Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djnelson5460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed one made by UPR Products on my ‘18 1500 5.7, and it pulls almost 1/3 quart of oil out of the PVC system during my 5000 mile OCI. I empty it every 1000 miles and the can is half full. They work, even on non-boosted/DI engines, all that would go through the intake and be burnt every 5000 miles. I did recently switch back to Pennziol Platinum now that I cant get Amazon Basics 5w-20 anymore, so Ill see if it collects less oil.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
I mounted a CC on my 97 5.9 about a year ago. Mounted it on the inner fender in the engine bay. I get about a tablespoon of oil about every 500 miles in the can. one big benefit is it helps keep the intake and throttle body cleaner since the oil mist never enters the intake.
@Bill Blackmon for our port-injected Ram 1500s, I think this is the main reason to install a catch can. I don't doubt that the Hemi running at operating temperatures can burn that stuff up, and I think the gasoline spray would keep everything downstream clean enough. It's everything upstream of the injectors and downstream of the PCV inlet that I'm worried about. Even then, I bet it isn't terrible, but for OCD folks (me), or those seeking maximal engine life/efficiency (also me), I can see it being beneficial. I'm probably going to get one soon.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I an wondering why you need a catch can on a engine that does not have a turbo or direct induction
It's not a matter of need. It's a matter of wanting to keep my intake system cleaner. It'll run just fine without one, but I plan to keep this truck for a long time and want to make sure I do everything I can to prolong engine life. What's a one time purchase of a couple hundred bucks on a truck that cost $75k.

WhoKnows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I bought one from SpeedLogix for my 2020 Charger Scat and was amazed at how much oil it collects. Since my 2018 2500 had the same engine it only made sense to buy another.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh, I never put on a catch can. Just didn't feel the need. Some people say it is needed, some articles and videos say it isn't. Mopar didn't include one. Just seems like a cool thing that guys who mod like to do. Sure you see a little bit in a little can but things I've read on the engine design, they have that covered.

Got 116K on my 2007 and it actually runs great.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh, I never put on a catch can. Just didn't feel the need. Some people say it is needed, some articles and videos say it isn't. Mopar didn't include one. Just seems like a cool thing that guys who mod like to do. Sure you see a little bit in a little can but things I've read on the engine design, they have that covered.

Got 116K on my 2007 and it actually runs great.
What, “things I’ve read on the engine design “ are those that have it “covered”? Nothing in the design catches the oil before entering the intake, nothing. Maybe I missed something on my truck or the design of it catching and stopping the oil from entering the intake. Please let us know what those are. Thank you.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What, “things I’ve read on the engine design “ are those that have it “covered”? Nothing in the design catches the oil before entering the intake, nothing. Maybe I missed something on my truck or the design of it catching and stopping the oil from entering the intake. Please let us know what those are. Thank you.
Try searching yourself if you feel you need one. Plenty of talk on it on YouTube. I happen to come across a couple things but since I don't want one, I didn't save it.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try searching yourself if you feel you need one. Plenty of talk on it on YouTube. I happen to come across a couple things but since I don't want one, I didn't save it.
Lol! That’s not how it works bro. You made the statement, post up some factual articles backing it. Youtube, lol! You know why it’s even designed the way it is? Hint, it wasn’t chrystlers idea….

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol! That’s not how it works bro. You made the statement, post up some factual articles backing it. Youtube, lol! You know why it’s even designed the way it is? Hint, it wasn’t chrystlers idea….

Ill start by saying that Hemi engines arent direct injection engines, they are port injection engines ...in case you didnt know that, and a catch can IS recommended for direct injection engines. Look that up if you arent sure how it works. Just saying there is proof out there saying otherwise. I dont knock anyone who wants one or thinks they ned one, just saying plenty out there says it isnt really neccesssary.

However, if you want an engineer to tell you this. go to 2:34 of this video so you can hear him say that (for one small example).

There are also other Mopar forums stating this. There are plenty of discussion in here alone. But hey....buy what you want. Not hard to find and ive done my research and why i opted not to get a catch can and havent any problems to my Ram for 15 years. It actually runs so good, i feel i need to knock on wood when i say that.

https://youtu.be/T-B4VRxAtbw

Last edited:

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill start by saying that Hemi engines arent direct injection engines, they are port injection engines ...in case you didnt know that, and a catch can IS recommended for direct injection engines. Look that up if you arent sure how it works. Just saying there is proof out there saying otherwise. I dont knock anyone who wants one or thinks they ned one, just saying plenty out there says it isnt really neccesssary.

However, if you want an engineer to tell you this. go to 2:34 of this video so you can hear him say that (for one small example).

There are also other Mopar forums stating this. There are plenty of discussion in here alone. But hey....buy what you want. Not hard to find and ive done my research and why i opted not to get a catch can and havent any problems to my Ram for 15 years. It actually runs so good, i feel i need to knock on wood when i say that.

Where did I say anything about the fuel delivery system and not understanding how the hemi gets its fuel? Hint, I didn’t, know very well the difference in what you are talking about for fuel delivery. So bizarre. Still didn’t address my question. Then you post a video about a VW motor. Done talking with you. Enjoy your fiday. Yeesh.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did I say anything about the fuel delivery system and not understanding how the hemi gets its fuel? Hint, I didn’t, know very well the difference in what you are talking about for fuel delivery. So bizarre. Still didn’t address my question. Then you post a video about a VW motor. Done talking with you. Enjoy your fiday. Yeesh.
I did not say you didnt know anything about a fuel system, i specifically said "in case you dont know". I dont know what you know. If you have spent time on forums, you very well know some guys don't know much more than putting gas in it so I don't assume anything. Why be offended by that lol. I don't know you.

And since you do know about the fuel systems, then you also know it isn't necessary, but it certainly don't hurt.

I addressed your question you just want to be difficult with the little piddly details and im not fallling for that. You probably seen them already.

And if you had any common sense, you know that video isnt about it being a VW engine. I gave you a specific time to go to and since you do know about the fuel system, he said exactly what i said to you and the engineer comfirmed it. Play dumb all you want. IDC. So bizarre.

Buy a catch can or not....IDC. All i said is i dont feel i need one and why. Accept that or not, again...IDC.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Last time i checked the 6.2's are still "Hemi" engines,and they come factory equipped with air/oil seperators aka a catch can.Check out the valve covers on a 6.2 Hemi.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

It seems like you didn't read anything posted on the first three pages of this thread. No one has said it is necessary to put a CC on these Hemi port injection engines. Those who have stated their reasons for having one have said that they just want to keep the entire intake system cleaner. This thread was created for a specific question, which has been answered. Why are you looking for a fight?

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
And if you had any common sense

Hmmm, less dirty valves VS dirtier valves... Think I'll take the cleaner valves. I do agree port injection does clean the valves, but not totally. Having the can is subjective to who wants it. To fight about it is futile. Myself, I want a cleaner motor. I say if you don't like the channel, change the station. ;)

Best regards,

-Mike

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like you didn't read anything posted on the first three pages of this thread. No one has said it is necessary to put a CC on these Hemi port injection engines. Those who have stated their reasons for having one have said that they just want to keep the entire intake system cleaner. This thread was created for a specific question, which has been answered. Why are you looking for a fight?
Im not looking for a fight at all. I never said nobody should get one.

I just said for me I didn't feel I needed one based on things I've read and watched and somebody called me out for that and asked me to post things that said they weren't needed.
I have a 5.7 Hemi in both my Mopar.
Then when he didn't like my answer, twisted it around by saying I said things I didnt say. That isn't me starting a fight but I will respond to accusations.

Last edited: