Carven Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarkWolfRedeemed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I'm new here and I just recently bought a 2017 Ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. I'm looking to replace the giant and quiet factory muffler, and came across the Carven exhausts on youtube. I absolutely love the sound on youtube, a deep but loud rumble without a lot of rasp or crackle (hopefully that's what it ends up being in person too). Specifically I'm looking at the TR or Progressive series (which seems to be the same thing just universal fit vs direct fit).

My local muffler shop says they can't order a Carven as they're on backorder and suggested I do a flowmaster 40 series. He said everyone gets that and loves it. Listening to those on youtube it sounds like it's more raspy but it's hard to really tell through a video. Anyone been able to compare these in person and have any thoughts? I'm still not sold on the flowmaster over the Carven, I still really want the Carven.

They said I could order the Carven muffler online and they'd install it, but if I go with the Carven I'm wondering which route I should go. The shop said they could install the TR for less than $100, so that's $100 for the muffler and $100 for the Y-pipe and labor for a total of $200 parts/labor. Is there any benefit to going for the $379 (plus install myself or pay for install) direct fit route with the Progressive over just letting the shop install the universal fit TR?

A second muffler shop tried to convince me to get a thrush muffler (I think it was the thrush turbo) and said he could do that for $150 parts+labor. There's not a whole lot of clips online of those, but what little I heard of them I don't think I'd like. Any thoughts?

For a little background and a little more info, my last car was an 09 4.6l mustang GT and it was straight piped (no muffler, only had cats, which I think were some sort of aftermarket high flow cats). I don't really wanna go louder than that. I don't mind a bit of drone, but I don't want a lot of raspiness, crackling, or popping. I just want a nice deep rumble with some volume to it. But not so much volume that it's obnoxious, if that makes sense. I'm open to other exhaust suggestions, I've watched just about every exhaust clip I can find on these trucks and online I like the Carven the best. If by chance anyone lives in the northeast TN area and has an exhaust I might be interested in and wouldn't mind letting me hear their exhausts, that'd be awesome too.

Thanks ahead of time for any help/info!

tl;dr
2017 Ram 1500 5.7l hemi:

Flowmaster 40 vs Carven tr/progressive?
Direct fit Carven Progressive for $379 + install vs universal fit Carven TR installed for $200 total parts/labor? Any benefit to the extra cost of the direct fit?
Is thrush any count?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want it close to the Mustang volume you had do the Competitor. That will be the closest. We have one in stock currently. If you would like a quote message me. It is an easy install, you can do it in your driveway with basic hand tools.

Not a fan of Flowmasters chambered design, they actually can be restrictive. Lots of people like their sound but from a performance stand point they do the opposite of what you want.

OP
OP
D

DarkWolfRedeemed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a big guy and my truck isn't lifted so I'd probably also need to grab some rhino ramps or something to be able to work on it comfortably. That's one reason I'm leaning towards grabbing the universal fit muffler and letting the muffler shop install it. But I wasn't sure if that'd be a bad idea compared to the direct fit. I mean, would a muffler shop's custom y-pipe and piping cause much of a change in the sound? Is it a bad idea to let a shop do cutting/welding as opposed to just bolting a new direct fit set in?

I went with the progressive series because I was afraid the competitor series might cross the threshold into obnoxious, but I could very well be wrong. It's so hard to tell online from just some sound/video clips.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That mostly depends on the shop doing the install. I will say the big advantage of doing a kit as opposed to a custom job is that the kit will be reversible. You will be able to easily go back to stock or to change to a different muffler kit if you choose too. The custom job will involve cutting and welding and will not be easily reversible with out more custom work.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Use the Carven direct fit, took all of 45 minutes to install. I'm running the Progressive in my 2018. Absolutely love it. Zero drone and a real nice growl when you get on it. I got mine from craid.com because Nick was out of stock and not orderable at the time. The Competition series is definitely louder but also reports of drone with it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have the Competitor series and no drone that I can say "damn that is annoying" ... Get the Competitor series, you won't regret it!

