Cars with beds making a Comeback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found this one at my local dealership. They call the color "Carbonized Gray".
LOL.jpg

We're still working on a catchy new portmanteau for these "car trucks", and so far consensus seems to be "cucks".

Kidding aside, EPA numbers for the hybrid version are published finally, and 42mpg city on regular 87 is not bad for a little truck that actually isn't all that little (same length as a Ford Explorer):

2022 hybrid maverick mpg window sticker (1).jpg

Last edited:

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dunno - seems those things don't do anything well. Trying to be everything to everyone ends up being nothing to no one. It's why the Chevy El Camino was the only one for a while and was discontinued. Honda Ridgeline was also a fad that hipsters drove until they realized they had an expensive, nonfunctional ride that cost too much, just to project some kind of utilitarian image.

It's a free choice, but too expensive to screw up due to some image-mania. Buy what you want - not what someone else compliments you in.
Don't forget about the Ford Ranchero

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maverick orders "paused":

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/01/24/2022-ford-maverick-pickup-order/6634931001/

In the past, they'd have switched another factory to production.
Yup, so just an update on these, I actually tried to place an order for a Lariat Hybrid in January, but then found out they stopped taking orders. With some in the extended family having some mobility issues, we found that of all the pickups the Maverick in particular was the best on ingress/egress, and quite an improvement on my Ram that is doable but pretty tall even w/ my motorized step.

Regarding fuel economy, it looks like Ford didn't overpromise. Average on fuelly tracker right now is over 36mpg on 87 octane mixed driving, and particularly around town where aerodynamics don't matter too much the relatively light pickup is over-delivering even on the lofty EPA 42mpg rating, averaging in the 46mpg range:

Capture.JPG

Granted that's FWD only and 2K lbs tow capacity, but if you know anyone looking for something light duty but still has a bed and 4-pin trailer hitch it looks like a decent option.

The competitor mini-pickup the Hyundai Santa Cruz whether looking at the base four banger or turbo engine are doing about 24mpg for most people, so while not terrible isn't all that hot if looking for an economy commuter. Ingress/egress particularly in the rear due to the shape of the door also wasn't as easy as the boxy and slightly lower Maverick. Hyundai said they will eventually release the hybrid engine that's in the Tucson already on which the Santa Cruz is based, but no word on when. That one I'd wager would get low 30s mpg.

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently found that a customized version of the Fairmont Futura called Durango was made for a few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Durango

One with a 302 is preferable, though only available for '79; the straight 6 was under-powered, and the 255 V8 was an unreliable smog dog. Either of the latter two can be replaced with a 302.

Here's a somewhat long video of one of them being started and driven after years of sitting: