Cash out your RAM??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I needed a 2500 to pull a new 30' trailer. I started looking in my home state of Florida. Then Georgia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and finally the dealer in Durango, Colorado had a new one coming in within 2 weeks. Bought it, traded my 1500 for $42k with 43,000 miles and drove the 2500 back home to Florida! Love it and don't regret the sticker price with no discounts for $82k.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
This is maybe a tangent but the whole idea of a car shortage is sort of weird to me; everywhere I drive it seems like 1 in 5 suburban houses and maybe a third or more rural properties have got at least one car parked outside that's obviously not been driven in a long time and on its way to being reclaimed by Earth. A lot of them are "around the bend" and can't reasonably be restored but before they get to that point, especially out West and South where rust isn't really a factor - I bet there are 5 million or more cars sitting in peoples' yards that could be brought back to life in a weekend by somebody with a wrench and a willingness to buy some parts.

It would be easy to misinterpret this as hubris and I'm trying to say it with as little ego as possible. I know I'm probably a lot more experienced under the hood than most people, not counting those who do it occupationally. That's not meant to be a boast just a matter of growing up poor and not having another choice you either learn how to make old junk run or you wind up missing work too often and sleeping on cardboard. So I look at any unharvested, disused car as potential transportation and I want to bring them all home like abandoned puppies and make 'em go again. It seems like a real missed opportunity every time I see somebody let a perfectly repairable resource just rot into the ground.

It's not like an old 1990s computer or brick phone or other piece of technology that just can't be used in any practical capacity anymore - an old car is still valid transportation even if it's 20 or 30 or 40 years old and I know an awful lot of folks on here aren't inclined to care about the environment but you can't deny that whatever pollution and other industrial effects come from building a car was already spent building those so if you can get more use out of them that's a good thing.

I guess I'm just surprised that we even got to the stage of having a car shortage, we're drowning in cars if anyone would pick up a wrench and turn it.
I agree with a lot that you said. I can't tell you the times I've ask if a car was for sale to hear "No, I'm going to fix it some day" just to watch it as time goes by rot to the ground!

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
This is maybe a tangent but the whole idea of a car shortage is sort of weird to me; everywhere I drive it seems like 1 in 5 suburban houses and maybe a third or more rural properties have got at least one car parked outside that's obviously not been driven in a long time and on its way to being reclaimed by Earth. A lot of them are "around the bend" and can't reasonably be restored but before they get to that point, especially out West and South where rust isn't really a factor - I bet there are 5 million or more cars sitting in peoples' yards that could be brought back to life in a weekend by somebody with a wrench and a willingness to buy some parts.

It would be easy to misinterpret this as hubris and I'm trying to say it with as little ego as possible. I know I'm probably a lot more experienced under the hood than most people, not counting those who do it occupationally. That's not meant to be a boast just a matter of growing up poor and not having another choice you either learn how to make old junk run or you wind up missing work too often and sleeping on cardboard. So I look at any unharvested, disused car as potential transportation and I want to bring them all home like abandoned puppies and make 'em go again. It seems like a real missed opportunity every time I see somebody let a perfectly repairable resource just rot into the ground.

It's not like an old 1990s computer or brick phone or other piece of technology that just can't be used in any practical capacity anymore - an old car is still valid transportation even if it's 20 or 30 or 40 years old and I know an awful lot of folks on here aren't inclined to care about the environment but you can't deny that whatever pollution and other industrial effects come from building a car was already spent building those so if you can get more use out of them that's a good thing.

I guess I'm just surprised that we even got to the stage of having a car shortage, we're drowning in cars if anyone would pick up a wrench and turn it.
Most people today don't have the wrench, wouldn't know what to do with it if they did, and are too lazy to even think of such ****.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to edmunds.com and appraise your vehicle. At the end of the appraisal, you will get an offer from CarMax.
When my wife's lease ended on her Hyundai Tucson, I provided the offer to the dealership. They matched the offer and I walked away with a check for $8,950!! That's how desperate dealerships are for used inventory.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
This is maybe a tangent but the whole idea of a car shortage is sort of weird to me; everywhere I drive it seems like 1 in 5 suburban houses and maybe a third or more rural properties have got at least one car parked outside that's obviously not been driven in a long time and on its way to being reclaimed by Earth.

And cars go to the crusher every day. The issue is cars aren't fungible. A car that is undesirable to the market may as well not exist. You can have the market cornered on rust-free Geo Metros and you've got a big lot of nothing because the number of people who would consider driving one at any price is a rounding error away from zero. We do not have a transportation shortage, we have a mismatch of what's in the supply chain vs what's in demand.

Older *desirable* cars have sky rocketed as well.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And cars go to the crusher every day. The issue is cars aren't fungible. A car that is undesirable to the market may as well not exist. You can have the market cornered on rust-free Geo Metros and you've got a big lot of nothing because the number of people who would consider driving one at any price is a rounding error away from zero. We do not have a transportation shortage, we have a mismatch of what's in the supply chain vs what's in demand.

I agree with your sentiment but also beggars can't be choosers. If somebody needs transportation and then turns their nose up at an econo car maybe they can walk :birgits_tiredcoffee

Like every other issue we could be talking about there's nuance and layers but just like when Mom & Dad encouraged you to eat your vegetables because some kids don't get the privilege of eating dinner there are plenty of folks around the world for whom that undesirable car would change their life.

Also seems like even if the car is "undesirable", even sending it off to the crusher would be an improvement over letting it rot into the ground. This is probably another tangent on what already is a tangent but it's weird to see obviously impoverished people letting a car rot.. dude you could get a couple hundred bucks for it. If it's complete with all the glass and wheels, like just needs a transmission and a good cleaning you could probably get $500 for even the least desirable car these days

Last edited:

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I was given a $28,000 offer in cash for my 17 RAM 1500 BIG HORN 5.7. I have 100,000 miles on it. I have taken very good care of it and maintained by the book. I got in in OCt 2017 after the 2018 were out, I paid $36,000. for it. The problem for me is to get a new truck equipped like mine I am looking at more that $53,000., and maybe a at the most a $3,000. discount. So they may pay me more that I feel my truck is worth, but they are charging way too much for a new one.

I am holding on to my 17 as I like everything about it. I do not see trucks going down in price. Now that CJRD are going electric in the next two to four years I see no real reason to do anything now. With inflation who knows maybe in three years my 17 will be worth $40,000. And new ones will be beyond most working men and women's budget. I think the USA is in serious trouble. God bless you all.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"No, I'm going to fix it some day" just to watch it as time goes by rot to the ground!

One of my childhood friends' parents have a few interesting and a few less interesting cars just rotting for decades now. The two most unique ones are definitely around the bend by now, gophers and such built up their hills to the frame and once the frame is on damp soil it for a couple seasons it's done. I let their kids know any time they want me to haul away any of the restorable ones I'll come get it out of their way for 'em :cool:

Last edited:

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I can sell my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman dually for about 18k more than I paid for it. Problem is that I need at least a 2500 diesel for my 5th wheel camper. I liked my 2013 2500. thought were were going to buy another larger camper, so I bought the 3500 dually to be prepared. We just had our camper repaired and it is in great shape and ready to travel. Now the wife is desiring more motel oriented things. *sigh*

And I would still need another truck if I sell my 3500.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Before anyone who has a truck sells it, try to remember all the quick pickups you do with it that you probably don't think about because it's always been there. I understand the market is good now....but....

When you have to rely on others (ask others) to pick up things for you because you can no longer do it on your own, it's not a lot of fun.

You can go with an old truck but there are cons there also. The times in my past I sold my pickups because I didnt think I needed them or just having a utility trailer was "good enough " I've regretted it. Just my .02...

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Every vehicle I have, which are several, are worth more now than what I paid for them. Yes, the used market has had an affect (supply/demand), but the biggest factor outside of desirable models is the fact that they are kept in pristine condition...... including my Ram.

One day I can see a lifted 2500 Dually, just because its such a Badass looking truck, or certainly a Mammoth 1000 in the stable :waytogo:

srwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Have a 2001 2500 diesel 6 speed with a salvage title. "Totaled" it, about 5 years ago, windshield, hood, grill. left front fender, front bumper,some striping.

Have been told ,because it's a 6 speed, it's in high demand.....How high? Don't know.

UnionFitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently sold my 2008 2500 CTD SRW with 260k on original 68RFE for 20k. Even had an offer for over that if I was willing to hold onto it for an extra 2 weeks. Never would I have thought I’d get that much for it. Custom ordered a 2021 1500 Classic and haven’t looked back. Zero regrets. I don’t have the 5r anymore so the truck was more than I needed anyway.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Observations of dealers used vehicle lots here in North Texas reveal the same as other areas of the country. Most lots are skeletins of years prior to Covid except the Carmax lot. It is full, occupancy 100%. Apparently they're inventory purchasers were a step ahead of the independant dealers.....I wonder if there are bargains to be had at those lots?????? Right.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I've thought about taking mine back to the dealership just to see what kind of deal I could get on trade-in for an upgrade. I bought this last year new because Ram had a pretty amazing sale going on and it was cheaper to get a new one than buy a late model used. Anyway, I love my Ram but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a better interior trim package. The Tradesman is definitely bare bones. Leather with a center console and bigger display screen would be nice. However, it doesn't look like Ram offers the legacy crosshair grill any more and I really don't like the new designs. So, if I decided to trade I'd probably get a 150. Now is a great time to trade in used vehicles. It's crazy what they are going for now.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I made the jump and just after Christmas put an order in for a loaded 2022 GMC Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax. I know I can get North of 30K for my 2017 Ram and as a GM employee I get the GMC with my employee discount price. It's been a great truck but as a GM manager I do get a lot of grief for driving a non-GM vehicle and I do get tired of having to park out in the hourly workers lot when I visit plants driving a competitive vehicle. This is my first new GM vehicle since 2000 when I got my first Ram, but I was a Chrysler contractor then so it made sense for me.

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've also been thinking of selling my 2012 RAM. And now is a good time to do so. Replacing this truck isn't an issue as I have 2 project vehicles getting close to completion and the wife's suv if needed. But it is concerning to see empty vehicle sale lots and empty shelves in many stores.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've thought about taking mine back to the dealership just to see what kind of deal I could get on trade-in for an upgrade. I bought this last year new because Ram had a pretty amazing sale going on and it was cheaper to get a new one than buy a late model used. Anyway, I love my Ram but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a better interior trim package. The Tradesman is definitely bare bones. Leather with a center console and bigger display screen would be nice. However, it doesn't look like Ram offers the legacy crosshair grill any more and I really don't like the new designs. So, if I decided to trade I'd probably get a 150. Now is a great time to trade in used vehicles. It's crazy what they are going for now.
Fords are definitely nicer looking.