Cat back exhaust and fuel efficiency??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
Does a good cat back system help the fuel efficiency?? I have been looking into cat backs and some of the manufacturers say up to 2 mpg savings.... I realize it real world might not be that much but is there a notable difference??

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Normally, to maximize that additional air out, you gotta get some additional air in.

Pairing a cold air intake and a freer flowing exhaust can help improve engine efficiency.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You'd be very lucky to get 2 mpg from a custom tune, cold air intake, and exhaust all paired together. Likely wouldn't even see that much.

Those claims are all BS to incise you to buy.

That being said it was my first mod and I'm very happy with my exhaust. If I could do it over it would still be my first mod.

On a side note, just go for a muffler swap. Most exhaust companies use the same sized piping for their cat backs that Ram uses stock. There is 0 gain by going to a cat back rather than just swapping the muffler out.

Only reason I bought a cat back was that I could sell the stock exhaust to offset the cost of the fat back.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Think about this....Manufacturers of trucks try to balance power, fuel efficiency, and exhaust sound with cost when they build a truck. MPG is a big advertising subject of all manufactures. If it was that easy to give an additional 2mpg and they could do it cost effectively then it would be stock that way. Do not buy a CAT back system to get better mileage. In my experience you will get WORSE mileage.....because your foot will be on the pedal trying to listen to the sound of the exhaust......Get a CAT back system only if you are going to tune for more power or you want a different sound.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Think about this....Manufacturers of trucks try to balance power, fuel efficiency, and exhaust sound with cost when they build a truck. MPG is a big advertising subject of all manufactures. If it was that easy to give an additional 2mpg and they could do it cost effectively then it would be stock that way. Do not buy a CAT back system to get better mileage. In my experience you will get WORSE mileage.....because your foot will be on the pedal trying to listen to the sound of the exhaust......Get a CAT back system only if you are going to tune for more power or you want a different sound.

lol amen! :favorites13:

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have done an exhaust on about every single truck I have ever owned.. The truck i have now, I am actually leaving it stock for once lol, maybe im growing up?? haha I think the Hemi sounds pretty good stock. I like that it comes with 3'' stock - in my case. I am going to be welding on a nice black exhaust tip though, just for looks :)

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if it's mpg you want - you're better to get a MPG tune. They have them. Gas saver or gas miser something like that. Supposed to give you 2-3 mpg increase. Suspect the truck runs much slower with it though.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Catback is not much more than a overly priced muffler...A nice magnaflow 14" will do the same as a big $$ muffler tail pipe swap..Hopefully doin that to mine on friday when my new 16 sport is ready for pick up..

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
Thanks for all the input guys!! I think i will be leaving it stock till it falls of LOL

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From personal experience you'll lose mpg... You start stomping on the skinny pedal more often to enjoy that new exhaust!

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
I've never noticed a mpg increase from a catback (I've always done Magnaflow)