CB radio information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wanting to get a CB radio for my 2018 PW. I've never owned one. I need to know if it will be easy to wire into my truck and what type of radio should I get. I'm technically challenged, so don't need bluetooth and all that stuff. Just a basic radio I can listen to and use in case of emergencies. Oh, and where to best mount the antenna. I have a bed cover.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well good morning.
The best place to mount the radio is in the useless cubby hole under the dash. If you're gonna hard wire it in... I recommend going directly to the battery.
Having a bedcover I'm gonna say use a magnet mount on the roof.
I'm n the same boat same truck.
I'm a retired truck driver and having a cb in my truck is just about as important to me as having seatbelts. Lol.
As far as a brand...
That really depends on how your gonna use it really. There's so many different kinds of radios out there.
If...
Traffic/weather only: Cobra 19 or 25 with (WX)
Side band: long distance conversation Galaxy 66,99 Connex,
and many other high power companies.
No matter what radio you decide to go with make sure to get it peaked and tuned at a good cb shop. Even if you have to ship it to them or buy one from them already tuned.
Antenna choice is another major component. Again depending on your needs/wants.

I'll monitor this thread to help you out as best as I can.

I have a cb setup that I've talked on for years and a large collection of radios too.
My favorite radio is a Galaxy 99 ssb. I've talked over 1300 miles between myself and the other person with it. It has the capability with its channels and settings I could even talk from Dallas Texas to Canada.

I Hope's this helps somewhat.
You can also pm me if you want to.

Blue Mule

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
First, the days of Breaker Breaker 19er are pretty much over. In the Jeeps we traded in each had a CB. The only time the CB had any traffic on it was when 2 old farts would have bi-weekly chats, camping convoy with the in-laws and when the interstate would get shut down. I could not even get radio checks 90% of the time.

https://www.americanradiosupply.com...yaVcML0t91_iwVDsEF66_-iN3BzIqqHoaAnVwEALw_wcB
upload_2020-4-2_7-3-38.png

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...I6xJmYTIeKJmuKNowrlZr9gWC-AgKQ68aAgFLEALw_wcB
upload_2020-4-2_7-5-59.png

Firestik is da ****, in the Jeep world. I never used one of these, but they were
used here and there. They do require the cable with terminals vs the standard
cable.

This mound can be used anywhere there is flat metal
upload_2020-4-2_7-23-53.png
https://www.wearecb.com/firestik-m2...awSUwdoUJoghAOPrIvDIw9254og4b3lUaAgHtEALw_wcB

company site look on left "side mount molded"
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

here is the cable
https://www.wearecb.com/cb-coax-cable-rg8x-ring-terminals.html

Radio: I used the cobra 75wst. Everything is in the mic. The box is the
ant. and external speaker interface. If you mount the connector plate
in a "hidden" area, you can connect and disconnect at will to get it out
of the way when not being used.
upload_2020-4-2_7-29-26.png

As for power, the cig lighter is an easy tappable source. I can't find it
right now, but there is a connector that adds a power circuit that keeps
you from having to strip insulation, connect and re-insulate.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have a CB radio in my 1998 Chevrolet K1500. The last time that I actually used it was in the mid-2000's. I remember talking with my son in Laramie Wyoming while driving west towards him on Interstate 80. The only other chats I heard besides nearly all static seems to be a few truckers speaking in their Spanish language with some Mexican slang with lots of cuss words that I understood. The emergency Channel 9 wasn't off limits for their casual conversations. Also, had a few illegal CBers whom would override our conversations with profanity of which I could clearly listen to across Colorado and Wyoming. Having young children in my truck the ******* discussions coming over the CB speaker of sex and female ****** anatomy was rampant. My wife demanded it to be off. The 6 foot antenna still looks cool though.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Honestly I installed cb in my truck and never used it. They’re basically dead. Everybody has switched to gmrs radios. They’re busy enough that we have to change channels when we’re out wheeling to get on our own group with no cross chatter But I removed my lower cubby and installed it in that spot. Was clean. Just never used it so I got my cubby back.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for your comments. After reading the last two posts, I am reconsidering the radio purchase. I never considered that they'd become somewhat obsolete.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of truckers are going VHF as it has better range
I run with CB VHF & UHF in my Jeep and that is to talk to the people I am wheeling with and depends on the group what radio I use

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Now days if it's not loud(modulation wise) well over 100 watts then don't expect many to talk back.
That's why I recommend to have the radios peaked and tuned. Max modulation and max wattage output.

Blue Mule

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stryker 447HPC2 radio... big radio in a small package...fits in places others won't.

As a trucker I've owned many radios, some good, some great... and a few bad ones too.

