Catastrophic Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
There is really no correct answer to get extended warranty or not, everyone's individual situation is different, and there's good arguments for either decision. I see it in real simple terms, betting your new vehicle is going to break at some point, while the warranty company is betting against you that it's not

Agree. Legalized nationwide gambling.

I keep my rigs for 3-6 years. I think having an extended warranty is a good confidence booster in a potential buyer, so part of buying one for me is not only cover my ****, but to make my vehicle a little more desirable than the other guy's when it comes time to sell....

E-DAWG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I dont think anyone would expect any current production engine to die at 60K miles, regardless of someone's belief in extended warranties

I bought MaxCare Lifetime just because, but again I was not purchasing it expecting my 60K mile old engine to seize. I was more concerned with the transmission and electronics.

Is MaxCare something avail only to U.S. customers? Wouldn't mind looking into extended for my 15 which is about to turn 97k (60,200 mi). When did you have to buy that warranty and how much would that have cost? Lifetime warranty sounds like a fortune especally if you have to pay dealers prices for dealer servicing? Thanks for the input in advance

E-DAWG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I agree with you about not expecting the engine to go out at 60 k but anything man made regardless of what it is can and will break. I'm not made by man but I carry insurance in case of a breakdown such as my gallbladder going out unexpectedly a couple of years back. I was covered and it didn't cost me a penny. I bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 last year and I also have a lifetime unlimited mileage extended warranty on the truck. I'm not worried about any breakdowns, I may or may not ever need it but if I do it's there.

Lifetime Unlimited Mileage Warranty I've never heard of here in Canada and I can't imagine how much that would cost? U.S. customers seem to get much better prices on Ext warranty from what I've read . Ext warranties for anything are a gamble, they def by you piece of mind. How much does Lifetime cost?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MaxCare Lifetime is no longer offered in the US. I dont think it was ever offered in Canada.

I paid about $2600 for MaxCare Lifetime in early 2018 for my 2017 Big Horn.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MaxCare Lifetime is no longer offered in the US. I dont think it was ever offered in Canada.

I paid about $2600 for MaxCare Lifetime in early 2018 for my 2017 Big Horn.
Same here. Lifetime unlimited mileage on my 17 bought early 18 paid about the same

OP
OP
Whiteramsmatter

Whiteramsmatter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gentleman and ladies, and yes I assumed your collective genders... I do apologise for the late reply, but I have news as to what happened to the truck and why I had a sudden a silent failure of the engine. About 2 years ago I hit do debris on the highway that punched a grapefruit sized hole in the transmission pan. The transmission was replaced by the dealership that has done most of the service on the truck. The tech that replaced the transmission for an unknown reason left a bolt like you would find in Home Depot inside the bell housing to bounce around. For whatever reason, it bounced just right to wedge between the flex plate and the top of the bell housing, thus stopping the truck immediately. It took having the cab removed from the frame and the engine pulled before it was found. Everything has been put together, I have the whole story from the dealership signed and dated I might add, truck returned and on the road, all at zero cost to myself because it was a dealership screw up. Yes, before you ask, the tech that did this was fired from the dealership long before this came up. If he was still there the service manager would have fired him for this issue. Thanks for everyone's useful information and input on the matter. Again, sorry for the month long delay for an update, this is how long it took to get my truck back.

IMG_20200125_131628_01.jpg

martineznc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the win!

Just out curiosity, did they offer you any more warranty coverage or anything as a sorry for the inconvenience?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the win!

Just out curiosity, did they offer you any more warranty coverage or anything as a sorry for the inconvenience?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No charge for the extra bolt....duh!

Usual Suspect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Glad you got it back and going!

Just an FYI for people considering extended warranty coverage, if you use Geico insurance they offer mechanical/drivetrain breakdown coverage also. I keep it on the wife's Fusion because she ran it out of factory warranty so quickly. (96K mi. in 2 yrs.) It's $25 every 6 mo. and has a $500 deductible IIRC.

spudman1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 echodiesel
Another one bites the dust this week. 2014 ecodiesel 135k catastrophic engine failure driving down the highway lower crankcase self destruction. Ram appears to be s a worthless parter in this. Quoted $17k-$20k for a new engine out of pocket. Is there any confidence this replacement motor will last to 50k? Should I just haul it to the dump and buy a new gas truck for $80k with no trade value?.....frustrated!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You got 135,000 miles. I know more is expected but sometimes things don’t go well. Ram is not your parents ,your on your own now. Shop other then dealerships for this repair . An independent shop should be able to do much better then that.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another one bites the dust this week. 2014 ecodiesel 135k catastrophic engine failure driving down the highway lower crankcase self destruction. Ram appears to be s a worthless parter in this. Quoted $17k-$20k for a new engine out of pocket. Is there any confidence this replacement motor will last to 50k? Should I just haul it to the dump and buy a new gas truck for $80k with no trade value?.....frustrated!
I have said this from day one eco diesels are trash one of the worst things ram ever made I see them on marketplace blown up all the time for 7k. I would try to find a used motor throw it in and sell it asap stay away from the dealer for replacement engine. Get a 5.7 or a cummins on your next truck will last way longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio