CarPlay not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stnewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disconnecting the battery worked for me the first time; however, carplay worked for less than a day after that. Disconnected the battery again and it did nothing. I took the truck to the dealership and they acknowledged the problem but didn't do anything and told me to wait for an update. So, no Carplay and no update still.

BlownOut1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disconnecting the battery worked for me the first time; however, carplay worked for less than a day after that. Disconnected the battery again and it did nothing. I took the truck to the dealership and they acknowledged the problem but didn't do anything and told me to wait for an update. So, no Carplay and no update still.
About what I figured, unfortunately. Process of elimination pointed toward truck not phone, and the fact that it works then quits pretty much says there’s a bug. In love with this truck so I’ll tolerate it lol but it still sucks

Chris Phillips2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Crew Cab Laramie Short Box
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all. I'm a first time truck buyer, and a new member here.

I took delivery of a 2019 RAM Crew Cab Laramie yesterday @ 3:15 pm, and at 5:00 pm I was in the Service department trying to figure out why I couldn't get Apple CarPlay to work.

I have a 2018 Camaro ZL1 that has CarPlay and I've used it several times with the same phone and cord.

My RAM Window Sticker said it was compatible with Apple CarPlay, so I'm expecting that when I plug my phone in to the cord, the phone, message, map, Pandora, etc apps will display on the screen.

With the RAM, when I plug in my phone, literally nothing happens. I don't see a "CarPlay" icon at the bottom of the screen, and when I go into Settings, General, CarPlay on my iPhone 7 it just spins and spins and spins without ever finding anything. If I click the voice control button on the RAM, Siri starts talking, but it never initiates CarPlay setup.

In the RAM, I am able to connect my phone via BlueTooth, but just nothing with CarPlay. Service tried multiple cords, phones (even Android), and nothing worked.

I hope they can get this fixed, because if not I'm gonna be pissed off buying a car that doesn't give me the features that I was looking for.

***EDIT***

I don't know why or how, but Apple CarPlay is now working. I'm using the same phone and cord as I was before, plugged it in, and for the first time I got a message on the truck screen that said something like "unlock device to use". I unlocked it, and CarPlay came right up. Every time since then when I've plugged in my phone, CarPlay has just started right up. Maybe ownership needed to be officially changed before that function became available, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Crane Dawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

Just picked up my ‘19 Limited this morning and Apple CarPlay has stopped working. It worked fine the first few times I drove the tuck, but has since stopped working. When I connect my phone via usb it does charge, and the phone can connect over Bluetooth , but CarPlay never starts up.

In the iPhones’s car play settings I “forgot” the uconnect system and reattached the phone but uconnect never shows up as an option.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Thanks.
I've had mine since July and I've had it to the shop 3 times for issues with Apple Play. It is a known problem and Chrysler is working on a solution. I'll let you know what I find out

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If my CarPlay doesn't connect usually if I unlock the phone it connects.. even though it is set up to connect when locked

1stnewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had my radio replaced about three weeks ago. It didn't solve the problem. Still no Carplay or Android auto. I also tried plugging in flash drives and the uconnect doesn't recognize them either. So much for a $60K truck. WTF. And FCA doesn't seem to give a damn.

Chris Phillips2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Crew Cab Laramie Short Box
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After mine suddenly started working and worked several times in a row, it has quit working and I haven’t been able to use it several times in a row.

I’ve tried plugging everything in when the phone was locked and then unlocking it, but that did nothing.

I’ve tried plugging everything in when the phone was already unlocked, and that did nothing too. Then I tried locking and unlocking and it continued to do nothing.

I’ve also tried completely shutting down my phone and then turning it on again, but still no luck.

Something I’ve noticed is that the USB ports are providing power to charge my phone when CarPlay is working, but when CarPlay isn’t working neither of the 2 front USB ports can be used to charge my iPhone. When this happens, I can use the exact same cord and plug it into the hidden USB port under the armrest and the phone will charge perfectly fine, so it’s not the phone nor the wire. Furthermore, I purchased a new official Apple cord over the weekend and tried it in the 2 front USB ports and CarPlay did not start up nor did either front port charge my phone but the port under the armrest did charge my phone.

I wish I’d have bought a different truck.

Last edited:

1stnewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
makes the two of us
I wish I’d have bought a different truck.[/QUOTE]

Rick8325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In version 12 of iOS, Apple added USB Restricted Mode which you can disable if you so choose. You can read about it here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/access-controls-usb-restricted-mode-ios-12/
Thanks for posting this. I am having an issue on my 2019 that never even allowed CarPlay to come on once. I only got the truck yesterday. This however did not work for me. My toggle for usb restriction was off but my phone works fine in my wife’s VW CarPlay no matter what position that toggle is in.

Rick8325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
To update what I wrote on previous post - I refreshed my iPhone's RAM/Memory and now CarPlay works.

To do this: Turn Siri off in settings, hold power button down and when slide to power off comes on the screen hold the home button for 5 seconds. Then put Siri back on.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To update what I wrote on previous post - I refreshed my iPhone's RAM/Memory and now CarPlay works.

To do this: Turn Siri off in settings, hold power button down and when slide to power off comes on the screen hold the home button for 5 seconds. Then put Siri back on.

I did this procedure and updated my phone to IOS 12.1.3. For now CarPlay works as it should. Thanks for the tip to clear the phones ram memory. Probably a good idea to do the ram clearing periodically.

Rick8325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I did this procedure and updated my phone to IOS 12.1.3. For now CarPlay works as it should. Thanks for the tip to clear the phones ram memory. Probably a good idea to do the ram clearing periodically.

To update again, this seems to always help the issue of CarPlay not working but now CarPlay only seems to work when it wants. I also have issues of a USB thumb drive loaded with music not showing up sometimes. Can't tell if this is a uConnect, iPhone, or USB issue....I'm leaning towards USB now. The USB ports however always charge the phone.

Rick8325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Going to dealer next week. I think it's a bad usb media hub but what do I know. I will update after I get the truck back.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have all kinds of issues with my 19 Laramie 8.4 as well. Just when I think it was a cable the issue comes back. But I get issues where the screen won't go to the currently playing section, won't connect, when it does work the screen jumps around on its own. It's a mess. Never had an issue with my 17 Scatpack.

Matthew Dunne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 classic and I installed the CarPlay radio 4c UAS. Everything works including Siri but CarPlay will not launch. My CarPlay setting on my phone doesn’t recognize the vehicle and after It’s plugged in for a while I get a notification saying there is a connection error with your CarPlay device. I’ve tried my wife’s phone. Disconnecting battery for multiple hours. Found the most recent update and did that but still nothing. And now since I updated it doesn’t give me the error anymore but it still doesn’t try to recognize anything. The only thing I haven’t tried is an android device.

1EA26B80-62EE-4BFE-BFD8-7D59C6435893.jpeg

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is in for inspection.. they just called and said it was done and they did a Uconnect update . Curious to see if it solves my occasional CarPlay issues

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is in for inspection.. they just called and said it was done and they did a Uconnect update . Curious to see if it solves my occasional CarPlay issues

Since they did update .. I have had zero issues with CarPlay connecting.. hopefully it continues