The 447 is by far the best one I've ever owned, not the most powerful, but the best overall.... I'm gonna put one in my Ram soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for your comments. After reading the last two posts, I am reconsidering the radio purchase. I never considered that they'd become somewhat obsolete.

I encourage you to look into amateur radio or "HAM". Just got my ticket last year, its not as big as it used to be but still plenty of people out there doing it. Still many many repeaters everywhere, they also have emergency outfits you could look into, RACES, ARES, SKYWARN. You can get home, mobile, handheld units, don't have to spend a ton of money, i don't. Also i believe a good bit of people use it for wheeling, etc. Theres a frequency, called NATIONAL CALL 146.520. Its the nationally accepted emergency channel. Monitor all the time. Something called wilderness protocol, which i think is kind of cool, To save battery power you turn on your radio for 3 mins, every 3 hours starting at Noon. Some vary, some start at 7. 5minutes.

Any way the test isn't that hard, go to hamstudy.org, theres an app on your phone. Study for about a month few minutes to hour a day, you'll be good.

Just wanted to throw out an alternative for you. Good Luck.

Also, a great guy on you tube i watch " Ham Radio Crash Course."

hayseed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I run a few of the little Cobra 75’s all in the mic. Great little package. NAPA has an antenna that sticks to the rear window with a piece with the wire mounting on the inside of the glass. Easy to run wires that way and no drilling. I mount the all in one mic just below the start button so the speaker of the mic is in ear shot. Makes a clean install. The power box can be stuffed up in behind the dash.

Timster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess it all depends on what you are looking for and hope to get out of your setup.

You can run a little Uniden Pro 510 or 520 for a small footprint and inexpensive, slap a 1x2 amp with it (though not legal) and get great performance out of it. You can go with either 3/8x24, NMO or SO239 mount antennas.

All your choice and can go full size if you want, export radio, SSB.

I run an AM/FM/SSB Radio and a GMRS and MURS Radio as the folks I 4x4 with, some use CB, some GMRS and some MURS so I have all and actually use CB and GMRS a lot even when not out 4 wheeling.

It certainly isn’t for everyone and is not like it was in the 70’s and early 80’s but those times got crazy on the crowded side.

Mine are mounted in a 2018 Wagon.

TruckRadios03.jpg TruckRadios04.jpg

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The other piece, probably more importantly, is the antenna. Even the cheapest of 2-way radios will not perform without a properly tuned, well-made, efficient antenna, which in all likelihood means drilling holes in the body (roof). Different antenna mounting techniques are generally compromises and effect TX/RX performance.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Guess it all depends on what you are looking for and hope to get out of your setup.

You can run a little Uniden Pro 510 or 520 for a small footprint and inexpensive, slap a 1x2 amp with it (though not legal) and get great performance out of it. You can go with either 3/8x24, NMO or SO239 mount antennas.

All your choice and can go full size if you want, export radio, SSB.

I run an AM/FM/SSB Radio and a GMRS and MURS Radio as the folks I 4x4 with, some use CB, some GMRS and some MURS so I have all and actually use CB and GMRS a lot even when not out 4 wheeling.

It certainly isn’t for everyone and is not like it was in the 70’s and early 80’s but those times got crazy on the crowded side.

Mine are mounted in a 2018 Wagon.

View attachment 241135 View attachment 241136
Exactly where I had mine. I removed it when I traded my Ram in. Yes I bought another Ram. MOPAR OR NO CAR!!

Black 20 Ram

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use a CB every day that i work, i have to have it according to FCC Rules.

If you buy a small radio, you will be lucky to talk to anyone that is a block or 2 away, unless you have something to Boost the signal.

The cobra 75wst hardly reaches out at all, even when using a Big WIL magnetic mount antenna
My cobra 75wst is one of the radio that i rent out to the Highway Patrol when we are on a job
We are never more than 1/4 miles apart

cbradiopix006.jpg

cbradiopix004.jpg

If you want a CB, i suggest getting a Uniden or Cobra, similar to this, if you want to know what is going on around you on the highway
If you purchase this or a CB with more knobs, you should be able to reach out about a mile with no Booster
-Radio-40-channel-PC68LTX-cb-radios-uniden_704x469.jpg

Put the CB under the drivers seat & buy an extra long 9' microphone cord, you can get them cut to any length at a CB shop, you will want them to trim the antenna down to get the best signal using a SWR meter,

If you want to talk to someone in a different County or State, get a Ham Radio after getting a Ham License

Some CBers will tell you that they have talked to someone that was 3,000 miles away, the only way that happens is when a electrical phenomenon occurs, that is when there is SunSpot activity

https://cardboardamerica.org/2016/10/31/cb-convac-can-sunspots-kill-cb/#:~:text=Sunspot activity causes CB signals,range of a CB radio.&text=But when sunspots build in,atmosphere known as the ionosphere.

Last edited: