CB mic mount assistance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grogu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hey there. New member and first post. My apologies if I screw up and post this in the wrong sub-forum or something.

Have a 2020 'Classic' Warlock crew cab. Got the basic V6 lease truck, since I'm here "stateside" for the next couple years before I'll be deploying back overseas. I mention that for context, because the point here is that I don't want to drill any holes in the dashboard plastic.

I mounted a CB by making an L-shaped wood bracket that wedges under the front seat. I'd like to mount the mic on the dash in a no-drill way.

What I'd really like to do is find a source for some hard foam or soft rubber (matching gray ideally) that I could cut to wedge in this relatively useless hole on the right side of the center console. Then I could drill into that.

Many years ago I had some 4" cube blocks of a slightly pliable but very dense foam with a notch cut out on one side. They were made to slip on bicycle frames so bikes wouldn't bang up against each other on a car rack and scratch the paint. They're long gone, but I wish I could find a material like that. I've looked around Home Depot, online sources, even craft stores.

I guess I should have titled the thread, "Help me find the right rubber." But I prolly haven't been here long enough to say stuff like that.

Also, any other mic-mounting ideas are welcome.

Thanks

IMG_0119.jpeg

OP
OP
Grogu

Grogu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I'll also add something as I look at that photo. I haven't messed around with the dash plastic to see if that dark gray portion photographed pops out separately. If it does, I'd also be interested in finding a good cheap source for a replacement part. Then I can just buy a spare, pop it in, drill it, and put the original back in a few years when done.

thanks

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Maybe find a piece of of 3/32'nd plastic and form it in to a "square U" shape the width and height of the cubby, slip it into that little cubby hole and then screw the mic bracket into it.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll also add something as I look at that photo. I haven't messed around with the dash plastic to see if that dark gray portion photographed pops out separately. If it does, I'd also be interested in finding a good cheap source for a replacement part. Then I can just buy a spare, pop it in, drill it, and put the original back in a few years when done.

thanks
Maybe take that cubby out, spray some release agent of some kind and pour some epoxy into it? That might hold and come out. If you screw it up you can fond the parts on eBay or someone on thus forum probably has one laying around. Especially if they did the Invertor add to their truck...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Hey there. New member and first post. My apologies if I screw up and post this in the wrong sub-forum or something.

Have a 2020 'Classic' Warlock crew cab. Got the basic V6 lease truck, since I'm here "stateside" for the next couple years before I'll be deploying back overseas. I mention that for context, because the point here is that I don't want to drill any holes in the dashboard plastic.

I mounted a CB by making an L-shaped wood bracket that wedges under the front seat. I'd like to mount the mic on the dash in a no-drill way.

What I'd really like to do is find a source for some hard foam or soft rubber (matching gray ideally) that I could cut to wedge in this relatively useless hole on the right side of the center console. Then I could drill into that.

Many years ago I had some 4" cube blocks of a slightly pliable but very dense foam with a notch cut out on one side. They were made to slip on bicycle frames so bikes wouldn't bang up against each other on a car rack and scratch the paint. They're long gone, but I wish I could find a material like that. I've looked around Home Depot, online sources, even craft stores.

I guess I should have titled the thread, "Help me find the right rubber." But I prolly haven't been here long enough to say stuff like that.

Thanks

View attachment 240381
You could cut & paint a piece of wood & wedge it in with some rubber like you put in tool box drawers to make sure it didn’t rattle or crack the plastic.

OP
OP
Grogu

Grogu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You could cut & paint a piece of wood & wedge it in with some rubber like you put in tool box drawers to make sure it didn’t rattle or crack the plastic.

I was thinking that too, if I can't find a source for a nice little rubber block to whittle down.

Rubber or hard foam is the first option if I can find some good and cheap, but yeah, likely I'll go with Plan B which is painted wood.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
When i had the Jeep I first used the idea for the magnetic gun mounts by just taking a strong magnet with 3M tape. The mic would stay, but would slip off after some good bumps. Then I used one of these. Pretty sweet. The metal mic mount button fits nicely into the recess and never fell out. The tape that came on mine wasn't the best and I put on the 3M molding tape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CB-Radio-M...215019?hash=item5248c567eb:g:aEQAAOSwwL5fojvQ

Or double $$ but wont have to wait the month https://www.amazon.com/DEF-Magnetic...c+Magnetic+Mount+Holder&qid=1615260347&sr=8-4

But some 3m molding tape instead of screws on the tabs on something like this, will hold it no with problem to the flat panel under the cubby
IMG_9912_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grogu

Grogu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
But some 3m molding tape instead of screws on the tabs on something like this, will hold it no with problem to the flat panel under the cubby

Thanks.

How well / cleanly will the molding tape come off the plastic a few years later?

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks

View attachment 240381
when i drove truck we used to get those mini bungee chords and putnone end on the mic and one end on thenoverhead console so the mic hung in arms reach and you always had easy access.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks.

How well / cleanly will the molding tape come off the plastic a few years later?
ive had the double back tape come off easily on some and not so easily on others...but using goop gone or some similar type adhesive removal finished the job

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
on my old 2009 Ram, i had a hole on the opposite side of the dash

1627277803684.png
1627277961301.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
We had to remove the center stack cover to do some wiring & room to work with our hands to do the radio install

Just take the rubber pad from above the radio
Then there are 2 screws to remove
If you have the 115 volt outlet, then there is 1 more screw holding it in

Then pry the center stack cover off, work your way around the edges until the little clips all pop off
You do NOT need to touch the radio itself
look at the left side of the panel & you can see the cubby from the inside, & you can figure out a couple ways to add your switches

2009 - 2012 comes off the same way

I will see if i can find an image or 2 of the radio bezel / center stack

the bezel with every thing unscrewed from it

1628475029892.png

vents and some parts reattached
1628475113253.png

back side view

1628475379131.png

Last edited:

canuck_wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 power wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
little late to the party but this is what i did for a no drill mic holder...best part free ..stole it from the wifes office hahaha........a paper binder clip thing

Attachments

• 241663201_893375378250729_5988433886412292002_n.jpg
    241663201_893375378250729_5988433886412292002_n.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 241731544_1865628750275729_6104289857735621071_n.jpg
    241731544_1865628750275729_6104289857735621071_n.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 10
  • 241853426_1916089545235113_430279025731740635_n.jpg
    241853426_1916089545235113_430279025731740635_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 10

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OF course, you could always use the pen holder above the radio
if you take the rubber pad out, there are 2 screws under the pad

You could make a bracket that would be held on by those screws

Depending on how you shape the bracket, the Microphone Cord may hang in front of the radio
which could be a distraction

1631564916053.png

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drove semi for over 30 years and after using the cloth covered bungees for years they came out with a gear keeper. They have different sizes for different weight but basically its a black plastic box with a coil spring like a tape measure has in it. It has a hook on the end to attach to the mike. Used them for years, and they seem to last a long time. Just look up gearkeeper.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks
I have always installed my ham radios in my rams in the same location since the 70's. And I attach the mic clip to a small piece of aluminum , then attach it to the dash with 3m double stick tape.

Attachments

• 20200608_141148.jpg
    20200608_141148.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 11

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hammerhead Gear Keeper. You can find those things on Amazon, Ebay, even Walmart. No sticky stuff, no screws, no velcro. A lot of CBers and truckers use those things.