Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is this used for ? Only thing I can think is that it’s so oil doesn’t drip on your driveway !

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may have to look into this...

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone have any real world info/data on these. I understand them, I think they can be very useful in high RPM like racing applications. However, for the basic street truck with no engine mods does it make any real difference in the long run.
Again I understand it catches mist oils and condensate that get feed back to the motor to be burned off vs the old days of dumping it to the atmosphere. I also have 1st hand knowledge of what an old tune port injection intake can look like after 100K and the gunk and junk plastered over its insides. Has anyone run one from new or near new and then either pulled the intake or bore scoped it and the runners?
If so can you post pics. If no pics can you describe how much build up or how clean it was in comparison to an engine not running one?

I like the idea. But 2 issues particularly being I have a brand new truck. 1 the install process / fight to get it installed cleanly and accessible. 2 the maintenance aspect (yes call it lazy but I'm spending how much on a new truck?), I take my new cars (under warranty) to the dealers for oil and service so that I do not have to deal with any "service performed" issue should I need major warranty work, i.e. my wife blows the belt off the motor and cooks the engine...... the last dealer service report would show they inspected it so it's on them and they own it (maybe not really but that's the direction I would take it or similar issue).

So how often do you "HAVE TOO" check and empty these on a normal engine. Is there an overflow or release mechanism if it should be come to full? How do you stop the possibility of an overfilled can discharging a "slug" of "can juice" in to the motor?

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If all new trucks came with them as OEM, I wonder if someone would offer a "catch can bypass" that allowed you to get rid of the catch can and dumped everything into the intake manifold and "recycled" everything. No more dumping the can! No more oily mess to get rid of!

UPRjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If all new trucks came with them as OEM, I wonder if someone would offer a "catch can bypass" that allowed you to get rid of the catch can and dumped everything into the intake manifold and "recycled" everything. No more dumping the can! No more oily mess to get rid of!

Just want to share this really quick about the reason for the catch can and why it's so beneficial to run one to get the real world benefits.

All modern engines keep working on improving performance and mpg and the easiest way for the manufacturer to do it with the cost is to route the PCV hose to the highest vacuum location on the intake manifold. The location where they tap in is thought out and not just a simple location to access. As they have to be sure they a strong section of the air stream that provides a lot of vacuum. With that being said the more they continually increase the vacuum source of the PCV the more oil the engine will ingest as the PCv starts to work like a small vacuum pump.

The reason they increase vacuum as much as possible is to provide the best vacuum and scavenging to the short block / crankcase. The benefits increase as the vacuum sources get stronger and stronger and we see improved ring seal and eliminate positive pressure in the crankcase and this means a lot as the piston fires you want to have a vacuum in the crankcase as any positive pressure will fight the pistons on the down stroke and generate heat and decrease efficiency across the board.

When people say a catch can will improve mpg and overall performance that is 100% TRUE and it's because the catch can is eliminating the oil from being ingested into the combustion chambers and allowing the combustion chamber to have much cleaner purer fuel and this is something that will benefit any vehicle not just trucks or performance vehicles. As we see many 4 and 6 cylinders increase 1 to 2 mpg with the addition of a catch can and sometimes more if the engine burns a lot of oil.

The reasons manufacturers do not offer them is because most people are to lazy to change the oil let alone service any additional things on a vehicle. I always make a very important point about the longevity is greatly increased and the performance at 100K will be very similar to when the engine is new because it has not been using as a oil burner from all the oil and trash that gets ingested through the PCV system and then pollutes the intake upper and lower depending on where the vacuum is tapped into. Then the valves and combustion chamber and exit the exhaust.

I like to help with info for all thee enthusiasts out there so they can make educated decisions from learning why a catch can is beneficial. Then there is still the next thing about a catch can is how efficient the internal design is and how much oil it actually stops vs. how much gets sucked right through the catch can. We had to design a separate internal diffuser in our catch can as the cans with the flat screens do allow a lot of oil to be sucked through them. The moroso and other designs that have a flat screen in the top of the catch can are very poor performers and we used to offer this 10yrs. ago and still got a lot of oil in the intake and combustion chambers and it took time to discover this.

Just for a quick reference on how much oil gets sucked through a catch can with a standard flat screen design, we see on average about 40%-50% gets captured and the rest gets sucked right through the catch can into the engine. The tests are always done in the same exact distances between oil changes. Oil changes are generally 3000 miles for catch can comparisons.

Once we designed a multi stage diffuser that did not allow the oil to get sucks across the flat screen we started to see a noticeable improvement and the can filled up a lot faster as it was capturing more oil in the same time frame. Our catch cans are now only available with the multi stage internal diffuser and we have even designed a replacement multi stage diffuser for the Billet Technology Catch Cans that greatly improve it's ability to capture more oil and this equals better performance and mpg.

I am not here to start any flames or bash any products and only to share information and support our fellow enthusiasts experience.

Hope this sheds a bit of light on the PCV function and catch can benefits.

Have a great day, Joe

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just want to share this really quick about the reason for the catch can and why it's so beneficial to run one to get the real world benefits.

Joe
Joe -
So how often are you needing to empty these cans now?
What safety feature is there in place to assure that a can does not overfill and cause a large (possibly damaging) amount of oil and contaminates to be ingested suddenly?
Does the can, for safety reasons, decrease efficiency once it it exceeds a certain level of fluid, i.e. an overfilled bypass effect?
As I said in my post I understand them and their benefits, I just wanted to real world feedback as well as a better understanding of the "required maintenance" and risk that failure to maintain that level of maintenance poses.
Also can you provide a quote for one for a 2019 Classic 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi?

UPRjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Joe -
So how often are you needing to empty these cans now?
What safety feature is there in place to assure that a can does not overfill and cause a large (possibly damaging) amount of oil and contaminates to be ingested suddenly?
Does the can, for safety reasons, decrease efficiency once it it exceeds a certain level of fluid, i.e. an overfilled bypass effect?
As I said in my post I understand them and their benefits, I just wanted to real world feedback as well as a better understanding of the "required maintenance" and risk that failure to maintain that level of maintenance poses.
Also can you provide a quote for one for a 2019 Classic 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi?

I'm glad you asked these questions as they are great for everyone to know.

1. How often do you need to empty a catch can?

Answer: Normally you empty it between oil changes unless your engine passes more than
5oz. of oil through it between oil changes. Normally you will see 2oz. to 3oz. of oil collected.

2. What happens if I forget to maintain my catch can and the oil level over fills?

Answer: The oil level will fill to the top and then it will slowly ingest a very small amount of oil
in a solid fluid that works like a slow leak and it will not harm anything. Once a can overfills it
will not suck in a large amount of oil suddenly as the air will always follow the path of least
resistance.

We have tested overfilling catch cans on both the 5.7, 6.2, and 6.4 engine and on a few ram
trucks and a several chargers from stock to supercharged. One of the trucks we ran the can
for 30,000 miles without emptying it. It still proved to be better than running without as it
forced the oil to collect and coalesce in the can and then it was drawn into the intake slowly.

Why its better to allow the oil to coalesce first is because its not in a mist or vapor that can
travel much faster and further through the system. With a overfull catch can the oil is very
controlled and usually just puddles before entering the intake as the air passes over it and
cannot ingest any big volume of oil unless the can was upside down and then your truck has
much bigger problems than oil ingestion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have so many catch cans out there it was easy to test and gather feedback for all the info
we've collected over the years. Hope this helps a bit more as we have seen it all and share our
findings.

You can follow the ebay link earlier in the post from the forum member that shared this info
about our catch cans.

UPR is not an advertiser on here and just wanted to shed some light on the questions in this
post and respect the forum rules and just wanted to share UPRproducts knowledge. You can
PM me any questions so we do not step on any paid advertiser's toes.

Thank you, Joe

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
UPRJoe, have you encountered any extreme cold climate issues with the accumulation freezing causing residual effects?

UPRjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
During the winter its recommended to drain the car daily as condensation will build up in the catch can. We also offer very nice drain line kits for our catch can systems that make draining the catch can very simple and painless. Normally the catch cans mounted on the engine run hot enough that they always force condensation to evaporate and don't encounter any real condensation issues in the cold.

The catch cans that are mounted remotely away from the engine are ones that can fill up fast in cold conditions from condensation and freeze. That is the main reason we recommend all catch cans get drained daily in the winter. You really don't see issues with these kits as they are all engine mounted and get very hot. Oil in the can in freezing weather is never a problem.

Joe

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info @UPRjoe .

For all those interested if you do not get UPR products straight from UPR please feel free to contact us with any questions or quote requests as we are an Authorized dealer for UPR. We have sold many of these high quality catch cans here to RAM owners and they have all had great results. I personally run a UPR catch can on my Mustang and absolutely love it. It gets the job done, looks great, and fitment is perfect.

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am debating installing one on my ‘19 PW, is there any available that are known to work on the 6.4 that’s in the 2019 PW

UPRjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Great info @UPRjoe .

For all those interested if you do not get UPR products straight from UPR please feel free to contact us with any questions or quote requests as we are an Authorized dealer for UPR. We have sold many of these high quality catch cans here to RAM owners and they have all had great results. I personally run a UPR catch can on my Mustang and absolutely love it. It gets the job done, looks great, and fitment is perfect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to ask me any questions and hit up Nick@GotExhaust for any purchases on whatever
the final product you decide to go with. For any standard or custom application catch can systems
we can be sure that Nick gets you the best setup available.

Thank you, Joe

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to ask me any questions and hit up Nick@GotExhaust for any purchases on whatever
the final product you decide to go with. For any standard or custom application catch can systems
we can be sure that Nick gets you the best setup available.

Thank you, Joe

Thanks Joe! Its been a pleasure working with you, Bryan, and the rest of the UPR team! We proudly offer your product as you guys always make sure you put out a high quality and high performing parts!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am debating installing one on my ‘19 PW, is there any available that are known to work on the 6.4 that’s in the 2019 PW

The 6.4 has an internal PCV set up. I dont know of any available for the 6.4 yet.

@UPRjoe have you guys looked into the RAM 6.4 yet?

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
My last 3.6 truck went 9-10k between oil changes, and the oil was still full at the change. If it was blowing by that much oil, it would be at least a quart low.
If I can get a 2 mpg increase guarantee, I might consider it.
My new truck is a former rental unit from SoCal, so I might be surprised at how much oil it uses compared to the 13 I bought new.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil gets contaminated with condensation and possibly even fuel. you are without a doubt sending oil thru the PCV system. look inside your throttle body. I would put money on it that it has traces of oil on it.

Not saying its NEEDED, but many will recommend it.