issue, it's a speaker channel issue. When you're plugged into the USB cable, adjusting the volume buttons has no impact on the volume. Bluetooth is a different story. There, the volume buttons do have an impact, but the system is working appropriately when connected via Bluetooth. The link you posted above only applies to Bluetooth as well. This isn't Bluetooth.
You have to be really quick or get it to say something long. Try getting a weather report or start Navigation to somewhere (those prompts are longer). The volume goes up to 38 on the notifications. Mine is set at 32...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I should also clarify, the setting that sets things to play "as a Bluetooth call" doesn't necessarily mean that it plays over Bluetooth in Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (if connected via USB). Only that it will play "like" a phonecall does and mute other audio while playing.

OP
OP
Sam Baker

Sam Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was able to increase the volume, but it's still not decreasing the volume in the right channel like it does when I'm operating in bluetooth mode and like it did when I picked up the truck. But, it's better and usable. Thanks for that. I wish CarPlay acted in the same fashion as Bluetooth and would reduce volume on both channels so it's even easier to hear the prompts.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I was able to increase the volume, but it's still not decreasing the volume in the right channel like it does when I'm operating in bluetooth mode and like it did when I picked up the truck. But, it's better and usable. Thanks for that. I wish CarPlay acted in the same fashion as Bluetooth and would reduce volume on both channels so it's even easier to hear the prompts.
So, that might actually happen in your phone apps and not on the radio itself. This is where the other settings I mentioned come into play. I'm not sure about Apple Maps, but in Google maps turn this setting either on or off (whatever the opposite is of it's current setting)

fc6373a90ccc777316a67c5c1c1cb4ee.jpg

To get to that menu you'll need to start Navigation to somewhere and then open the menu using the "up" arrow in the bottom right corner. Scroll all the way down to settings and click on it to bring up Navigation settings. "Play voice over Bluetooth" is what you're looking to toggle...

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Sounds good! Please feel free to reach out if you need any additional assistance.

Alison
RamCares

Rdubs98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was there ever a resolution to this? Just picked up a used 19 Ram and having the same issue. Finding that waze is easier to hear than Apple Maps but still hard to hear if volume for music is up over 20.. plus volume for navigation tops out at 25

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Same?? Used to be able to use maps from iphone and during directions the radio muted and directions played then music came back. Now the nav just talks over the music so I can't tell what is being said. At one point I changed something to act as a phone call so now when nav talks it cuts the radio, says directions then just sits there saying call ended and I have to restart the radio. Repeat everytime new directions are spoken ugh.........

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Same?? Used to be able to use maps from iphone and during directions the radio muted and directions played then music came back. Now the nav just talks over the music so I can't tell what is being said. At one point I changed something to act as a phone call so now when nav talks it cuts the radio, says directions then just sits there saying call ended and I have to restart the radio. Repeat everytime new directions are spoken ugh.........

Was there ever a resolution to this? Just picked up a used 19 Ram and having the same issue. Finding that waze is easier to hear than Apple Maps but still hard to hear if volume for music is up over 20.. plus volume for navigation tops out at 25

Both of these are corrected by a phone setting not a truck setting. Either in Apple car play or Android Auto under the settings you should be able to adjust the the pause setting while prompts are being played.