CARPLAY STOPED WORKING, 2019 ram 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcritch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey people! I have a 2019 ram rebel with the 8.4 head unit. My CarPlay connection randomly stops working. It WAS working and it stopped. I grabbed a new genuine apple cable and it worked..so I figured the cable was bad. Couple hours later I’m having the same issue. Tried another cable..and the same thing happened again. My phone will charge, but the CarPlay app doesn’t populate. I also get ‘USB error’. Super frustrating. CarPlay works fine with My VW tiguan. iPhone software all updated etc. seems to be an issue on the trucks end. Anyone have a similar issue??

Ryan Voelkl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey people! I have a 2019 ram rebel with the 8.4 head unit. My CarPlay connection randomly stops working. It WAS working and it stopped. I grabbed a new genuine apple cable and it worked..so I figured the cable was bad. Couple hours later I’m having the same issue. Tried another cable..and the same thing happened again. My phone will charge, but the CarPlay app doesn’t populate. I also get ‘USB error’. Super frustrating. CarPlay works fine with My VW tiguan. iPhone software all updated etc. seems to be an issue on the trucks end. Anyone have a similar issue??
This just alleged happened with mine! One day I heard a crackle sound coming from the stereo and now Apple CarPlay doesn’t work. Tried a new cable and iPhone, still no luck. I’m about to call the dealership.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I talked to my service guy at the dealership today. They are having lots of issues with Uconnect. My wifes Pacifica is acting up like that. Knock on wood my Charger has been fine.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and mine turned out to be the cable. I had Anker M-Fi certified cables (not much cheaper than Apple cables) and my truck seems to only like the real deal Apple cables for CarPlay.

I know you've tried an authentic Apple cable but have you tried any other USB ports? I'm not sure if you have the 5-seat or 6-seat option (center console or bench in the front) but I have the center console and 3 of the 4 "channels" are active for input signal (e.g. CarPlay). The two in the dash and the driver's side rear USB channels. The passenger's side rear is a charge-only channel. Each channel has 2 ports - a USB-A connection and USB-C connection. I'm not sure if the bench seat trucks have any rear USB ports but I would definitely try all 4 in the dash to see if the problem follows or is specific to a port.

If it's not a hardware issue (wires, connector, USB port/hub) you can try to 'soft reset' to see if it clears the issue. This was recently posted on another forum by RAMCares:

1. Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN) **For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal**

2. Hold down the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or tuner and volume knob), at the same time, for thirty seconds.

3. Let go of the buttons

4. Turn the vehicle off

5. Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds (or until dash illumination goes black)

6. Close door

7. Restart vehicle

8. Let the media center load up and see if the concern is still present

Hopefully that helps.

mikethemess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
My Carplay 8.4 has been doing this in my 2019 Ram as well for a few years. My specific issue is when my iPhone battery gets to a full charge, then the Carplay disconnects and seems to reset. A second or two later, it reconnects on its own. If I'm using Google Maps or Spotify, I will have to restart my destination on the map, or my song on spotify. I've had 4 iPhones, including brand new apple wires and it does the exact same thing, regardless of the phone. And, I rent a ton of cars for business travel and have never had the issue.

I've asked the dealership to troubleshoot, but of course they say they've never heard of this issue and can't duplicate it to repair it.

Has anyone experienced this issue with the battery coming to a full charge? Any suggestions?

grubin648

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys. Use your phone and video. I’ve had to do it on my 19 and now my 21 when issue arise. This way the dealer can not say or think I was crazy. or not doing something correctly. The video says it all

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Uconnect told me there is a dealer only update for the carplay issue. Took to dealership for update. Carplay worked.

DaPurrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-Torque
I had this issue and just resolved it. My USB would charge but not work with a USB stick or any phone cable combo I tried. I hard reset the radio. I pulled the fuses to the radio and USB hub. I disconnected the battery for a while. Nothing worked.

I just unbolted the center console and slid it back... unplugged the USB hub connectors (they were clipped in fine by the way!) and reconnected them. Plugged my USB cord into my phone and bam, CarPlay again. No idea why this worked and killing all power didnt, but it worked. Takes about 10 minutes. Worth a try...

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Uconnect told me there is a dealer only update for the carplay issue. Took to dealership for update. Carplay worked.
Do you know what they did or what update?

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I will try to find out for you. I called Uconnect and gave them the vin and asked for firmware updates. They contacted dealer and they took care of it. My Jeep is in with weird issues. The nav says 1.2 miles and turn right. The dash says turn right in 4029 mi. They are trying to figure it out now.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
just found this

Hello to our Ram Brand enthusiasts,

Our teams have heard your concerns and will be posting out periodically in an effort to provide you with new update releases and ask for feedback on how to better serve all of you. We appreciate your patience and feedback throughout the experience!

We're happy to share that as of this morning (December 9th, 2021), TSB 08-180-21 was released as an informational bulletin regarding the latest Flash Over The Air (FOTA) software update. Uconnect sends Firmware-Over-The-Air (FOTA) updates to vehicles equipped with built-in cellular modems within range of U.S. or Canadian cellular networks, in an effort to add new features or fix bugs. For your convenience, we've included a snippet of the TSB and the symptoms/conditions that it intends to address, below. *Please note the applicable vehicle build dates and sales codes.

TSB 08-180-21.png

TSB 08-180-21 SYMPTOMS.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock