CB installs in 4th gen equipped with center consoles. How did ya do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What radios did you end up using? I have a cobra classic 29LTD but it's a big unit. I thought about the passenger side of the console, but on the off chance I have to have someone ride shotgun, it would be quite a pain in the ass for them.

Also, how did you run your antenna, and where to? I already have dual bander ham radio installed and I'm using a fender mount antenna that I ran through the clutch blockoff. I could drill it out some more and route it through, if need be, but I am still looking at options.

Show me what ya got.

BadCJ7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not real concerned with having high power and long distance with mine. A mile or 2 is good so I went with the Tram window mount antenna for mine. Looks like an old cell phone antenna. I have the split bench so I mounted my Uniden PC68 to the front of the center seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Below my scanner mount build on my old 2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax. It should give you plenty of ideas.

I was originally planning on using a Havis faceplate / radio mount but they seemed to be sold out everywhere and I wasn’t willing to wait several weeks. A local car audio place and they wanted $250. Needless to say I did it myself, for roughly $29 in parts.

The center console has ample of room. I decided to get rid of the cup holders and build my radio scanner into this slot. I never drink anything other than bottled water in my cars / trucks and for that I still have the cup holder in the door panel.

Here's what you will need for a comparable build:

Parts:
- 12" x 12" sheet metal, bought at HomeDepot ($10)
- 12" x 12" textured ABS sheet, bought on Amazon ($10)
- L shaped angle Aluminum, bought at HomeDepot ($4)
- Gorilla epoxy, bought at HomeDepot ($5)
- Set of screws, washer, nuts, bought at HomeDepot

Tools:
- Jig saw and a fine blade for metal
- Power drill and drill bits
- 80 grit sandpaper and sanding block
- Dremel and large metal cutting wheel
- Ruler, pencil, marker

First I removed the entire center console from my truck. It is much nicer and easier to work inside than having to deal with Florida's heat and humidity.

I cut a metal sheet to the outer dimensions of the space in the console and drew the cutout for my scanner on it. This will be a H-cut and the inner panels will be bend down in order to function as the brackets for the scanner.

I used a Dremel with larger metal cutting wheel to do the initial 3 cuts and finished them with a jigsaw. I also installed a piece of L shaped Angle Aluminum in help keep the entire mount in place inside the cup holder space. The 2 screws are countersunk and sanded to provide a level surface for the ABS plate.

Next I cut the ABS sheet to the same dimensions of the metal sheet.

The ABS cut-out for the scanner is about 1/16” smaller to prevent the metal sheet from scratching up the scanner.

Next step is to prepare both the metal and the ABS sheet for the 2 component epoxy glue. I used 80 grit sandpaper.

Gorilla epoxy needs to be mixed for 20 seconds, can be applied and adjusted for about 5 minutes, and needs 24 hours to completely cure. I put some weight on it to keep it straight because epoxy gets hot and can deform plastic.

I had to drill 2 holes in the side panels for the scanner to be held in place with the OEM mounting screws that came with my Uniden scanner. Scanner installed:

Center console goes back into the truck with the mount / faceplate installed. It is held in place by gravity and doesn’t move at all, not even under hard braking or on a bumpy road. No cuts or drilling in the center console were needed. I can put everything back to stock within minutes.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Below my scanner mount build on my old 2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax. It should give you plenty of ideas.

I was originally planning on using a Havis faceplate / radio mount but they seemed to be sold out everywhere and I wasn’t willing to wait several weeks. A local car audio place and they wanted $250. Needless to say I did it myself, for roughly $29 in parts.

The center console has ample of room. I decided to get rid of the cup holders and build my radio scanner into this slot. I never drink anything other than bottled water in my cars / trucks and for that I still have the cup holder in the door panel.

Here's what you will need for a comparable build:

<snip>

WOW! That is some seriously nice work!

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have the Cobra.. 75-something... CB radio in a handset... Plugs into a power/antenna interface and then I use one of the glass-mount antennas. I have HAM radio if I need distance, CB is just for talking a couple of miles up and down the road.

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pics of your ham radio setup!!
Yaesu FTM 400 under the seat, with head and remote speaker on top of the radio bezel. Mic extension is in the deep center console and the mic just sits in there until I find the nerve to drill holes for the clip. Fender mount for the antenna with the antenna cable and power routed through the clutch blank on the firewall, then under the center console to the radio. 4cf1c54a7213cf5e43232c773b0787f5.jpg04fe59398f29d6123c8a0fa18893b904.jpg1baede7062ee85a678cdac3f323e21d9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Antenna on bed... Breedlove antenna mount... ran the cable through the cab air exhaust vent and under the carpet to the center console...

Getting EMS / FIRE / PD from my entire county plus every surrounding county.

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/so-239-mounts.html

DSC00854-2.jpg

I seriously looked into a breedlove mount when I was considering an HF radio and antenna but stuck with a cheaper option for the VHF antenna. Reconsidering a breedlove to get rid of the fender mount, and I guess now looking at getting two- one for the VHF and one for CB.

@crockett nice work, but I really don't want to give up console space. That's the main struggle I'm having- find a place for the CB, and still keep my console open. I'm asctually considering fabricating a mounting panel to put center dash, behind my VHF head unit, that I can velcro down so as to not drill holes.

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
I seriously looked into a breedlove mount when I was considering an HF radio and antenna but stuck with a cheaper option for the VHF antenna. Reconsidering a breedlove to get rid of the fender mount, and I guess now looking at getting two- one for the VHF and one for CB.

@crockett nice work, but I really don't want to give up console space. That's the main struggle I'm having- find a place for the CB, and still keep my console open. I'm asctually considering fabricating a mounting panel to put center dash, behind my VHF head unit, that I can velcro down so as to not drill holes.

The small $50 19DXIV should easily fit in that small center console pocket.

https://www.cobra.com/products/19dxiv

You would keep the cup holders and the large bin in the center console.

Image2.png

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Holy ****, I never thought of popping that out and using it. The only drawback is the same issue I had with my VHF- the speaker is on the bottom. Hmmm...

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Holy ****, I never thought of popping that out and using it. The only drawback is the same issue I had with my VHF- the speaker is on the bottom. Hmmm...

It comes with a 3.5mm jack for an external speaker on the backside.

Image1.png

Your truck should have an AUX in jack somewhere, most likely in the armrest compartment. The sound will come through all speakers as soon as you turn your head unit to AUX. All you need is a 3.5 mm male to male cable. That's what I'm using.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Auxiliary-Headphones-iPhones/dp/B00R124LAK/

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque
I have been looking to install a cb in mine as well. I saw a lot of Jeep owners using this one due to the lack of places to mount in Jeeps:

https://www.cobra.com/products/c75wxst

It still has a power unit that can be mounted under the seat and you can get the audio jack to mount an external speaker. Here’s a good overview of the unit:

2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
N-Fab Epyx Bars
Bak Revolver X2
Pro-tech bed liner

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
What year is your truck, and do you know if the stake pocket size is different between truck years?

I used the same mount on my 2017 GMC Sierra 2500 and now on my 2018 RAM 1500. They should be all the same size these days. I had to trim the plastic cover a little bit on both trucks, but the hole in the metal of the box didn't need any work at all.

Panhandle461

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo Diesel
Tagged for info