OP
OP
D

DarkWolfRedeemed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the competitor loud enough to annoy the neighbors? I was looking more at the progressive to hopefully be a bit quieter than the mustang while still having a good, deep rumble to it.

tzmndvl308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed the Carven Progressive on my truck. Great fit and quality. After a few months it got really loud. Almost the same as the muffler delete. Sounds great but it is always loud. Finally had to remove it. Also, it is really annoying when it is running in 4 cylinders. 2019 Ram 1500 Classic.

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had the progressive muffler and 5" tips for almost 3 years on my rebel. Initially, it was pretty loud and the mds drone was fairly noticeable. The tone tempered significantly after installing the s&b cai and the drone is essentially nonexistent. The sound is fantastic and i get compliments regularly. Highly recommend Carven, beautiful fit and finish

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Love my carven progressive. Watched plenty of vids. Love at first sound on 1st startup.

OP
OP
D

DarkWolfRedeemed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the input! I just ordered the Carven TR universal fit (basically the same as the progressive). It's supposed to be here next Wednesday, I'll post an update once I get it installed!

Way1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Borla X growls nicely on my hemi. Weighs about 10 lbs less as well

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I'm new here and I just recently bought a 2017 Ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. I'm looking to replace the giant and quiet factory muffler, and came across the Carven exhausts on youtube. I absolutely love the sound on youtube, a deep but loud rumble without a lot of rasp or crackle (hopefully that's what it ends up being in person too). Specifically I'm looking at the TR or Progressive series (which seems to be the same thing just universal fit vs direct fit).

My local muffler shop says they can't order a Carven as they're on backorder and suggested I do a flowmaster 40 series. He said everyone gets that and loves it. Listening to those on youtube it sounds like it's more raspy but it's hard to really tell through a video. Anyone been able to compare these in person and have any thoughts? I'm still not sold on the flowmaster over the Carven, I still really want the Carven.

They said I could order the Carven muffler online and they'd install it, but if I go with the Carven I'm wondering which route I should go. The shop said they could install the TR for less than $100, so that's $100 for the muffler and $100 for the Y-pipe and labor for a total of $200 parts/labor. Is there any benefit to going for the $379 (plus install myself or pay for install) direct fit route with the Progressive over just letting the shop install the universal fit TR?

A second muffler shop tried to convince me to get a thrush muffler (I think it was the thrush turbo) and said he could do that for $150 parts+labor. There's not a whole lot of clips online of those, but what little I heard of them I don't think I'd like. Any thoughts?

For a little background and a little more info, my last car was an 09 4.6l mustang GT and it was straight piped (no muffler, only had cats, which I think were some sort of aftermarket high flow cats). I don't really wanna go louder than that. I don't mind a bit of drone, but I don't want a lot of raspiness, crackling, or popping. I just want a nice deep rumble with some volume to it. But not so much volume that it's obnoxious, if that makes sense. I'm open to other exhaust suggestions, I've watched just about every exhaust clip I can find on these trucks and online I like the Carven the best. If by chance anyone lives in the northeast TN area and has an exhaust I might be interested in and wouldn't mind letting me hear their exhausts, that'd be awesome too.

tl;dr
2017 Ram 1500 5.7l hemi:

Direct fit Carven Progressive for $379 + install vs universal fit Carven TR installed for $200 total parts/labor? Any benefit to the extra cost of the direct fit?
Is thrush any count?

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had the progressive muffler and 5" tips for almost 3 years on my rebel. Initially, it was pretty loud and the mds drone was fairly

tl;dr
2017 Ram 1500 5.7l hemi:

Is thrush any count?
noticeable. The tone tempered significantly after installing the s&b cai and the drone is essentially nonexistent. The sound is fantastic and i get
Go with a Borla. No drone

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

tl;dr
2017 Ram 1500 5.7l hemi:

Is thrush any count?

sskoczen1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the part number for the Borla?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock