Cars with beds making a Comeback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yep, it didn't work out so well that the Ranchero lasted for 23 model years (57-79) and the El Camino for 25 (59-60, 64-87), not including the GMC variant. Wildly unsuccessful lol.
Sorry, should have worded it different. Guess they didn't sell them enough to keep them ongoing. Just something I didn't see a lot of.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry, should have worded it different. Guess they didn't sell them enough to keep them ongoing. Just something I didn't see a lot of.
I think it was something that just didn't sell as well as it once did and it wasn't worth the cost to produce anymore. The Camino had a pretty good run though. At least they didn't screw up the marketing like Dodge did with the Magnum.... [emoji2361]

ChrisChen74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I'm actually quite interested in that new Hyundai Santa Cruz, I don't make a huge amount of money and the prices of both new and used trucks are just insane. If money was no object then I would probably get the largest and meanest truck out there but reality trumps day dreaming. And honestly if I look at what my specific needs are then that Santa Cruz fits the bill, I understand that buying a vehicle is an emotional thing for a lot of buyers and some people want what they want and that's great and I wish I was in that same situation. But financially this is something I MAY be able to own and it would be nice to actually buy a brand new vehicle that I can say I was the first owner, I haven't bought a brand new vehicle since 2000 and I do miss the new car experience.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is nothing wrong with buying what you need as opposed to what you want. I also don’t have any problem buying used and adding what makes it feel my own lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have never bought a vehicle I didn't want, I just don't want the most expensive things. I can always make it fill my needs as necessary! lol

Last edited:

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Heck I liked the El camino back in the day and would buy one as my wife loved it for they were good but if they got fuel injection and better mileage it would be a hit .

ChrisChen74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
There is nothing wrong with buying what you need as opposed to what you want. I also don’t have any problem buying used and adding what makes it feel my own lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol I had two used Rams so I have nothing against buying a used Ram it's just a the price you pay for what your getting, especially up here in Canada. Here's a listing I found for a truck that would interest me until I saw the price and mileage on it.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/ram/1500/hamilton/ontario/5_51084263_20181210155708960/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=pl&urp=5&urm=8&pc=N0B 1A0&sprx=100

Over $50,000+ for a truck with over 50,000km and getting close to being or already is out of warranty is too much IMHO. The sad part this is the norm up here in Canada. I think $25,000 is a lot of money but if you want a Ram, $25,000 get's you this in Canada.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/ram/1500/brantford/ontario/5_51174181_20180706125445739/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_15_976&pc=N0B 1A0&sprx=100

Just ridiculous, plus we have to pay 13% tax on top of that lol.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Here in my town, you can see several El Caminos on any Wednesday evening
They have the 327 & 350 engines & a few of them do have Fuel Injection
I would guess that 1 or 2 have Gear Vendor underdrive or overdrive transmission in them.
That company is here in town
https://www.gearvendors.com/hotrods.html

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting concept, the RAM 700, but not a 4dr. The video did say that it comes in a single cab.

The 4dr version just doesn't cut it, there's really no room in the bed for anything but groceries or a couple bags of potting soil or plants, same goes for the Hyundai or Subaru models, which Subaru has had a few, starting with the Brat ( which in my opinion, was a fun truck with 4WD).

Subaru resurrected the Brat as a 4dr Outback with a bed, and called it the Baja in 2003, which ran until 2006.

Now my favorite, El Camino's & Ranchero's. Definitely a niche market, but back in the 50's to 70's, before smog equipment, they were the rides to have. Ya, you wouldn't want to haul a pallet of bricks in them, but toss in a few hay bales and hook up a horse trailer, they were great around the ranch, or picking up some yeast, a 100lbs of corn, and some copper tubing, and head out to the woods, it's all you needed.

A friend of mine had a bone stock '68 El Camino with a straight six and a 3 speed, that got 35mpg, no smog equipment, let's see our stock Rams get that kind of mileage!

I still look through want ads, Hemmings, and Classic Car Trader looking for deals on El Camino's and Ranchero's.

I might have to make a border run to see one of them 700's, got my curiosity piqued.

Also interested in the concept cabover's that was in another thread.

Thanks for posting this up Jessica!

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'd still like to get my hands on a '60 El Camino with a 348, 4 speed with 3 deuces. A friend of my Dad, Robbie who was an old oil field mechanic, had one. I remember when my Brother-in-law bought his new '64 GTO, the first one in Fresno, CA. He challenged Robbie to a race with a rolling start from 30 mph. That old black El Camino ran off and hid from my Brother-in-law. My brother-in-law was quite humbled by the experience. Robbie and my Dad were laughing their butts off when we got back to house. (Each of them had a cold can of Coors in there hands when the got out of the El Camino.) Different times back then.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
S.U.T. Sport Utility Truck. Like the Honda. Not a real truck. A S.U.T.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another "car truck" announced today, the Ford Maverick.

Highlights are that it starts under $20K, the base engine is a 40mpg city hybrid that makes 190hp, all trims have 1500lb bed capacity, and the 250hp/275ftlb turbo optional AWD powertrain tows up to 4K lbs.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/maverick/model/customize/xl?gnav=vhpnav

Reminds me of a futuristic version of the 90s Chevy S10, except way more power, hybrid CVT instead of 5-speed manual, way more features, and double the around town fuel economy.