Catch Can Drain Valve Open While Driving...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Got in to work this morning and noticed a hissing sound coming from the engine bay. Popped the hood and seen the drain valve for my catch can had been open the entire drive to work.
Probably ~25 miles of driving, mostly highway speeds of 60mph. I never lost any oil pressure because I watch the tach like im waiting for a bomb to explode. Nothing changed as far as how the engine operates normally. We have two cats that live outside and one of them must have climbed inside the engine bay and stepped on the ball valve handle. Now, ill be checking under my hood every morning before work.

What are the problems this could cause? If any... I would think a loss of oil pressure maybe, but really dont know.

And it was noticeably loud, even at idle rpm. I bet it sounds like a turbo spooling up under higher rpms.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Won't really hurt short term like that. It is basically just a vaccum leak since one side of the can is pulling crank pressure and the other is going into the intake manifold.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not related to any oil feed. It just cause a vacuum leak which is drawing to much air into the engine. It must not have been to excessive because it didn’t throw any codes or cause the engine to act up.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The catch can inlet hose has both oil & dirty air passing through it
If it is working correctly, only the dirty air enters the outlet hose

img0203x.jpg

img0202h.jpg
This is the oil it caught between oil changes
That oil would have gone into the fuel system & coated the whole intake & the top of the pistons with half burned carbon

catchcan7600miles.jpg